Built in the 19 century, The Fife Arms Hotel is a Braemar landmark and is a category B listed building. Its size is evidence of the popularity of Braemar in the wake of Queen Victoria’s visits and her purchase of Balmoral. The building displays many of the traditional architectural characteristics of the area with its timber bargeboards, pink and grey granite and multi-gabled principal elevation. The building has retained all of its timber sash and case windows with their distinctive Arts and Crafts multi-paned upper sashes, and a large number of original chimney stacks.
Completed December 2018 designed by Russel Sage
Main Strengths, Special Touch
A truly genuine Scottish experience, The Fife Arms contains over 14,000 antiques and furnishings that were acquired during the restoration including several specially commissioned works by world-renowned contemporary artists.
The village of Braemar has a population of 450 people, the nearest town is Ballater
Key sites/activities in the area
Balmoral Castle, the Town of Ballater with the most Royal warranted shops in the UK. Fishing, Visits famous Scottish Distillery’s, walking, hiking,
Robert Louis Stevenson wrote some chapters of Treasure Island whilst staying in Braemar. We have worked with a local weaver to create our own bespoke tweed and tartan, which has been used extensively throughout the hotel.
A beautifully designed Children’s playroom, suitable for toddlers and older children with a TV games room.
• Number of suites: 15
• Number of Luxury rooms: 26
• Number of rooms, (keys) in all: 46
Restaurants & Bars
• The Flying Stag – Local’s Pub with great pub food featuring Scottish specialities
• Elsa’s – The perfect spot for a pre-prandial aperitif or late-night digestif, the bar showcases Scottish spirits and elixirs
• The Drawing Room – Afternoon Tea, and lounge area
• The Clunie Dining Room – showcases the art of wood-fired cooking.
• 3 treatment Rooms
From Hot Cairngorm Stones to Deep Tissue Acupressure, our massage offerings will use a variety of techniques and methods to ease, calm and transform
Corporate & Celebration Events
• An Award-winning lunch hut located on a nearby Estate, Culardoch Shielling is available on certain dates for private lunches and gatherings. A remote location 45 minutes from the hotel. A unique experience for 12 people
• Recalling the interiors of a Scottish croft, this private dining room can seat up to 12 people for a private meal or meeting next to an impressive fireplace and a specially commissioned chandelier by Indian artist Subodh Gupta. Overlooking our internal courtyard and featuring a dramatic antler chandelier, The Fog House can accommodate a maximum of 28 people boardroom style over 2 tables or 40 – 50 people on rounds
Extra Notable Features
• Art Tours
• Yoga classes
• A list of our cultural events programme can be found on our website, including talks by artisans that we worked with throughout the hotel, workshops with our in-house forager etc.