Smetana hotel Czech Republic
Smetana hotel a.s.
Karoliny Světlé 34, 110 00 Staré Město, Prague
Date of Creation
2002 as hotel
Hotel General Manager
Pavel Winter – Director of Operations
Centrally located historical 5-star palace boutique hotel, Luxury brand: Preferred Hotels & Resorts
– Room renovations and upgrade underway – Will be completed in Spring 2019
History & Story
Smetana Hotel is one Prague’s well-kept treasures, residing quietly for centuries as an unassuming Baroque Palace steeped in history off Anenske Namesti. With a prime position overlooking the Vltava River, our historic Smetana Hotel, is located nearby the iconic Charles Bridge and boasts magnificent views over the famous Prague Castle. Once a royal palace of the Pachta family in the 17th century, playing host to the likes of Mozart, Beethoven, and Wagner, the Smetana Hotel retains a majestic glamour, with ornate décor, crystal chandeliers, and ceiling frescoes. Right here, Mozart himself composed his Six German Dances for the Count Pachta during one of their famous family matinees. There is much about this Baroque property that tells the story of Prague and we invite you to be a part of it.
Project contributors: Jan Josef Wirch or German Josef Jager.
1870 new historical building added
2004 – finished main reconstruction – Mr. Marek Tichy, the chief project architect (award Construction of the Year)
2018 October-2019, January complete room and suite revitalization
Main Strengths, Special Touch
Historical palace with modern touches and facilities
Centrally located, steps away from the famous Charles Bridge, with views of Prague Castle, and Vltava River
Light spacious rooms
Open terrace in the courtyard as well as a cigar lounge
Located just across the Charles Bridge on the river Vltava, with the Old Town Square a lazy 10 minute stroll away, and Prague Castle less than 20 minutes, the palace’s location is unparalleled.
Key sites/activities in the area
Charles bridge, Old Town Square, Prague Castle, the National Theatre, Rudolfinum classical concert hall, Jewish quarter with the famous Spanish Synagogue, Jewish museum and monuments, Parizska street (luxury shops like Chanel, Ferragamo, Dior, Celine, LV, Prada etc.), Petrin hill and panorama of the famous Prague’s terracotta rooftops.
– The name ‘Smetana’ is the name of an internationally renowned Czech composer Bedřich Smetana, the author of the symphonic cycle ‘My Homeland’, which portrays the history and landscape of the composer’s native land.
– Our hotel was host to several international figurers and personalities, such as Casanova and Mozart.
– Mozart was symbolically imprisoned in what is today Deluxe Suite 212 for a couple of hours by the Count, because he had promised on several occasions to compose a few dance pieces for him. He left only with a few sheets of parchment and ink, Mozart finally completed his 6 German Dances, K. 509.
– Smetana Hotel is a true discovery for all the art lovers featuring international art pieces in both rooms and public areas.
Special welcome amenities for kids.
Children up to 12 years old may share their parents’ room at no extra charge, for children older than 12 y.o. an extra bed must be arranged. Extra bed at 50 EUR per bed per night including breakfast
Baby cot – on comp basis.
BREAKFAST: Children under 6 y.o. – on complimentary basis / 6-12 y.o. – 50% off
A child in relation to this policy is aged 12 years or under, a guest aged 13 years or above will be classed as an adult.
DELUXE ROOM introduces classic design in soothing colors, complemented by a full range of modern services and amenities. The rooms, facing the inner courtyard vary from 36 to 43 square meters (388 – 463 square feet) and some have a possibility of a connecting room.
DELUXE ROOM RIVER VIEW facing Prague’s historical landmarks: Prague Castle and the famous Charles Bridge introduces classic design in soothing colors, complemented by a full range of modern services and amenities: Room sizes vary from 36 to 43 square meters (388 – 463 square feet) and
DELUXE SUITE: boasts a separate sitting room and a bedroom decorated in soft, neutral décor. The spacious living area with a cozy sofa and a convenient working desk allow you to relax or continue business activities in the comfort of the room. The suite sizes vary from 70 to 100 square meters (754 – 1076 square feet), some have a possibility of a connecting room.
RIVER VIEW SUITE: This elegant one-bedroom River View Suite offers close-up views to Prague’s major landmarks; including the famous Charles’ Bridge, Prague Castle and Petrin Hill. The suite sizes vary from 70 to 100 square meters (754 – 1076 square feet).
FAMILY SUITE: Ideal for family and friend getaways, our two-bedroom Family Suites invite you to experience residential comfort in style. Two interconnected bedrooms with two separate bathrooms allow more comfort for families and add to a residential feel. Our Family Suites vary from 88 to over 100 square meters (947 – 1076 square feet) to
MOZART SUITE: Home of one of the world-famous composers while in residence, this unique Mozart Suite is a true jewel of the Smetana Hotel. This luxurious residence offers majestic view out onto both courtyards, a spacious living area equipped with original furniture from the era and a charming bedroom. In this suite, a former residence of the noble Pachta family, Mozart himself composed his Six German Dances for the Count Pachta during one of their famous family matinees. The suite area is 81 square meters (882 square feet).
MUCHA SUITE Named after the world-acclaimed Czech Art Nouveau artist Alphonse Mucha and having accommodated countless royal personages over the past few centuries, our Mucha Suite invites you to immerse in the comfort of a royal residence, with its imperial design. The spacious living room is furnished with an elegant sitting and dining area featuring Alfons Mucha’s original paintings. Separate bedroom with a king-size bed is finely furnished in soft pastel colors and is completely separated for greater privacy. The suite area is 88.5 square meters (953 square feet).
CASANOVA SUITE According to Casanova’s memoirs, he visited Smetana Hotel (formerly Pachtuv Palace) many times for events and parties while in Prague. Named after this famous Italian adventurer and author and facing a quiet courtyard, our sleek and spacious Casanova Suite invites you to immerse in the palatial atmosphere of the 18th century. The suite is 84 square meters (904 square feet)
LUTETIA SUITE Reminiscing of Art Nouveau era, with original furniture of Lutetia Hotel in Paris, authentic décor of this well-appointed suite will take you to Paris in the 30s. Ideal for romantic getaways of families travelling in grand style. This two-bedroom suite offers a spacious living room with a magnificent town, river, castle view – perfect setting to enjoy a sunny morning in Prague or the most beautiful sunsets over the Vltava River. The suite is 102 square meters (1098 square feet)
Restaurants & Bars
• Bistro Café La Crème – enjoy fresh espresso or coffee, selection of freshly baked baguettes, panini, home-made cakes, typical of the Region.
• Chapel Cigar Club – unique luxury beverage and cigars, wine selection, private atmosphere
• Restaurant Smetana – authentic and traditional Czech recipes, with Mediterranean offerings. Chef of restaurant Smetana is Jiří Hulák
• Pizzeria – newly opened – Smetana Pizzeria Tradizionale.
– Fitness facilities to open in March 2019
– In-room Massages (Swedish, Thai )
Corporate & Celebration Events
• meeting room Foyer (capacity up to 30 people)
• meeting room 105 (capacity up to 20 people)
• meeting private room 209 with river and castle view ( up to 10 people)
• pens/ paper/ flipchart markers/ overhead projector/ screen, tables, chairs
Extra Notable Features
– Baroque Pachta Palace from 17th Century as a part of hotel, hosted a couple of notable visitors.
– Views over the most famous Prague’s landmarks : Prague Castle, Charles Bridge, Petrin Hill
– Two inner courtyards with open terraces, an excellent setting for a morning coffee and/or a glass of wine in the evening
Hotel and restaurant Awards
• Certificate of Excellence on Trip Advisor