Relais San Lorenzo Italy
Relais San Lorenzo
Piazza Mascheroni 9A, Bergamo
Date of Creation
Relais San Lorenzo opened in July 2013.
Hotel General Manager
Gianluigi Galeota – Front Office Manager.
5 star ; Small Luxury Hotels of the World.
Relais San Lorenzo
History & Story
Opened in 2013 and located in the magnificent setting of the old walled city of Bergamo Alta, Relais San Lorenzo is a unique, incredible place, where history, luxury, nature, wellness and excellent cuisine are blended together. The cloister, in the shadow of the medieval Church of Carmine, the terrace overlooking the Orobian valleys and the splendid medieval Mascheroni Square, will fascinate you. The ancient archaeological ruins (Roman and Middle Age), beside which you can enjoy local products and famous traditional Italian dishes reinvented by chef Antonio Cuomo will leave you simply breathless: nowhere else, you can dine in a similar setting. The modern SPA will relax and invigorate you; the terrace overlooking the valleys at the foot the Orobie Alps will reconcile you with nature. And if you need to organize a business meeting, a dedicated room, equipped for all kind of needs, is available.
Relais San Lorenzo was designed by renowed architect Adolfo Natalini. Each year in January the hotel closes for about 20 days for winter holidays and yearly maintenance.
Main Strengths, Special Touch
Main strenght of Relais San Lorenzo are : its unrivaled location ; its design-awards winning project (by renowed architect Adolfo Natalini) which is a perfect blend of the contemporary with the historic ; its gourmet restaurant Hostaria, set within a real archeological site from the Roman and Middle Age ; its relaxing and modern SPA ; its panoramic terrace. Special touch : personalized service, focus on quality and constant improvement.
Relais San Lorenzo is located in the historical center of Bergamo Alta (the upper and old part of Bergamo), at only 25 minutes by taxi from Orio al Serio Bergamo Airport, 1h by car from Fiera Milano and Milano Linate, 1.30 h by car from Milano Malpensa.
Key sites/activities in the area
Piazza Vecchia, Piazza Duomo, the Venetian Walls, La Rocca, San Vigilio Hill, Piazza della Cittadella, Torre Civica, Museo Civico di Scienze Naturali, Orto Botanico, Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore, Cappella Colleoni, Duomo, Accademia Carrara, Galleria di Arte Moderna e Contemporanea (GAMEC), Teatro Donizetti, Gaetano Donizetti Birthplace, hiking, mountain biking, golf, skiing (1 h by car).
Every year in September a unique event called « I Maestri del Paesaggio – Masters of Landscape » takes place in Bergamo for 2/3 weeks. The most important international architects and urban designers meet in Bergamo during the festival and beautifully decorate the main squares (including Piazza Mascheroni, in front of Relais San Lorenzo ) and streets with a wide variety of plants, trees and flowers. Other important events in Bergamo area are : « Historic Grand Prix », « Giro d’Italia », « Monza Grand Prix » (Monza).
Relais San Lorenzo features connecting/family rooms perfect for families and children and provides children with dedicated slippers, bathrobe and a special teddy bear gift. Hostaria gourmet restaurant is equipped with baby high chairs; the staff provides guests with full attention to every specific need. Children menu is also available.
• 2 Junior Suites (32-34 sq. meters, inner courtyard view with balcony, complimentary minibar and coffee station ),
• 4 Suites (42-48 sq. meters, valley view or Piazza Mascheroni view, with or without outside space, complimentary minibar and coffee station, dry snacks),
• 1 Relais San Lorenzo Suite (55 sq. meters, inner courtyard view with big private terrace, complimentary minibar and coffee station, champagne bottle, fruit tray, patisserie by the chef – every day.
