The Chedi Andermatt Switzerland
The Chedi Andermatt
Gotthardstrasse 4, 6490 Andermatt
GHM Hotels Ltd.
Orascom Development Holding AG & Private Investor.
Date of Creation
Opening in December 2013.
Hotel General Manager
Jean-Yves Blatt joined The Chedi Andermatt team as General Manager in March 2015, assuming charge of the acclaimed 123-room hotel. A native of Switzerland, and a graduate of the famed Lausanne Hotel School, Blatt’s career in hospitality is distinguished by its concentrated focus in Switzerland, and with properties clustered among the upper ranks of the world’s most esteemed hotels. This includes the Lausanne Palace Spa and Hotel Le Mirador (now Le Mirador Kempinski), and most recently, the Grand Park Hotel in Gstaad, where after joining the team in 2005, he was promoted to General Manager in 2009.
5* Superior – part of Swiss Deluxe Hotels, Leading Hotels of the World
The Chedi Andermatt already has and will set new standards in Swiss hospitality industry. The aim is to redefine a new standard of luxury in Andermatt and in the whole industry.
THE CHEDI ANDERMATT
History & Story
With the opening of The Chedi Andermatt is setting a new standard in design and hospitality in Switzerland. The hotel is situated in the Urserental in the heart of the Swiss Alps and can be reached via three alpine passes, coming from Milan and Zurich. Jean-Michel Gathy from Denniston Architects designed the resort, combining alpine chic with Asian features. The reference to nature and refined detail is apparent across the entire hotel, and especially visible in the hotel’s 123 rooms and suites. The Chedi Andermatt’s culinary options include Western and Asian cuisine in The Restaurant and The Japanese Restaurant. Snacks, drinks, cigars, wines and small dishes are available in The Wine & Cigar Library, The Lobby, The Courtyard, The Pool and The Bar and Living Room. A further highlight is the 2,400 square metre Spa.
Main Strengths, Special Touch
Alpine chic meets Asian nuances throughout the 5-star hotel. In the 123 appointed rooms and suites (from 52 sq metres to 350 sq metres) Gathy achieves this cohesion by using local elements with a keen attention to detail – large fireplaces, wood panelling, and terraces allowing the indoor and outdoor spaces to blend seamlessly together.
Surrounded by the Swiss Alps, The Chedi Andermatt nestles elegantly among the ski chalets of Andermatt, a village of timeless charms in the Urseren Valley. While Milan is only a 2h car drive away, Lucerne and Zurich can be reached by car within 1h and 5h by train.
Key sites/activities in the area
Winter activities: Skiing/ snowbaording (Gemsstock, Nätschen, Disentis/Sedrun), snow shoe walk, husky tours, ice rink, sledging
Summer activities: hiking/ trekking, mountainbiking, sailing/ wind surfing on Vierwaldstätter lake, golf, Segway tours, paragliding
• “The Restaurant” – the all-day dining restaurant of The Chedi Andermatt hosts a 5 metres high cheese tower in which guests can marble and taste Swiss cheese specialities.
• 4000 of the nearly 6000 bottles of wine which are stored at The Chedi Andermatt our displayed in glass cabinets in the public areas. The Chedi also hosts two rare wine collections: 1st Château Mouton Rothschild collection – all vintages from 1945 to 2009. And a collection of Château d’Yquem wines.
• The largest selection of cigars of any hotel in the world.
• The highest altitude Japanese restaurant with a Michelin star in the world. The Japanese by The Chedi Andermatt located at 2,344m altitude (external Restaurant).
In The Chedi Bear Club, our youngest guests (4-12 years), can enjoy a wide selection of toys and a varied and exciting entertainment programme. This can be for example a movie night or a cookie cooking class.
During Peak season (December, January, March) it opens daily from 11am to 7pm.
During the rest of the winter season it opens on weekends only, from 11am to 7pm.
During summer season closed. For detailed opening hours please check on website. Nanny services and child activities can be provided anytime of the year.
• Number of suites: 79
• Number of rooms: 44
• Number of Luxury rooms / signature suits: 3 (Gemsstock, Furka, Gotthard)
• Number of rooms, (keys) in all: 123
• Deluxe Rooms (52-55sqm, 1 king size bed)
• Grand Deluxe Rooms (52-5sqm, located on higher floors, 1 king size bed)
• Junior Deluxe Suite (90sqm, separate bedroom and living room, 1 king size bed)
• Deluxe Suite (110sqm, separate bedroom and living room, 1 king size bed)
• Grand Deluxe Suite (190sqm, separate bedroom and living room, kitchen, 2 bedrooms with king size beds and 2 bathrooms
• Gemsstock Suite (134sqm, separate bedroom and living room, 1 king size bed, panoramic view)
• Furka Suite (330sqm, separate bedrooms and living room, kitchen, 3 bedrooms with king size beds, 3 bathrooms, 1 guest toilet, spa area with jacuzzi, sauna and steam room
• GOTTHARD (350sqm, separate bedrooms and living room, kitchen, 3 bedrooms with king size beds for adults, 2 bedrooms for children with 4 children beds, 5 bathrooms, 1 guest toilet, large play area for children)
Restaurants & Bars
• The Japanese by The Chedi Andermatt: Exec. Chef Dietmar Sawyere, Japanese Fusion, The highest altitude Japanese restaurant with a Michelin star in the world, External Restaurant
• The Japanese Restaurant: Exec. Chef Dietmar Sawyere, Japanese Fusion, In-House
• The Restaurant: Exec. Chef Armin Egli, Main Restaurant (all-day), 4 Showkitchen : Asian / European, 5m high cheese tower
• The Cigar Library: The largest selection of cigars of any hotel in the world.
