Luxury boutique hotel located at the foot of the Pope’s Palace at the heart of Avignon. Former private mansion of the cardinals built in the 14th century. Owned by a family of art collectors who renovated the place in order to keep alive the 7 centuries of its memory.
History & Story
Historic La Mirande hotel occupies an exalted spot in Avignon: originally a 14th-century cardinal’s mansion, it sits opposite the former popes’ palace, the Palais des Papes. The building has served as a hotel for the past few centuries, and today combines its long heritage of hosting travellers with its history as a grand and opulent home. The current owners spent three years working with a Parisian interior designer and a local architect to restore La Mirande to its former grandeur… as well as filling it with their personal collection of art and antiques and readying it for discerning modern guests.
Date added extensions
2012 (6 new rooms located in the garden).
Main Strengths, Special Touch
View over the Pope’s Palace, pieces of arts and antique furniture. Historic kitchen with a wood-burning-stove where chef Severine Sagnet organizes chief’s tables and cooking lessons.
At the very center of Avignon, overlooking the Popes’Palace.
Key sites/activities in the area
Pope’s Palace and Avignon bridge. Pont du Gard, Luberon and Alpilles. Lavande area (june/july) and truffle hunting (december/march). Wine testing at Châteauneuf-du-Pape.
Cooking school : lessons including the visit of the Avignon covered market, Second week-end of December : Christmas market at the hotel with craftsmen and food degustations, Main French theater festival in july.
Cooking lessons dedicated to children.
• Number of suites: 1 55 square meters overlooking the Pope’s Palace.
• Number of Luxury rooms: 16 35-45 quare meters, king size beds, bathtub and shower separated, all twinable.
• Number of rooms (keys) in all: 26.
Restaurants & Bars
• Gourmet restaurant closed every Tuesday and Wednesday (except during the theater festival in july). Traditional cooking with a mediterranean touch based on local products. • Bar/salon de thé. • Chief’s table every Tuesday and Wednesday (or every day on request from 8 to 15 people): culinary event beginning with a wine-testing in the wine cellar and followed by a live dinner cooked by the chef on the wood-burning-stove in the historic kitchen. • Cooking lessons: set agenda for FITs or every day for small groups.
Massages in the rooms possible.
Corporate & Celebration Events
• Up to 150 people (cocktails or dinners), • Meeting facilities up to 60 people.