SAVOIA EXCELSIOR PALACE TRIESTE, ITALY
Savoia Excelsior Palace Trieste – Starhotels Collezione
Riva del Mandracchio, 4 – 34124 Trieste,
Date of Creation
Built in 1911 as the first Luxury Hotel of the Austrian-Hungarian Empire in Trieste.
Hotel General Manager
Riccardo Zanellotti, just after graduation in Switzerland, immediately joined International acclaimed Hotel Chains such as Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts, Great Eagle Hotels, and Hilton. Building an experience in all fields of the hospitality industry, in different parts of the World, he then decided to return to Italy and joined Starhotels S.p.A. After 5 years working in the Head Office it was time to get back to where he felt his heart was beating more: close to the Hotel Guests, and in managing an Hotel Team.
One of the first luxurious grand hotels in Europe, with an enviable position on Trieste’s historic waterfront , that enjoys the most spacious and comfortable rooms and suites in the city.
Our Team focuses on providing its Guest an exclusive service and consistently investing in the product and development of its infrastructure. Furthermore, the Team is well associated with all local excellences and attractions to provide and arrange all sort of activities and experiences to our Guests.
Savoia Excelsior Palace Trieste
History & Story
Very fond of Trieste, the Emperor Franz Josef, desired to have a luxurious Grand Hotel in the sea side city of the Empire. Grand Hotel Excelsior Palace was born on the 22nd of June 1911, designed by the Austrian architect Ladislaus Fiedler. The monumental building is in perfect early 20th century Mitteleuropean style which is the charm of most of the architecture in Trieste. Designed to be the ideal “Grand Hotel”, it instantly became a blueprint for other hotels in the world. Throughout its history, its guests have included aristocrats, artists and diplomats, as well as the tourist elite visiting Trieste by land or sea, on their grand tour to or from northern Europe. The Emperor’s private apartment and bathroom, masterpieces of interior design, are still preserved intact.
Date of Renewal
After a refurbishment program lasting 3 years, this imposing Imperial Grand Palace was brought in 2010 to its antique splendors.
Main Strengths, Special Touch
The leading luxury hotel in Trieste with a rich cultural heritage of the past. In its century life the Savoia Excelsior Palace hosted dignitaries and celebrities form all over the world, and held National and International important events.
Facing the sea, the hotel is literally part of the city seafront. Located in the most prestigious part of town, a few steps from Piazza Unità d’Italia, considered Europe’s largest square on a sea waterfront (it was also called Piazza Grande, the Big Square). A location that allows our Guests to discover the city’s most interesting places by foot. Not forgetting that within a radius of 30 km you can visit and say you have been in 3 Countries in one day! Croatia, Slovenia, and Italy.
Key sites/activities in the area
• Piazza Unità d’Italia: The largest square facing the sea in Europe.
• Canal Grande
• San Giusto Castle: It stands on a hill of the same name that overlooks the city
• Vittoria Lighthouse
• Miramare Marine Nature Reserve
• The Roman Theatre: The Roman Theatre behind Piazza Unità d’Italia at the foot of the San Giusto hill is one of the most striking remains of ancient Roman Tergeste.
• Miramare castle: Miramare Castle is the first glance that you have coming in Trieste driving along the panoramic coastal road.
• San Giovanni Park and Rose Garden
• Duino Castle: The first castle to be seen is the impressive Duino Castle, clinging to a rocky karst spur on the sea cliffs.
• The Castle of Muggia
• Sport activities such as Sailing in the Gulf, Cycling, Golf, and other sports can be organized by our Concierge.
• Museums: Revoltella Museum – James Joyce Museum – Sea Museum – and many others
• Eataly Shop: 5 minutes walk from the Hotel to enter a world of culinary delights
• Caffès: renowned the Capital of the World Espresso caffè, the city of Trieste host many famous caffè bars such as Caffè Degli lSpecchi, Caffè Tommaseo, Caffè San Marco. Furthermore is the home town of the Illy family and only factory in the world. Our Concierge can arrange group visit to the factory.
• Enogastronomy: our Concierge can organize guided tours to visit excellences of the city and Kars area, where you can taste and buy wine and products directly from the producers.
- Franz Joseph Emperor of Austria commissioned to build the Savoy Excelsior Palace in order to have a luxurious hotel in Trieste, the city he like to refer to as the “little Vienna” on the sea.
- The Palace became know as the “Ocean Liner Hotel” owing to its privileged position, as across the road, is located the Ocean Liners and Cruise Ship Terminal.
- “My soul is in Trieste”, stated James Joyce, and this feeling was certainly revived any time he was sipping a coffee for which Trieste is famous worldwide at the Grand Hotel, watching the busy town, full of life, of the voices of the longshoremen, of the colorful glimpses of sailors, bellmen, porters, and passengers with their luggage and steamer trunks.
- The first cruise ship in history, the luxury pleasure steamer Thalia, took the distinguished guests to the inaugural ceremony of the Excelsior Palace Grand Hotel on the 22nd June 1911. And our acclaimed Barman has invented our legacy cocktail “Thalia” to honor this story.
• With the “Very Important Kids” service, our youngest guests receive their own welcome kit featuring gadgets, coloring books, puzzles, a menu of Nintendo Wii Fit games, and even bath toys and healthy in-room snacks.
