Su Gologone Experience Hotel
Su Gologone Experience Hotel
Su Gologone Experience Hotel
Loc. Su Gologone 08025 Oliena Nuoro, Sardinia,
Date of Creation
Hotel General Manager
Giovanna Palimodde, owner and general manager.
4 star boutique
Colourful and full of textiles, Su Gologone is an unusual place that is really curated in an over the top way.Since the beginning, the hotel has been promoted respecting the traditions of the Barbagia region, the heart of Sardinia, a land of strong and resilient female figures who fight to preserve the spirit of ancient traditions.
Su Gologone Experience Hotel
History & Story
The story of the hotel began with a revolutionary idea. It seems incredible now, but when, in the 1960s, PeppedduPalimodde began serving local cuisine close to the Su Gologone spring, he was responsible for bringing the Supramonte region out of historical isolation. ‘When we were engaged,’ recalls his wife, Pasqua, ‘Peppeddu wanted to do something to celebrate the land he loved. He thought opening a restaurant was the perfect way to do this. When we returned from our honeymoon, he’d convinced me it was a good idea. In 1967, Oliena’s first ever restaurant, Su Gologone, opened its doors. No one could have predicted that the simple food locals cooked every day would have such an impact. The restaurant was such a success that the Palimodde family opened a small hotel to accommodate the stream of visitors arriving from abroad to taste their cuisine. Slowly, tourists were realising there was a different Sardinia to be discovered beyond the island’s beautiful beaches.
Today, travellers are welcomed by Pasquaand her daughter Giovanna. Giovanna has transformed the hotel into a world-renowned destination, creating interiors which feature the works of major Sardinian artists and furnishings made in Su Gologone’s own Botteghed’Arte. She also designed alfresco settings such as the Terrazzo del Sogni, Terrazzo deiDesideri and MagicoTablao bar, and plenty of hidden corners you’ll discover during your stay.
Every year Giovanna Palimodde, owner and artist, creates and adds new features to the property.
Date added extensions
Main Strengths, Special Touch
Su Gologone, Sardinia’s top country lodge, is surrounded by lush greenery and basks in a stunning countryside setting. But it’s more than a hotel: dedicated to bringing the best of Sardinia to guests, it’s a colour-drenched oasis of authenticity, art and beauty. Unique experiences and a flawless service, enriched by exquisite culinary delights embodying excellence. Time to make new discoveries and to relax, moments of pleasure, spirituality and fun: your memories will be even more intense, unique and unforgettable. Tradition, cuisine and unique design are the hotel’s X-factors.Hammocks and cushy intimate nooks, candles and lanterns add to the romantic, laid-back atmosphere. Evenings at the hotel are pure magic: watch the sun set over the mountains from the herb garden, just as hundreds of tiny LED lights flicker like fireflies.
Set amid the magical landscape of Sardinia, surrounded by a 10-hectare private park in the heart of the Barbagia, a dozen or so milesfrom Olbia – less than an hour. The spectacular east coast beaches of CalaGonone are a mere 30 minutes away. A five-minute walk will take you to the bucolic spring that gave Su Gologone its name. The local climate is typically Mediterranean, with temperate winters and warm summers.
Key sites/activities in the area
Su Gologone is set between heaven and earth, sea and mountain. From the hotel, you may easily reach the sea, ancient hamlets, archaeological sites, beautiful trekking routes, and cultural landmarks.
– The country seat of Barbagia, Nuoro was called the “Athens of Sardinia” because of the many intellectuals who livened it up, wanting to promote the redemption of the island after centuries of colonial subordination.
– Taking a stroll in the quaint historic centre of Olienaamid cobblestone streets and ancient houses, you will easily meet elderly ladies who still wear the suhustumene, the traditional garb.
– Dorgali is fervent with tourism and craftsmanship: do pay a visit to the leather ateliers and the goldsmiths workshops, famous for manufacturing filigree.
– Orosei is a charming village, characterised by pure white sand beaches
– Other main towns of interest in the area are: Orgosolo, Mamoiada, Fonni, Orune, Gartellì
Tiscali | Sa Serra ‘e sosCarros | Villaggio di Serra Orrios | Nuraghe Mannu | Janna ’e Pruna | Area di Romanzesu | Su Tempiesu
– Almost all the employees are women, and all come from the nearest village of Oliena.
