La Posta Vecchia Hotel Italy
La Posta Vecchia Hotel
Palo Laziale, 00055 Palo Laziale (RM),
Date of Creation
Hotel General Manager
Alberto Pirozzini, in charge of the Area General Manager
5 – star Luxury (LHW)
La Posta Vecchia Hotel
History & Story
La Posta Vecchia is a unique witness to Italian history. A seaside loved by Roman imperators, a Renaissance palazzo for the noble Orsini family and home to the billionaire J. P. Getty, who filled it with Italian art treasures. glorious 17th Century tapestry, dignified marble busts of Roman emperors Flavio Vespasiano and Agrippa, and an antiquarian map by Giovanni Battista Piranesi, welcome the guest at La Posta Vecchia. This is a taste of the magnificent furnishings that adorn every wall and room of La Posta Vecchia, a collection made by Getty with his art historian Federico Zeri. Finally, Roberto Sciò found La Posta Vecchia irresistible and in 1980 made it his family home. Today, her daughter Marie-Louise, Creative Director and Vice president of Pellicano Hotels Group with an architectural background, nurtures the hotel with a very special care and dynamism.
Main Strengths, Special Touch
Built upon the remains of a Roman villa from the II century b.c.
Close to Rome city center and Fiumicino airport, overlooking the sea
Owned by J. Paul Getty where he lived with his family
Restoration reveals Roman ruins During Getty’s restoration of La Posta Vecchia, a Roman villa dating back to the 2nd century BC was revealed. First in the gardens, where the ruins remain open to nature and our guests, then beneath the Renaissance foundations. The Archaeological Authority carried out excavation work, discovering ancient walls, colourful mosaics, African and Greek marble as well as an array of plate, amphorae and ampules. Today the guests have a private view of these valuable discoveries in La Posta Vecchia’s museum on the lower ground floor.
Key sites/activities in the area
- Horseback Riding
- Water Sports
- Helicopter tour
Number of suites: 8
- Getty Master Suite 1. A majestic suite overlooking the sea furnished with a 16th century Venetian chest, a 17th century armchair from Northern Italy, Meissen porcelain on the walls and rich woven carpets on the floors.
- Medici Master Suite 1. A splendid suite in the wing belonging to Getty and his mistress, a wealth of history, art and decadence. Today guests live in equal splendour amidst fine pieces, such as a 17th century De Rosi map of Lazio, a similar period marbled table from Naples and an exquisite ornate hand-crafted bed.
- Senior Suite 3. Three extravagant suites overlooking the sea or gardens, each room has its own rich character. Interiors are aristocratic, bathrooms combine small caves of Carrara marbles with opulent furnishings.
- Junior Suite 3. Three gorgeous Suites ideal for families. Two of them, overlook the sea through picturesque medieval size windows, on the attic floor, while one Suite, with a view over the manicured Italian style gardens, is on the first floor.
Number of Luxury rooms:
Number of rooms, (keys) in all: 11
- Superior Deluxe Room 3. Three luxury rooms, elegant and spacious, with view on the nearest castle and the sea. The interiors are a result of a precious collection of XVIII century that create an old fashion atmosphere, a revival of Getty’s taste.
- Superior Deluxe 5. Mainly overlooking the Italian gardens. Some are furnished in Renaissance style with antiques, their bathrooms have travertine, marble or ceramic tiled showers or bathtubs, others are more contemporary.
- Double Standard 3. Cozy and warm in their style, these luxury standard rooms of 30 square meters, are located on the second floor and feature garden views these rooms are furnished in a contemporary style, warm and inviting, with ceramic tiled bathrooms-showers or tub.
Restaurants & Bars
- The Cesar – Gourmet Restaurant. Beneath the terrace gentle seas lap the palazzo walls, the tables are simply dressed in white linen and minimum glassware, giving centre stage to the gourmet cuisine of La Posta Vecchia’s culinary maestro, Antonio Magliulo. Every day the Chef is delighted to discover some special ingredients which he presents with gusto for his guests, it may be a white truffle or a courgette flower from La Posta Vecchia’s organic garden
HEALTH & BEAUTY CENTRE Healing hands. Overlooking the stone indoor pool, it is the delicious soul of La Posta Vecchia. Our director of wellness follows what she terms ‘a farm to spa’ concept using both the refined organic range Santa Maria Novella of Firenze and ingredients from La Posta Vecchia’s verdant gardens.
BOUTIQUE The Corner Shop. The Boutique is a cornucopia of treasures. Marie- Louise Sciò has made her selection amongst the most eye-catching Italian creativity, with a view to things that guests might need at leisure. In 2020 the boutique was enriched with the new products of ISSIMO, the latest exciting venture created by Marie-Louise Sciò.
FITNESS AND SPORT Trim and slim or take a dip. By the helipad rises the tennis court, there is a keep fit trail and complimentary bicycles are available for the guests. The Beach Club is an exclusive spot and dinghy sailing, windsurfing, kayaks and paddle boards are all available from La Posta Vecchia.
Corporate & Celebration Events
- La Posta Vecchia offers an extraordinary location with historic style and it is available for intimate private occasions: weddings, parties or business and incentive programs. Each of the 19 rooms and suites is a small museum of art and it is possible to retain the entire villa for exclusive use. The meeting space in the top turret is fresh with sunlight and can host 70 delegates, there are two breakout rooms on the same floor, and the richly decorated reception rooms: Camino, Piranesi and Getty, available individually or together.
Extra Notable Features
- La Posta Vecchia Health & Beauty Club
- Beach Club
- Cooking Demonstrations
- Wine Tasting
- Vegetable Garden
- Private Museum
- Private Dining
- Exclusive Use
- Vegetable Garden
Hotel and restaurant Awards
- Readers’ Choise Awards Top Hotels in Italy 2018
Number of employees