• Special children menu
• WI-FI Games, DVD’s player and additional service available in each room on request
The hotel’s 144 rooms and suites have recently been redesigned and restyled with enhanced comfort and facilities. They offer a welcoming haven of luxury and tranquillity, where guests can relax to the soothing sound of the sea.
- Number of suites: 3 Presidential Suite, 15 Suites with sea view, 14 Suite, 8 Junior Suite with sea view
- Number of Luxury rooms: 29 Deluxe sea view, 25 Superior sea view, 17 Superior room, 33 Classic room
- Number of total rooms, (keys) in all: 144
- Presidential Suite
The enchanting Presidential Suites are designed to offer an unforgettable stay in the heart of Trieste. In their generous 807 sqf/75 sqm interiors, you can enjoy both the elegant, spacious lounge, luxuriously decorated with sophisticated furnishings and exquisite fabrics, and the sublime sea views from the fully furnished terrace. The large bedroom has a soft king-size goose-feather bed, while the Calacatta marble bathroom includes a bathtub, hydro massage shower, and prestigious toiletries by Acqua di Parma.
From 527 sqf/49 sqm of space, the suites are veritable apartments overlooking the sea that can transform a weekend or holiday in Trieste into a unique experience. Every detail is carefully conceived to offer the most luxurious comfort in a supremely elegant setting, with opulent fabrics, prestigious furnishings, a separate living room, and a large Calacatta marble bathroom with a wide selection of sophisticated toiletries by Acqua di Parma.
- Junior Suites
The 8 Junior Suites offer a space starting from 452 sqf/42 sqm, comprising an ample lounge area with parlor, a furnished terrace with a beautiful view of the sea and a night area with soft goose-feather bed, a luxurious and elegant marble bathroom.
- Deluxe Rooms
Our Deluxe rooms from 344 sqf/32 sqm offer a charming blend of the classic and contemporary, with elegant colours and rich, tactile fabrics. You’ll find a queen size bed and marble bathroom, Wi-Fi and a comfortable living area, ideal if you want to work. And when you want to relax, our rooms feature a private terrace to enjoy beautiful views across the bay.
- Superior Rooms
Our Superior rooms from 269 sqf/25 sqm offer a spacious retreat for your vacation in Trieste. You’ll find queen size beds and marble bathrooms, rich fabrics and light, calming tones.
- Classic Rooms
Our Classic rooms from 215 sqf/20 sqm are carefully designed to provide an elegant backdrop for your weekend or long-stay in Trieste, with calm pastel tones, soft fabrics and white marble bathrooms.
Restaurants & Bars
• Savoy by Eataly Restaurant
In the sophisticated Mitteleuropean ambience of the Savoy by Eataly restaurant, the elegant furnishings and impeccable service reflect the Savoy Excelsior Palace’s true splendor. Here, Chef Andrea Stoppari, a Triestino through and through, presents a gourmet gastronomic experience with creative cuisine and sublime traditional local dishes accompanied by the finest wines and set off by stunning seafront views.
The chef’s collaboration with Eataly – the champion of Italian gourmet excellence around the world – involves a process of selecting the finest ingredients and artisanal producers, favoring short supply chains.
• Le Rive Bar
The Rive, with its original scalloped ceiling, its grand windows overlooking the sweeping Gulf, and its exquisite furnishings rejoicing in the hotel’s imperial splendor, is one of the most renowned bars in Trieste.
In an elegant and sophisticated yet relaxed and cosmopolitan atmosphere, it offers an internationally inspired cocktail menu ranging from the classic Martini to the contemporary Cosmopolitan, or the locally acclaimed Thalia Spritz, created by our Barman to honor the Luxury Pleasure Liner “Thalia”.
It is a place to savour for all its pleasures, especially for aperitifs, with its delicious selection of appetizers by Eataly that reflect the style and quality of cuisine at the Savoy restaurant.
• Room service (available 24 hours)
- Fitness Room
- Relax Area
- Massage & Treatments available on request
- Gym Open every day from 6 am to 10pm. Technogym Equipment, Smart TV, surround sound, locker room and showers
- Starpool Sauna System
Corporate & Celebration Events
From private board meetings to private celebrations, the perfect setting for your event. Whether you are planning a conference or business event, presenting a product or car launch, your dedicated event planner will be on hand to help you find the perfect venue and guide you through every aspect of your event.
Modern meeting rooms equipped with the latest technology to exceptional catering services and a dedicated team, we’ve everything you need to deliver a memorable event.
The Congress Area has a totally dedicated wing of the building in order to guarantee a reserved and discreet area separated from the rest of the hotel activities.
9 Meeting rooms & events spaces:
- Natural day light
- Sea View
- Large Window
- Elegantly decorated with frescoed ceilings, refined boiserie, and impressive antique chandeliers
- State of the art technology
- WI-FI Fully covered
- Rossetti Multi-purpose Theatre
- Verdi Theatre: The Giuseppe Verdi Opera Theatre is the principal opera and symphony theatre in Trieste
- Eataly: Italian food store with cooking & tasting class.
- Trieste Golf Club
- The Roman Theatre
- Sailing activities and courses
Hotel and restaurant Awards
- Top 20 hotel in Italy by Tripadvisor – 9th place
- Conde Nast traveler best hotel in the region
- Best hotel in the region by Telegraph Travel – The Times – The NY Times – Michelin Guide
- Star Diamond Award – The American Academy of Hospitality Sciences
- Top Hotels and Venue – 1st Price – Top European Influencer in the Meeting Industry – Kongress Magazine.
Number of employees