NEW HOTEL GREECE
16 Fillelinon Str. Syntagma 10557 Athens
Yes ! Hotels
Date of Creation
Hotel General Manager
Mrs. Stefania Flenga, Managing Director Yes! Hotels group, former DOSM for Yes! Hotels Group for the past 7 years
5-star Design Hotel
Our intention was to create a hotel that functioned as an artwork in itself. It was not about a Hotel with Artworks on its walls that felt like a museum but about a hotel where the guest would participate and experience being part of an art process. At the same time we wanted the guest to feel totally comfortable and at ease. We feel the Campana Brothers did a miraculous work in achieving this aim.
History & Story
Offering an entirely NEW approach to young interior design, energetic hospitality, and seductive customer-centered services, NEW Hotel is the first ever hotel project of award winning designer duo, Fernando and Humberto Campana. YES! Hotels owner and international arts patron Dakis Joannou commissioned the Brazilian brothers for their eco-sensitive ethos and the use of contemporary handicraft practices and local idioms. Drawn to their specific language, which in turn draws from urban street life, contemporary art and the São Paulo favela culture, Joannou gave them absolute freedom to dream.
The result is an intriguing 79-room establishment with simply outstanding interiors, where the unusual custom-made furniture and handmade fixtures making guests feel that they live and breathe in a major art installation.
Situated in the former Olympic Palace Hotel, NEW Hotel, encompasses the heritage of its past by using recycled parts of the old hotel and reinterpreted local materials to create a complete work of art, making it the one and only contemporary boutique hotel in the city of Athens.
Date added extensions
Main Strengths, Special Touch
Prime location : within walking distance from the city’s main attractions. Both leisure and business travelers will enjoy this enviable NEW hotel, right at the centre of Athens.
Roof top Bar Restaurant: Situated on 7th floor of the hotel, Art Lounge serves outstanding food and cocktails, topped off with panoramic views of Athens.
Design & Artwork: Enter New Hotel, Athens and step inside a major art installation.
Our biggest investment is our people : This makes sense, as we place our guests at the center of our service philosophy, creating an international environment of luxury and indulgence, all the time accentuating local traditions and authentic culture.
Located on Filellinon Street, next to Constitution Square (Syntagma Square), the hotel is perfectly positioned for the sights of Athens, including the ruins of Plaka, the Acropolis and its museum, the stylish boutique shopping district of Kolonaki, and the bustling business zone.
Key sites/activities in the area
Acropolis Museum : www.theacropolismuseum.gr
Museum of Cycladic Art : www.cycladic.gr
National Archaeological Museum : www.namuseum.gr
Benaki Museum : www.benaki.gr
Deste Foundation for Contemporary Art : www.deste.gr
Onassis Cultural center : www.sgt.gr
The Breeder : www.thebreedersystem.com
State of Concept : www.stateofconcept.org
Zoumboulakis Galleries : www.zoumboulakis.gr
The Blender Gallery : www.theblendergallery.com
Radio Athens : www.radioathenes.org
Each of the 79 guestrooms and suites is in reality, set up as a living art installation for guests to relax in and enjoy. They all present a poetic re-working of Greek popular tradition, which develops around three themes: KARAGIOZIS, POSTCARDS of old Athens, the EVIL EYE, a bead charm used to guard against ill omen and bad luck.
• Number of rooms in all: 79
• Standard rooms X 15 : With a generous 20 to 23 square meters of space, these rooms are unusually large for standard rooms. Offering a side street view, they catch the vibe of the historic neighbourhood. The majority of standard rooms have their own private balcony.
• Superior rooms X 22 : Superbly arranged, they feel bigger than their 23 to 25 square meters. The superior rooms offer a side-street view, beating with the city’s pulse. Two superior rooms on the 6th floor face the Acropolis. An extra bed can be added upon request.
• Superior plus rooms X 17: Superbly arranged, they feel bigger than their 23 to 25 square meters. Two side-street superior rooms, located on the 6th floor, offer stunning views of Lycabetus Hill, seemingly bringing the trademark site right in. The front rooms on Filellinon street overlook the Russian Church of Sotira Lykodimou, the largest medieval building in Athens, and the exquisite National Gardens.
• Studios X 18: Studios cover 30 square meters of sophisticated design, including a comfortable sitting area to wind down. The majority of studios are street corner rooms, overlooking the Russian Church of Sotira Lykodimou, the largest medieval building in Athens, and the exquisite National Gardens. There are a few studios with a side-street view, again radiating comfort and style.
• Junior Suites X 6: Generously spaced in their 35 square meters, the junior suites treat their guests regally, offering separate sleeping and living room areas. Comfortable sofas are a must, as PLAYSTATION entertainment equipment is available in all the suites. There is also authentic modern art on display, as each suite boasts a unique art installation from renowned Greek artists. For information on the participating artists please check the art section. All junior suites overlook a hanging garden, with intricately woven walls.
•Penthouse Suite X 1: Designed to perfection, the spacious penthouse suite encapsulates the Campana aesthetic in all its 70 square meters. Every piece of furniture, every fixture and furnishing, even the custom-made carpet has been handpicked to create a sense of understated yet unsurpassable exclusivity. Each space is meticulously designed to maximize comfort, with separate sleeping room and living room areas. Entirely cast from marble, the bathroom adds to the plush effect. The suite has a large terrace which appears to be embracing the city below, affording 360° views of all the historical landmarks, including the Acropolis, Lycabettus Hill, Syntagma Square and the House of Parliament.
Restaurants & Bars
• Art Lounge : situated on the 7th floor of the hotel, serving delicious dishes, topped off with panoramic views of Athens. The Art Lounge is designed by Humberto and Fernando Campana, in conjunction with students from the University of Thessaly, and features artwork from the Toilet Paper collection by Italian art aficionado Maurizio Cattelan and Pierpaolo Ferrari. It also features a library, home to over 2000 art books for guests.
• NEW Taste : Located on the ground floor, it is based on the iconic Favela Chair, with columns covered in long narrow strips of wood, reminiscent of the favelas in Brazil, and pieces of furniture from the old Olympic hotel. The all day restaurant serves a menu based on simple dishes from the Mediterranean, using the finest and freshest products, establishing a popular place for guests and Athenians alike, whist every Sunday best brunch in town takes place from 12h00-17h00.
• New Sense To experience a personal sense of re-NEW-al, there is no better place to visit than NEW SENSE, the Hotel’s Gym and Wellness Club. A fully stocked fitness room with brand new equipment is open on a twenty-four hour basis. NEW SENSE boasts a Jacuzzi and steam bath.
Corporate & Celebration Events
• The NEW meeting rooms are located on the mezzanine floor, also known as the “Workshop Floor”, a tribute to the creative collaboration of the Workshop team with the Campana brothers. They all feature state-of-the-art audiovisual equipment with WIFI and broadband internet. Bathed in natural day light, the meeting rooms evoke a bright ambience, accentuated with signature design furniture. A foyer area and restrooms complete the luxurious service.
With their facilities, their Campana-esque design, and the variety of spaces that they offer, meeting rooms offer an ideal venue to suit guests’ needs, from business meetings and teleconferences, to cocktails and gala dinners.
Extra Notable Features
Guests can choose between our recommended guided (half or full day) city tours: Cultural oriented, Contemporary Art guides, Athletic guides, Food oriented and Gastronomy tours etc.
Hotel and restaurant Awards
• Conde Nast Traveler Readers’ Choice Awards 2015
• Greek Tourism Awards 2015, Gold award
Number of employees