THE K CLUB, IRELAND
The K Club
Straffan, Co Kildare,
Date of Creation
July 15, 1991
Hotel General Manager
5 Star Luxury Resort (Preferred Hotel Group)
History & Story
In the 1800s, when celebrated winemaker Hugh Barton was looking for a place in Ireland in which to build his country estate, he chose the picturesque townland of Straffan in County Kildare. He was drawn here by its stunning landscape, rolling green fields and the gentle flow of the river Liffey. Today Hugh Barton’s dream location is the world-renowned K Club, an understated and most beautiful demesne which is home to Ireland’s finest five-star hotel.
The K Club, which is just 30 minutes from Dublin city, is the epitome of modern comfort and sophisticated charm. Here you will experience the very best in five-star hotel service, while also enjoying everything the beautiful Irish countryside has to offer. Since opening its doors a quarter of a century ago, The K Club has established itself as the consummate Irish country retreat for discerning guests from around the world. In that time, it has also become Ireland’s first AA 5 Red Star Hotel and a member of the prestigious Preferred Hotels and Resorts group.
Hugh Barton’s appreciation for the finer things in life and his commitment to excellence remain a vital part of The K Club’s legacy. With two championship golf courses, an internationally renowned spa, a range of outdoor pursuits and a selection of award-winning restaurants, The K Club is the ultimate destination for a luxurious, restful break.
Date added extensions:
2002: An additional 33 bedrooms were built.
2015: A further 70 bedrooms were built along with a new hotel bar.
Main Strengths, Special Touch
The K Club is the perfect destination for families as it offers luxury family accommodation including interconnecting bedrooms, luxury pull-out sofa beds and two bedroom suites. It also offers a range of family friendly activities ensuring there is something for everyone to do.
The K Club is located in the village of Straffan in County Kildare, Ireland which is just 30 minutes from Dublin International Airport and Dublin City Centre.
Key sites/activities in the area
Irish National Stud Kilkenny Castle
Japanese Gardens Rock of Cashel
Trim Castle The Curragh
Glendalough Kildare Village
Hill of Tara
The K Club hosted the Ryder Cup in 2006 making it Ireland’s only Ryder Cup venue.
The K Club has a private mile-long stretch of the River Liffey which runs at the back of the hotel and through the grounds.
The K Club offers a dedicated kids club called The K Cubs Kids Club during peak seasons.
Number of suites: 16
Number of Luxury rooms: 118
Number of rooms, (keys) in all: 134
Restaurants & Bars
• The Byerley Turk Restaurant – traditional Irish cuisine
• The River Room Restaurant – Full Irish Breakfast and Continental Breakfast
• Legends Restaurant – European Cuisine
• The K Thai – Thai & Asian Cuisine
• The Vintage Crop Cocktail Bar – Cocktail & Cigar Bar
• Media Puzzle Lounge – Light Bar Food
• 20,000sq/ft Spa • Gym
• Indoor Swimming pool • 7 Treatment Rooms
• Sauna • Aromatic Herb Garden
• Steam Room • Jacuzzi
• Outdoor Hot Tub
Corporate & Celebration Events
• 10 on-site conference and meeting venues
• Capacities ranging for up to 500 people
• Private Island available for exclusive hire on the resort
• Marquees are also an option in the gardens of The K Club
Extra Notable Features
• Two Arnold Palmer designed championship golf courses
•Wine Cellar Tours
• Walking & Cycling
• Fishing • Whiskey Tasting
• Horse Riding
• Irish Coffee Making demos
• Air Rifle Shooting
• Clay-Pigeon Shooting
Hotel and restaurant Awards
• Best Golf Resort 2016 – Golfers Guide to Ireland
• Golf Resort of the Year – Irish Golf Tour Operator Association
• Best Wine Experience in Kildare 2016 – Restaurant Association of Ireland
• Irish Tatler Magazine, Highly Commended Craniosacral Massage – award for K Spa
• European Tour Shot of The Year 2016, shot by Rory McIlroy on The Ryder Cup Course, Designed by Arnold Palmer
• National Hospitality Award 2016
• Golfer’s Guide to Ireland, Best Parkland Course Overall
• 2015 Best Spa Therapist – voted by the readers of Irish Tatler
• Number One Parkland course in Ireland 2014 – voted by the readers of Golfing Weekly
• No. 4 Best Resort in Europe – Conde Nast Traveler Reader’s Choice Awards 2014
• Proud member of the Dublin East Coast Golf Alliance who won Best Golf Destination in Europe
• Best Irish Golf Hotel – World Golf Awards 2014
• The Restaurant Association of Ireland – Best Hotel Restaurant in Kildare
• The Restaurant Association of Ireland – Best Wine Experience
Number of employees