– Table football/ mini-golf: open day and night
– Ping pong/games park: open daily
– Babysitter on request
– Kid’s playground
Total number of rooms: 70
Wifi is free in all rooms and common areas. Equipped with all the main facilities (air conditioning, minibar, telephone, safe, led tv, hairdryer, slippers, Nespresso machine, selection of teas and kettle) with the possibility of extra services such as flowers, fresh fruit, culinary and SPA box sets.The rooms will be rearranged in the evening, too
Classic Rooms of Tradition
Decorated with a typical Sardinian style, conceived in the Su Gologone Art Workshops, they consist of a large bedroom and a spacious bathroom with shower. Some rooms have a balcony.Size from 18sqm – max 2 persons
Deluxe Rooms of Tradition
Embellished with Sardinian décor, conceived in the Su Gologone Art Workshops, with bright colours standing out against the typical white plaster. Some have either an iron or a wooden four-poster bed, as was commonplace in our villages. They consist of a room with a bed, a sofa bed and a large bathroom with shower. Most of them have a balcony or a terrace. Size from 20 to 25 sqm
Twodeluxe bedrooms with a separate entrance from the patio, with built-in beds, white-resin floors and juniper-wood beams that run along the ceiling. Size from 25 sqm
Junior Art Suites
Dedicated to great 20th-century Sardinian artists such as Federico Melis, Giuseppe Biasi and Edina Altara. The rooms feature traditional (often period) furnishings, authentic designer pieces, art books and precious embroidery created by the skilled hands of the women of Oliena.Size from 25 to 30 sqm – 2 persons
Featuring an LCD TV, these air-conditioned suites feature a large terrace with views of the garden, the mountains or the valley. The accommodation includes 1 spacious room or 2 separate rooms and a whirlpool bath or a hydromassage shower and sauna feature. Some suites offer a fireplace in the living area.Size from 40 to 55sqm
The Country Suite offers different views, bright balconies with mountain views or pleasant and quiet access to the garden.Two separate spaces make up this suite: the master bedroom, featuring a masonry bed, and the living room, entailing a fireplace (in one suite only) and a drawing room. The Country Suites enjoy a view on the Herb Garden and have sole use of an outside lounge, with a private tub and hammock. Juniper beams, running along the entire ceiling, and white resin flooring set the interior apart. The identity of regional culture is narrated by the objects and materials which accompanied it in its life and daily activities.Size from 40 to 45 sqm
Executive Suite Dedicated to Ciusa
This suite is divided into 2 separate areas, bedroom and the living area. Embellished with unique Sardinian décor, conceived in the Su Gologone Art Workshops here the geometric patterns typical of the artist Ciusa. Lounge area and wide terrace with a bathtub Philippe Starck for 2 persons. TV, kettle, Nespresso coffee maker, as well as a vast selection of teas and infusions, minibar and towels, luxury courtesy set, safe, burner for essences and candles, CD player, welcome fruit basket, air conditioning. Size 45 sqm
The Wild Suite combines the traditional style found in our hotel rooms with the possibility of spending the night outdoor, on the terrace. The ample outside spaces of this Suite allow our guests to live intense emotions, in close contact with nature: you may opt for a scented, Sardinian herb bath, and will sleep under the stars… Size 60sqm
Art Suite Studio
For years it has been the creative refuge of Giovanna Palimodde, today it is the latest novelty in the hotel Su Gologone experience. The energy that lurks in the atelier and in the garden has pushed Giovanna to share her space with those guests-artists who like to create, paint, write, or compose poems in a corner of tranquillity and absolute silence. A tranquil haven where canvases, brushes, pencils and paper are at your disposal in a private studio. Separated by a sliding door, the bedroom has a built-in a large double bed; bathroom with shower and stone washbasin for cleaning brushes.The outdoor area features a bath for two and a stone terrace – an alfresco living room – shaded by colourful sunscreens. The veranda is furnished with table, chairs and a hammock. Guests can enjoy the suite’s private rose garden and views overlooking the surrounding countryside.On request: butler service 24h, private candlelight dinner in roseto, baby sitter 24h, children’s play area.Size 48 sqm
Restaurants & Bars
The simple but superb cuisine of Sardinia is so well-prepared that the hotel’s main restaurant—all flickering candlelight overlooking the pool— is always booked out. Every morning, chefs prepare a dozen Sardinian breads, antipasti and fresh pasta; potato and cheese-stuffed culurgiones are out of this world. Produce is plucked from the hotel’s gardens and succulent local meats are slow-cooked on wood fires. Vegetarian and special menus are available.
