London, United Kingdom
Wilton Place, Knightsbridge,
London, SW1X 7RL – UK
Maybourne Hotel Group
Hotel General Manager
In line with government regulations, The Berkeley will remain open to accommodate guests travelling for specific purposes only. The gym and spa and all restaurants and bars will be closed during this time, with resident guests provided service by in-room dining.
History & Story
The Berkeley Hotel began life in the 18th century as a rendez-vous for the Mail Coach for the West of England, known as the Gloucester Coffee House. In Victorian times, it became the St James’ Hotel and eventually became the Berkeley in 1897. Ever since the Berkeley first opened its doors for business over 100 years ago on the corner of Berkeley Street in Piccadilly, it has been at the heart of London society. After the move to Wilton Place in 1972, it continued to play host to the brightest balls and the most glittering gatherings about town and it’s a tradition that continues to this day.
After three centuries as one of the premier addresses in London, you might think we would know all there is to know about luxury. But at the Berkeley, our experience has taught us something else: There are always new delights to discover and new ways to enchant our guests.
Located in the heart of Knightsbridge, the Berkeley is on the doorstep of the green speldour of Hyde Park, moments from the singular shopping of Knightsbridge and is a short walk from Sloane Square.
Key sites/activities in the area
The most exclusive shops including Harrods and Harvey Nichols. London’s most popular museums including the V&A, Natural History Museum and the Science Museum. Hyde Park is just around the corner.
The Berkeley was the first hotel in London to introduce air-conditioning back in the 1920’s.
• Children’s concierge
• Babysitting/child minding services
• Luxury picnics made to order
• Cots and highchairs
• Bottle warmers
• Berkeley colouring and puzzle book with pencils
• Children’s books and board games
Each of our 190 rooms, offers a refuge from the rush of the city from the moment you arrive. Each, individually designed, is a study in urbane comfort with simple, beautiful details effortlessly combined. Individually chosen furniture, luxurious fabrics, bathrooms of Italian marble and original artworks abound.
Our suites are sweeping, expansive spaces, created by the world’s most accomplished interior designers with room for dining and entertaining, pow-wows and parties. Full of personal touches, they’re versatile enough to be moulded to your individual requirements. To complete the scene, those with an outdoor terrace command panoramic views across London.
Restaurants & Bars
• With two prized Michelin stars, Marcus Wareing’s newly renovated Marcus showcases exquisite modern European cuisine, with a British influence characterised by the finest produce, exacting execution and creative flair.
• The Blue Bar’s award-winning barmen work their magic on a comprehensive list of seasonally inspired and classic cocktails. Inked in the little black books of those in the know, the Blue Bar is a favourite with both our neighbours and friends from afar. Inspired by the bespoke blue of this beautiful room, the cocktails are categorised by colour – green, yellow, red and blue – according to the mix. Delicious light plates on the menu are the perfect, easygoing accompaniment.
• The Berkeley Bar & Terrace : From a vintage champagne tucked away in a French cellar to the single malt secrets poured down through generations, every drink at The Berkeley Bar & Terrace has a tale to tell. Continuing our celebration of craftmanship is the bar itself – carved plasterwork, coral tones and curved edges set an elegant scene, with wooden accents that were hewn from a single tree. Then there’s the alfresco Terrace, the insider’s outpost.
• Collins Room : Succumb to the pleasures of the Collins Room, where menus are designed by executive chef Shaun Whatling, with an emphasis on fresh, daily specials and beautifully-crafted, classically British dishes using the finest ingredients sourced from forest, field, seashore and stream.
• Prêt-à-Portea : From delicately piped clutch bags to killer heels in short pastry, Prêt-à-Portea is The Berkeley’s daily homage to haute couture as each season’s signature items step from catwalk to tea stand. Our pastry chef ’s inspired collection of taste-as-good-as-they-look delicacies is wowing fashionistas the world over.
• Marcus : Michelin-starred Marcus Wareing’s eponymous restaurant Marcus is a must-visit destination for serious foodies. This is exquisite modern European cuisine with a British influence, characterised by the finest produce, exacting execution and creative flair, and served in a room that is every bit as considered as the food.
• Bamford Wellness Spa brings the calm of the countryside to the heart of the city. Whatever the weather, a slice of the countryside awaits at The Berkeley, away from the bustle of Knightsbridge. Enjoy the soothing tranquillity of the Bamford Wellness Spa, brought specially to The Berkeley for its natural and organic treatments. It’s a truly special place to relax and rejuvenate with packages to suit women of influence and men on a mission.
Corporate & Celebration Events
From business pow-wows to matches made in heaven, the Berkeley’s professional planning team, personal service and airy, light event rooms guarantee memorable occasions for two to 450 guests. The event spaces have a dedicated private entrance, all the latest kit and caboodle and were recently re-designed by leading interior designers.
Hotel & Restaurants Awards
• Tatler Restaurant Awards 2014 – Pierre Koffmann was awarded the Laurent-Perrier Lifetime Achievement Award
• Business Traveller 2014 – The Berkeley Gym was awarded number 2 in Top Ten Hotel Gyms in the world
2013 – 2012
• Tatler Spa Awards 2013 – The Berkeley was awarded Best Pool in the United Kingdom
• AA Hospitality Awards 2012 – Pierre Koffmann was named the Chef’s Chef of the Year at the AA Hospitality Awards 2012
• Conde Nast Traveler Gold List 2012 – The Berkeley, London
Number of employees