La Fiermontina Italy
La Fiermontina – Urban Resort in Lecce
Piazzetta Scipione de Summa, 4 – 73100 Lecce
Privately owned by Fouad Giacomo Filali.
Date of Creation
8th July 2015
Hotel General Manager
Antonia Yasmina Filali. She is the owner’s sister and Antonia Fiermonte’s granddaughter.
5-Star Luxury, Boutique hotel.
History & Story
An evening stroll on the silvery cobblestones of Lecce’s historic town led French businessman Giacomo Fiermonte past the “for sale” sign outside a 17th century house.
Inspiration for this project came from a grandson’s desire to pay tribute to his maternal grandmother, Antonia Fiermonte. Born in Puglia, Antonia joined the legendary art scene that was Paris in the early 1930s, amidst the birth of Modernism, Dadaism and Surrealism. Her brother, Enzo Fiermonte lived a no less epic life, becoming a champion boxer then an actor, and marrying the American socialite, Lady Astor. Giacomo bought the house to reconnect with his own heritage: a new build architecture fusing tradition and minimalism.
This 15-bedroom urban resort is an entirely original address of understated refinements and thoughtful comforts built around a rare 17th century private home. It was bought in 2004 and, to realize this tribute to his native born grandmother, the Parisian owner sought out the eminent Pugliese architect, Antonio Annicchiarico, who has realized projects for director Roberto Benigni and the Hermes family and decided to use soft Pietra Leccese for the walls and Marmo di Trani for the floors.
Date added extensions
Main Strengths, Special Touch
The Resort feels very much like a home, a grand and elegant yet intimate and welcoming private home which guests can make their own. The emphasis is on great service that is also warm and individually tailored.
La Fiermontina is located in the very heart of Lecce’s historical centre within minutes from scenic Piazza Sant’Oronzo and the iconic baroque Basilica di Santa Croce.
Key sites/activities in the area
Salento is a mixture of minimalism and multiculturalism with its captivating places and styles, quiet, unchanged by time, unspoiled by perfection and inspiration. From the Baroque city of Lecce to Santa Maria di Leuca, to the secret inland villages of vineyards and ceramics, Salento is fascinating and various.
City of poets, talented artists, architects, interior designers, Lecce is a magical place that appears on the itineraries of ever more luxury travelers. It is a stunning combination of Baroque architecture and the local singular creamy-white limestone or pietra leccese.
The olive trees in the garden are 250 year old. They were individually transplanted onto the site during renovation, to create a perfect olive grove. The black olives are harvested every year and yeld a small batch of excellent « La Fiermontina » extra virgin olive oil.
Special children and teenager entertainment packages are available, offering activities ranging from biking to excursions, art clubs and more.
- Number of suites: 6 (2 Duplex Suites and 4 One-Bedroom Suites).
- The One-Bedroom Suite is the most spacious option, with an average total area of 540 square feet. It is comprised of a double bedroom, a separate sitting room and a spacious bathroom. The double bed is either King or Queen size; an extra sofa bed for one or two people is also present in some of the suites. The four suites are comfortably furnished in the hotel’s signature mix of high-end design, vintage and antiques pieces. Ample built-in storage and wardrobe space are discreetely hidden behind design panel blinds. Some of the suites also feature period stone fireplaces. Many of the suites have a private outside sitting area or terrace. The suites are equipped with either a 40inch or a 48 inch tv, complimentary SKY HD and wifi, air conditioning, stereo system. All room services, including check-in and out operations, are easily managed by the guest through a touchpad. The ample bathrooms feature very spacious showers, in some cases complemented by a free-standing bath tub. One of the suites features twin wash basins. The overall feel is that of a luxurious spa, further enhanced by the organic toiletries provided alongside the hairdryer and accessories. The suites have a safe.
- The Duplex Suites, with an average area of 380 square feet, have a unique layout thanks to the extra ceiling height: a short Lecce stone staircase leads from the comfortable sitting area up to a spacious timber mezzanine where the bedroom is located. The double beds are either King or Queen size. The suites are beautifully furnished and enhanced by original artwork and antiques. The suites are equipped with either 40 inch or 48 inch-screen TV, complimentary SKY HD and wifi, air conditioning and touchpad for room services management. The bathrooms have spacious showers and luxurious design fittings; organic toiletries, accessories and a hairdryer are provided. The suites have a safe.
- Number of Luxury rooms:
- Number of rooms, (keys) in all: 15 (plus 1 Superior Room featuring a bathroom with disabled facilities)
Restaurants & Bars
• La Fiermontina Restaurant – Chef Simone Solido. The restaurant serves elevated interpretations of cucina povera, which can be eaten in the elegant main dining room or alfresco amid the olive and orange trees in the hotel’s walled garden.The gastronomical options in this particular region of Puglia are especially rich and varied and only local, fresh products are used. A classic example of this is Puglia’s signature dish, orecchiette con le cime di rapa: pasta cooked with turnip greens. Freshness of ingredients is all-important as is the their provenance: durum wheat, tomatoes, artichokes, fava beans, courgettes, beans, fennel, peppers, onions, seafood.
• Bar Enzo. In the dimly lit Enzo bar that was once a barn, film posters adorn the walls and Tobia Scarpa’s orb-like Suspension Nictes lighting fixtures hang above the gold –paneled bar like jewels that follow the roundness of the stone vault. The Hotel bar Enzo is the perfect lounge area in which to spend some time before or after any lunch or dinner. The bar offers an ample choice of wines, cocktails and liquors.
• Spa treatments or massages are provided on request and carried out by a few selected and highly qualified therapists. Services can be tailored to meet individual needs and range from Hot Stone Massage to Vibrational Massage with Tibetan Bell, meditation and yoga sessions and much more.
• We have a pool in our olive grove, which is for the exclusive use of our hotel guests.
Corporate & Celebration Events
• Small events (max 35/40 people) can be arranged on request. This however is very much subject to hotel occupancy as great care is taken not to impinge on our guests’ peace and privacy.
• A meeting room on the first floor, adjacent to the library room, can accomodate around 22 guests and features desks and a presentation screen.
Extra Notable Features
• La Fiermontina offers a range of exclusive « experiences », including massage, meditation, bike or horse riding cooking lessons and much more, all designed to make our guests’ holiday even more special and unforgettable.
Hotel and restaurant Awards
• Travel and Leisure It list 2016
• Booking.com Award
• Best New Luxury Hotels 2015
Number of employees
12 permanent staff plus seasonal staff