20 rue du Sauvage, 13200 Arles
Date of Creation
Hotel General Manager
Théodora GALANOS – Born in the world of hospitality as I grew up in my parents’ restaurant, I have developed a strong taste for gastronomy and service since my early youth. After Hotel Management studies in an American school in Paris, I had the chance to learn from top quality hotels while working for major hotel companies, such as Hilton or IHG; I also had the opportunity to travel the world from London to French Polynesia and serve guests from different horizon. Today it is a real chance to be part of this complete work of art in a city as cultural & historical as Arles.
Jorge PARDO said “ It’s not exactly an hotel. It goes beyond this definition”
Our development strategy also lies on this vision. We want to make it extra special for our guests even when promoting it.
Our hotel ‘s rooms are only sold directly on our website. We are not distributed through traditional OTA channels nor through large tour operators.
We value the relationship with our partners and more precisely with travel agents.
History & Story
L’Arlatan has had several owners and served various uses throughout the centuries. The building has not always been a hotel.
It has existed since the Roman Period in the 5th century. Through this life, it has had different uses like: a palace in the 5th of century, a political seat (from 1150 and until the 13th century), military barracks in the first third of the 20th century and now is a mansion.
Maja Hoffmann acquired L’Arlatan in February 2014. It became a collaborative project between Maja Hoffmann and Jorge Pardo. Maja Hoffmann wanted to enlarge the surface of the mansion and give it a new breath of life, as well as highlight its prestigious past.
The artist Jorge Pardo completely renovated L’Arlatan. Construction began at the end of 2015. L’Arlatan officially opened in October 2018 after three years of renovation.
The main renovations made include:
– The restoration of the original ceilings, using a special pigmentation technique. After many precise studies of the original color tones and forms, the frescoes could be repainted faithfully;
– The restoration of the wooden frame structure. The original wooden frame was salvaged and restored entirely;
– Preservation of ancient walls;
– The strengthening of the monumental staircase;
– The preservation of the underground spaces classified as heritage sites.
Main Strengths, Special Touch
As for L’Arlatan, Mr. Pardo was given carte blanche to carry out this total work of art. Jorge was inspired by Van Gogh’s paintings and wanted to represent scenes of everyday life through a display of his paintings in the hotel. Each piece of furniture in L’Arlatan is a signed and listed work of art. All chandeliers and ceiling lights were designed by Jorge Pardo and add the finishing touch to L’Arlatan. The hotel is covered with 6,000 square meters of the mosaic — 4,000 of which are on the floor.
L’Arlatan is located in the historic center of Arles, just a stone’s throw from the Rhone, the Arena and the bustling Place du Forum.
Key sites/activities in the area
Arles is a city with a lot of culture and history. There are 86 monuments. The hotel is located near a lot of them: the Arena, the Roman Amphitheater, la Place du Forum… Also the visitor can see Luma Arles, an ambitious project envisions an interdisciplinary center dedicated to the production of exhibitions and ideas, research, education, and archives.
All the doors are tailor-made by Jorge PARDO for l’ARLATAN: one can find not only Japonese Samourai but also a friendly drawing of the artist with Mrs. Hoffmann or a picture of the artist’ s daughter…Every door is unique and share history or fun details linked to the hotel DNA…
Everyone is welcome at L’Arlatan but there isn’t a dedicated space for children. However, we offer children books dedicated to Art life and Van Gogh paintings. Children have access to wonderful workshops at Luma Arles but also at Van Gogh Foundation. Everything is walking distance in Arles so children can discover the Antique history with real gladiators in the Arenas or enjoy a special visit with a guide specialized into photography. Last, Camargue is a wonderful wild land where horses, bulls and birds are everywhere. Private SUV transfers can be organized from the hotel.
Number of suites: 9
Number of rooms, (keys) in all: 35
- 5 Classic rooms: from 23 to 25 sqm
- 16 Superior rooms: from 22 to 32 sqm
- 5 Deluxe rooms: from 30 to 41 sqm
- 4 Suites : from 43 to 50 sqm
- 5 Suites Arlatan : from 47 to 65 sqm
Room amenities: air conditioning, bathrobe, telephone with external line, dogs allowed, hair dryer, laundry services, internet access (wifi), mini bar, private bathroom & WC, safe box, desk, TV, pool towels,”mignardise”.
Restaurants & Bars
- Restaurant (L’Arlatan, Provençal and Mediterranean cuisine, under the supervision of Michelin starred chef Armand Arnal)
- 2 bars (the first one dedicated to mixology and the other one is dedicated to spirits)
- Garden: the new garden, formerly a Provençal courtyard, in harmony with Pardo’s vision offers tropical vegetation around a colorful pool. The garden conceived by Pardo combines exoticism and conviviality with a unique variety of plants.
- Pool: The heated pool, covered in mosaics, was entirely designed by Pardo. A counter-current swimming system with two jets has also been installed.
- Gym: The gym is equipped exclusively with wooden exercise machines. Its Japanese-style doors blend perfectly with the stone wall above the mosaic.
Corporate & Celebration Events
- Two seminar rooms are available within the hotel. The first one is adjacent to the lobby and boasts blue faceted ceilings, showing Pardo’s detailed work. The South facing wall panel portrays Tecoh, the Yucatan jungle in Mexico, while the North facing side represents a “barbacoa”, a traditional Mexican oven dug in the ground.
- The second one, is located on the 1st floor of the main building and is accessible by the corridor. Overlooking the patio, this room has enticing large windows that provide bountiful light from the ceiling frescoes.
Extra Notable Features
- Private access to Luma Foundation
- Private transfers between our hotels and our Michelin-starred restaurant
Hotel and restaurant Awards
• Short list of the Restaurant &Bar Design Awards