Poseidonion Grand Hotel
Spetses Island, Greece
Poseidonion Grand Hotel
Dapia, 18050, Spetses Island
Spetses Initiative S.A.
Date of Creation
Hotel General Manager
Previously worked in senior Management positions within significant hotels in Greece and abroad such as the Rome Cavalieri Hilton (Rome), The Eze Hermitage (Southern France), the King George Palace (Athens) and the luxury Aqua Blu Boutique Hotel and Spa (Kos).
5* Luxury Boutique Hotel
The Poseidonion Grand Hotel, for the moment has seasonal business and remains open between April and October. Our longterm goals is for the hotel to remain open for 12 months and towards this end, we are working constantly in order to improve and increase business in the off season periods.
POSEIDONION GRAND HOTEL
History & Story
The Poseidonion Grand Hotel has been a landmark on the Spetses skyline for the past 100 years with its exceptional architecture echoing hotels of Côte d’Azur style.The hotel which first opened in 1914 was the brainchild of Sotirios Anargiros, a visionary benefactor who was responsible for much of Spetses’ development. Futhermore it represented the cosmopolitan face of the island and soon became one of its famous landmarks and, what is more, rapidly became a favourite destination for high society, royalty and the wealthy Athenians.Following a meticulous five-year restoration programme which has brought the hotel fully up to date with the finest facilities, fixtures, and fittings while carefully preserving the original architecture of the building, Poseidonion Grand Hotel, fully refurbished, re-opened its doors in the summer of 2009, ready to welcome new visitors.
The hotel’s building is now separated in the New and the Historic Wing, including superior and deluxe rooms and suites which have unparalleled views of the Dapia Port area and the Argosaronic Gulf.
Spetses, where Poseidonion is located, is a car-free island, being approximately 180 km from Athens, in the heart of the Greek Riviera. Together with the close – by region of Porto Heli, the island represents a unique spot of interest for domestic and foreign visitors. With its rich naval history, the island played a key role in the history of the Greek War of Independence, being the first island which raised the flag of the Revolution. It is characterized by the beauty of the natural landscape full of pine trees, the absence of cars, the horse-carriages, the unique architecture of the Captains Mansions and the traditional shipyards.
This year, the hotel celebrates 100 years from its foundation through a series of festivities and events.
The Poseidonion Grand Hotel was first built in 1914 by renowned architect Panagiotis Zisilas and renewed in 2009 after a meticulous five year restoration programme.
Date added extensions
In 2009 a new wing was built which now houses … rooms in the style of the island houses and complimentary in architecture to the historic building.
Main Strengths, Special Touch
During the last century, Poseidonion, apart from a beacon of Greek hospitality, has been an inseparable part of Spetses holding significant presence at all the island’s major events and initiatives. Today, 5 years after its renaissance which main aim was to save the Historic Building and create a five-star hotel worthy of the needs of modern luxury travellers, Poseidonion continues to support the cultural and economic evolution of Spetses, enlivening the vision of its founder by being the heart of cultural, athletic and entrepreneurial initiatives for the promotion of Spetses and Greece.
Dapia, Spetses island
Key sites/activities in the area
• Mountain Biking in Spetses
• Yoga & Pilates
• Tai Chi Chuan
• Wheat cycle and bread making
• Natural Soap Making
• Homemade Delicacies (cheese, marmalades, handmade pasta)
• Day Cruise to Hydra
• Day tour to the Ancient theatre of Epidaurus
• Day tour to Mycenae or Nafplio town
• Horse carriage tour
• Traditional Kaiki boat tour
• Spetses Day Boat Tour
• 10 Deluxe Garden View Rooms: Historic Building, Garden View, 23m2, One Bedroom
• 4 Deluxe Side Sea View Rooms: Historic Building, Partial sea view, 25m2, One Bedroom
• 14 Superior Garden View: New Building, Garden View, 36m2, One Bedroom & Extended Sitting Area
• 12 Deluxe Sea View rooms: Historic & New Building, Sea view, 30m2, One bedroom
• 4 Tower rooms: Historic Building, Sea view, 32m2, One Bedroom
• 5 Family suites: Historic & New Building, Sea View, 58m2, Two bedrooms & Sitting area
• 4 Superior Suite: Historic Building, Sea View &/or Partial Sea view, 60m2, One bedroom & separate living area
• 1 Cupola Suite (The secret loft of the hotel): Historic Building, Partial Sea View, 75m2 interior (2 levels) & 90m2 exterior – verandah, One bedroom & Loft area
• 1 Pool Suite: New Building, Garden & Partial Sea View, 68m2 interior & 40m2 garden & private pool, One bedroom, separate living area & private pool
• 1 VIP Suite: Historic Building, Front Sea View, 90m2, Two bedrooms, spacious living area in between
• 1 Royal Suite: Historic Building, Front Sea View & Panorama Terrace, 163 m2 interior & 85m2 exterior, Three bedrooms, separate dining – living area, private lift & panoramic verandah
Restaurants & Bars
• On the verandah
Serving creative Greek cuisine on a spacious terrace on the front side of the historic building
• Freud oriental
Japanese oriental cuisine served on the Poseidonion terrace
• Library Brasserie
All day dining & lounge cafe located on the historic building overlooking the sea and port
• Palms on the verandah bar
Cocktail bar located on a beautiful verandah of the historic building surrounded by the palm trees.
Room Service & Mini Bar Service
Excursion Lunch Basket
Late Arrival Cold Supper Dishes
Early Comp ‘Pick me Up’ Breakfast for early departures
• Wellness & Spa Center by ‘Asian Spa': Massage rooms, Sauna, Hammam, Private Swimming pool
• Sun Bathing deck & terrace
• Fresh water swimming pool
• Hair Salon by Ioannou Loizos
Corporate & Celebration Events
Meetings & Private Events inclusive of:
• Conference & Banqueting Room for max. 70 people
• Up to date audio visual equipment
• Business Centre, Internet Corner
• Secreterial & PC Rental Service
• Wedding Planning Service
Extra Notable Features
Recreation & Leisure
• Baby Sitting (upon request)
• Hiking Excursions
• Mountain Biking
• PADI Diving & Water Sports Centre
Concierge / Guest Relations Desk
Transfer to/from the port (upon request)
Laundry and Dry Cleaning Service
Yacht & Helicopter arrangements
Airport Pick- up (upon request)
Boat Rental Service
Daily Courtesy Shuttle Bus to Beach
Horse Carriage – Private Service
Hotel & Restaurants Awards
2013 – 2012
• Luxury Boutique Hotel, Europe 2013 in the World Luxury Hotel Awards.
• Best International Hotel Marketing award, Best Hotel Marketing Europe, and Best Hotel Marketing Greece in the 2013 International Hotel Awards.
• Best Boutique Hotel in Europe,and Best Boutique Hotel Culinary Excellence in the 2013 Boutique Hotel Awards
• Best small hotel Greece & Best hotel in 2012, Boutique Hot.
• Best Hotel Architecture, Greece, and Best Hotel Architecture, Europe in 2012 from the International Hotel Awards
Number of employees