– À la carte restaurant. Su Gologone’s restaurant is spread across a terrace with stunning views and rooms decorated with Sardinian art and crafts.
– Nido del pane. Su Gologone’sNido del Pane (‘Bread Nest’) lies at the heart of the hotel. A typical alfresco focacceria: watch the preparation of the bread and sampleour delicious focaccia baked in a wood oven and garnished with homegrown aromatic herbs and vegetables. April-September: twice a week, 8.30-9pm
– Corte de Su Re. A taste of the past in the old courtyard: a culinary journey exploring the traditional cuisine of Barbagia. You’ll be welcomed by candlelight, walking on a carpet of wild herbs that imparts an intense perfume. The atmosphere is magical.
– Sala Melis. Dedicated to the three most important Sardinian artists of the 20th century. Breakfast and evening buffet.
– Swimming Pool Gazebo Bar. Snacks and relax. Light lunch served from a plentiful buffet of vegetables and salads, cheese and a dish of the day. Dinner by candle light with the Sardinian landscape as your backdrop.
– Bar Francesco Ciusa. Choose the internal room or the patio for a drink. Francesco Ciusa’s art is the star attraction of a space epitomising culture and beauty.
– MagicoTablao. Guests and locals – everyone loves to meet here. Designed by Giovanna Palimodde, it’s an enchanting place to sip an aperitif and try some Sardinian artichoke and wild antipasti, against the breathtaking backdrop of the Supramonte. Or come after dinner for a digestif. Once a week (usually Friday or Saturday), we’ll treat you to canti a tenores, the polyphonic Sardinian folk singing recognised by Unesco as an important aspect of the world’s cultural heritage.
Pamper yourself by the pool with beauty treatments: a manicure, pedicure, or massage.
May-October: Tuesday-Sunday, 10am-7pm. April and November, on request.
– Pool: 25 metres long, the water in it comes exclusively from the Su Gologone spring, just 500 metres from the hotel. Alongside it, there are two hydro massage tubs (one located among the olive trees).
– Fitness centre: Technogym equipment
– Spa: a large space where you can restore body and soul, with two massage rooms, beauty and relax treatments.
– Yoga & Reiki: just before dawn or at dusk, when Su Gologone slips into the blue hour, take a yoga or a reiki class in the aromatic setting of the Herb Garden, or high on the Terrazzo deiDesideri, where land meets sky.
Corporate & Celebration Events
Su Gologone is a magical location for a special occasion. Celebrate your wedding with the Supramonte mountains in the backgroundor enjoy a romantic dinner on the Terrace of Dreams.
And to end the evening? Everyone dances the night away in the disco!
– Plenary Chamber: up to 200 theatre
– Lounge: up to 50 theatre
– Banqueting, Weeding and Events: up to 400
– Other spaces available: up to 400 cocktail
Extra Notable Features
– Cinema under the stars
– Musical evenings
– Lessons of astronomy
– Terrazzo dei Desideri
– Kitchen garden/Terrazzo dell’Orto
– Il Giardino di Tex
– Herb Garden
– Wine tasting sessions
– Cookery classes and workshops: Every day, two local cooks prepare 12 types of homemade pasta. Classes can be booked for a minimum of 5 participants
Experience the power of nature:
Cycling and guided excursions (trekking, horse riding, sailing – sea and river, Land Rover excursions, quad, canoe,free climbing, scuba diving, nature and archaeological walks.
We have a wide range of bikes, including electric and mountain bikes, and other equipment.
Botteghe D’arte Su Gologone Style:
– Creative Classes: Decoration, Sewing, Embroidery, Painting and drawing, Jewellery, Ceramics
Hotel and restaurant Awards
2015: Conde Nast Johanses Award
Number of employees