• The Chalet: Only open during winter season, Swiss specialities (Fondue, Raclette)
• The Courtyard: Snacks and Drinks
• The Lobby: Snacks and Drinks
• The Bar and Living Room: Barchef: Marie Gerber, Snacks and Drinks
• The Wine Library
• 35m indoor pool and 12 heated outdoor pool
• 10 treatment rooms (including 2 couple treatment rooms)
• sauna, steam room and hydrothermal baths
• Hair salon The Salon by EN VOGUE
• spacious gym equipped with newest technology of Techgym and courses
Corporate & Celebration Events
The Chedi Andermatt exudes a very special spirit that appeals not only to holiday-makers. Experience the unique five-star deluxe hotel in Andermatt as a seminar, event or wedding location, and treat yourself and your guests to an exclusive experience and unforgettable moments.
Extra Notable Features
• 18 holes golf course
• cooking classes
• ice rink during winter months
• gym offers courses like spinning, yoga, ski warm up
• Skiing, Snowboarding, cross-country skiing
• Sledging / horse sledge riding
• Snowshoe hiking
Hotel & Restaurants Awards
• Guide Michelin: 1 Michelin star for The Japanese by The Chedi Andermatt at 2,300m altitude
• Forbes Travel Guide 2021: Best possible rating with 5 stars
• Hotel rating SonntagsZeitung: Best Winter Hotel of the Year 2020/21 (ranked 2nd)
• 2020 World Luxury Hotel, Spa & Restaurant Awards: Global Win in Luxury Ski Resort – The Chedi AndermattCountry Win in Luxury Mountain Resort Spa – The Spa & Health ClubContinent Win in Japanese Cuisine – The Japanese by The Chedi Andermatt
• Connoisseur Circle: The best Gourmet Hotels of Switzerland (ranked 2nd)
• Swiss Wine List Award 2020: “Sommeliers Best”, “Spirits”, “Gourmet & Stars”(ranked 1st)
• ISO 9001:2015 Management System : Providing services in the areas of the hotel industry, gastronomy, banquets and events as well as wellness and spa
• GaultMillau Schweiz: Top 10 best sushi restaurants – The Japanese Restaurant (ranked 1st)
• TripAdvisor Travelers’ Choice™ 2020: Top 10% of properties on Tripadvisor
• GaultMillau: 14 GaultMillau points forThe Japanese by The Chedi Andermatt
• Wine Spectator Restaurant Awards: Best of Award of Excellence
• Hotel rating SonntagsZeitung: Jean-Yves Blatt is Hotelier of the Year 2020/21
• Hotel rating SonntagsZeitung: Best Holiday Hotel of the Year 2020/21 (ranked 2nd) The hotel remains therefore Best Holiday Hotel in the Swiss Alps.
• Michelin Star: The Japanese Restaurant keeps its star 2020 by Dietmar Sawyere
• Forbes Travel Guide 2020: Best possible rating with 5 stars
• Condé Nast Traveler Readers’ Choice Awards 2019: The Best Ski Resorts in Europe
• International Travel Awards: Switzerland`s Best Luxury Hotel 2019
• Hotelrating SonntagsZeitung: Best Winter Hotel of the Year 2019/20 (ranked 2nd)
• 2019 World Luxury Hotel Awards: Luxury Mountain Hotel – Country Win Switzerland
• Wine Spectator Restaurant Awards: Best of Award of Excellence
• Vinum: Best Winelist of Switzerland 2019 – Sommeliers Best(ranked 1st)
• Hotel rating SonntagsZeitung: Best Winter Hotel of the Year 2019 (ranked 1st) and Best Holiday Hotel 2019/2020 (ranked 2nd)
• Forbes Travel Guide 2019: Best Rooms
• GQ Travel Award in Russia: Best Foreigner Ski Resort
• Forbes Travel Guide 2019: Best possible rating with 5 stars
• TripAdvisor Travelers’ Choice™ 2019: Top 5 among the 25 Hotels for Luxury in Switzerland
• Vinum: Best Winelist of Switzerland 2018
• Hotel rating SonntagsZeitung: Best Holiday Hotel 18 / 19
• The 150 Best Hotels in Switzerland 18 /19: Category Holiday Hotels (1st position)
• Swiss Location Award: Culinary Location (3rd position)
• AFAR: The World’s Most Exclusive Ski Resorts
• 2018 Haute Grandeur Global Awards:
-Best Activity Hotel on a Global Level
-Best Luxury Hotel in Switzerland
-Best Spa Retreat in Switzerland
-Best Wedding Hotel in Switzerland
-Best Destination Spa in Switzerland
-Best Signature Spa Treatment in Switzerland
-Golf Resort Spa in Switzerland
• City Traveler Magazine Awards: The Best Overseas Hotel Award
• World Luxury Hotel Awards 2018: Luxury Mountain Resort – Western Europe
• Connoisseur Circle: The Best Hotels of Switzerland, The Chedi Andermatt (1st Position Design Hotel)
Number of employees