• 12 Superior Rooms (21-26 sq.meters, inner courtyard or Piazza Mascheroni view, with or without outside space, complimentary coffee station)
• 4 Deluxe Rooms (25-27 sq.meters, valley view with or without outside space, complimentary coffee station),
• 5 Premiere Rooms (30-32 sq. meters, inner courtyard or Piazza Mascheroni square view, with or without outside space, complimentary coffee station).
Number of rooms, (keys) in all: 30
Restaurants & Bars
• “Hostaria” gourmet restaurant (#30 seats), built within an archeological site from the Roman and Middle Age: gourmet à la carte cuisine by chef Antonio Cuomo, focused on Italian and local tradition reinvented with innovative combinations, techniques and with great attention on food design.
• Bars, lounges:
1 bar with lounge embedded in an archeological site from the Roman and Middle Age.
• Panoramic Terrace for breakfast, lunch, bar service during summer.
• 1 SPA free of charge (Sauna, Steam Bath, Relax area with wall of rock salt, emotional shower); spa treatments for payment.
• Gym facilities are available for guests with extra charge at San Marco Wellness IClub, a partner company in the lower part of Bergamo, not far from Relais San Lorenzo.
Corporate & Celebration Events
• 1 meeting room (35 people maximum capacity theatre style);
• multifunctional space within the lounge area of our restaurant with the possibility to organize larger meetings (up to 80 people), workshops, art exhibitions, etc.
Extra Notable Features
Tailor made city tours, close to Bergamo golf clubs, external gym upon request (external supplier), electric cars charging facilities available (universal or Tesla), Tesla Destination Charging Partner.
Hotel and restaurant Awards
• Relais San Lorenzo included in “Alberghi e Ristoranti d’Italia” guide by Touring Club Italiano 2017 (awards “Camere d’Autore”)
• “Luxury Hotel of the Year” 2017 award by Luxury Travel Guide
• Hostaria gourmet restaurant included within “Alberghi e Ristoranti d’Italia” by Touring Club Italiano guide 2017 (award “Buona Cucina”)
• Hostaria gourmet restaurant included within “Identità Golose” 2017 “Ristoranti d’Italia 2017 by l’Espresso.
• Relais San Lorenzo and Hostaria gourmet restaurant included within “Michelin Guide” 2017 with three red forks.
• Relais San Lorenzo, included within the publication “100 hotel italiani – architetture.design” – Riccardo Dell’Anna Editore
• “Luxury Hotel & Spa of the Year” 2016 award by Luxury Travel Guide
• Included in the “The Luxury Collection” 2016 by National Geographic Traveller
• Relais San Lorenzo included in “Alberghi e Ristoranti d’Italia 2016” guide by Touring Club Italiano (awards “Camere d’Autore”)
• Hostaria gourmet restaurant included within “Identità Golose”, “Ristoranti d’Italia by l’Espresso, “Alberghi e Ristoranti d’Italia” by Touring Club Italiano guides 2016 (award “Buona Cucina”)
• Guest Review Award 2016 Hotels.com 4.9/5.0
• Guest Review Award 2016 Hotelscombined.com 9.7/10
• Guest Rewview Award Booking.com: 9.6/10
• Relais San Lorenzo awarded with “Premio Internazionale di Architettura e Design 2015” by Gambero Rosso, Artribune, Archilovers, Università di Roma III, ADI.
• Hostaria gourmet restaurant included within “Identità Golose”, “Ristoranti d’Italia by l’Espresso, “Alberghi e Ristoranti d’Italia” by Touring Club Italiano guides 2015 (award “Buona Cucina”)
• Relais San Lorenzo included in “Alberghi e Ristoranti d’Italia” guide by Touring Club Italiano 2015 (awards “Camere d’Autore”, “Stanze Italiane”)
• Included in the “The Luxury Collection” 2015 by National Geographic Traveller
• Tripadvisor Certificate of Excellence 2015 (for both Relais San Lorenzo and Hostaria gourmet restaurant); Guest Review Award Booking.com 2015 – 9,6/10;
Number of employees