VIDAGO PALACE HOTEL
Vidago Palace Hotel
Parque de Vidago , 5425-307 Vidago
Privately owned by the company Unicer, Portugal’s largest beverage company.
Date of creation
The Hotel was built and opened on October 6th. 1910. The actual owners of the Hotel (Unicer), bought the property in 2004 and after two years in 2006, closed the property during four years for a complete restauration of the Hotel, reopening on October 6th. 2010, exactly one hundred years after the official opening ceremony.
Hotel General Manager
Mr. Jorge Almeida – General Manager with extensive experience in the luxurious Hotel industry. A highly motivated professional in the hospitality industry with proven leadership abilities and experience working as part of a team. Extensive experience across the industry / tourism that includes hotel openings and operations as a project leader.
Specialties: Sales & Marketing, Finance, Food & Beverage, Hotel Openings, Golf Resorts, Luxurious Hotels
Previous Hotels, Villa Padierna – Marbella, Asia Gardens – Alicante, both in Spain. Orient Express Hotels – Lapa & Quinta do Lago -, Praia D’El Rey Marriott, Penha Longa Resort – Portugal
5-star Luxury Hotel and Member of Leading Hotels of the world
Aiming for High-end worldwide full independent travelers, looking for a unique experience in a super herb destination/location staying in a Palace from 1910 enjoying Golf, Wellness, wine and fine dining gastronomy in a region, which was the first demarcated wine region in the world.
VIDAGO PALACE HOTEL
History & Story
The Vidago Palace Hotel was commissioned by King Carlos I and opened on October 06th 1910. At this time the legendary Vidago mineral water were considerate an asset of national interest. In 1936, the Vidago Palace Hotel became home to a 9-hole golf course. The combination of a country estate with thermal treatments and a golf course put the Vidago Palace Hotel among the most prestigious European resorts at the time of the Second World War. The Vidago Palace Hotel reopens , after 4 years of refurbishment with the mission to offer their guests an authentic journey back in time.
Between 2006 and 2010 – The hotel closed 04 years for a total restauration and an investment of 80 million Euros. Hotel (all areas), Club House, Golf Course (turn in 18 holes – before it was 9 holes), Spa and Fountains by Architect Alvaro Size Vieira, winner of Pritzker Prize. Interiors designed by Jose Pedro Vieira and Diogo Rosa Lã.
Main Strengths, Special Touch
A historical building and background. A thermal Spa with mineral natural Vidago Gas Carbonic Water, an 18hole championship golf course designed by Cameron & Powell, a centenary park and Portuguese traditional food.
The north of East of Portugal is a very attractive destination for all nature lovers. We are located 10 minutes drive from Spain and 30 minutes from the famous region of the Douro Valley, considered World heritage by Unesco.
The independence of Portugal and its creation started in a city called Guimarães, which distance is 40 minutes from us, therefore from cultural, historic, religious to gastronomic and wine tasting experiences, there is a lot to discover in the surrounding area.
From Porto, the hotel is 1 hour driving distance away.
Key sites/activities in the area
• Visit the wine-growing estates of the Douro (wine tastings, tasting dinners and walks among the vines)
• Visit the region’s emblematic eateries to try the typical gastronomy of the north of Portugal (Guide to « Tascas”)
• The pilgrims’ way to Santiago de Compostela starting from Vidago
• Hiking trails of different degrees of difficulty (with guide or without)
• Itinerary to the old Roman gold mines at Vila Pouca de Aguiar
• Itinerary to the roman city of Chaves
Pena Aventura Park – A park located in Ribeira de Pena, dedicated to outdoor leisure activities and adventure sports, where you can ride a zip wire, play paintball, do canoeing… Located approximately 20 minutes away from the Vidago Palace Hotel.
Events at Chaves Casino with dinner and show included, approximately 15 minutes away
• Number of suites: 10 – Divided into 6 Junior Suites and 04 Grand Suites.
Junior Suites with an area ranging between 39 and 49 square meters. The two fronts, offer the view over the park and mountains that surrounds the hotel. The highlight of this room is the small living separate to the bedroom. The spacious “en suite” bathrooms with natural light have separate bath and shower.
04 Grand Suites with an area of 88 square meters, located in the heart of the palace they offer a privileged view over the park. Inspired in nature, the suites have on the walls a « De Gournay » silk wallpaper that combines with the elegance of the antiques furnishing. Divided into 4 sections: bedroom, separate living room, office and a waking closet. All inside bathrooms have shower and separate bath.
• Number of Luxury rooms:
07 Privilege Rooms with an area between 45 to 38 square meters. These rooms are the most multifaceted.They are very large and welcoming, some of them offering a delightful park view through large windows and receiving a plenty of natural light. The other rooms located in the ground floor with private terraces and sunbeds. The spacious “en suite” bathrooms with natural light have separate bath and shower. Communicating rooms for families situated in the ground floor with private terraces and sunbeds.
• Number of rooms, (keys) in all:
37 Classic rooms with an area between 22 to 25 square meters, offering Park or Mountain View.
Cosy stand rooms available with double Queen Size beds or Twin beds, with bath or shower and most of them with natural light in the bathroom.
14 Superior rooms with an area between 30 to 40 square meters, all rooms provide a pleasant Mountain View.
They are extremely comfortable and spacious with large King Size Beds. The bathroom with natural light offers a bath. Communicating rooms for families available in this category located in the ground floor with a private terrace and sunbeds.
Room Amenities : 24 hour room service, bottled mineral and sparkling water, Molton Brown toiletries, individually controlled air conditioning, hairdryers, mini-bars, movies on demand, bathrobe and slippers, daily maid service and complimentary Wi-Fi access available in all public areas and bedrooms.
Restaurants & Bars
• Jardim de Inverno 80 seats is the restaurant for breakfast with a terrace used during the summer season
• Club House restaurant with 60 seats – a la carte menu and open for lunch
• Ballroom “Salão Nobre” main fine dining restaurant with 140 seats, open for lunch and dinner, with a la carte menu, degustation menu and Half Board or Full Board Menu classic Portuguese and international dishes
• Bars, lounges: Four Season Salon, Hotel Bar, Wine cellar and Pool Bar
Contemporary in style and opening to the lush surrounding lawns, the Thermal Spa of the Vidago Palace has a total area of 2,500 m2. Treatments are performed with Vidago natural mineral water, by highly specialized technicians. The facilities consist of:
• 20 treatment rooms; 1 outdoor pool and 1 indoor pool; 1 pool with jets of warm water (Vitality Pool);
• 1 Turkish bath; 1 sauna; 1 state-of-the-art gym; 1 area for meditation with 2 relaxation rooms;
The Thermal Spa offers other services for guests and visitors. Among these are:
• Medical and nutritional consultation; Personal Trainer; Pilates; Yoga; Shiatsu; Reflexology ; Tai-Chi
Corporate & Celebration Events
• The Conference Centre has 7 meeting rooms, 1 multi-purpose room, 1 reception area and 1 bar with
different sizes that can be used connected or individually according to specific requests. All meeting rooms have natural light and free wi-fi internet.
• Auditorium with natural light and view to the lake of the park, has at its disposal 264 seats and room for 12 people on stage, with a total area of 310m2.
• We organize several type of events: Meetings, Incentives, Corporate, Celebrations (Weddings etc.), Car Launches, Golf Tournaments
Extra Notable Features
• Driving Range
• Golf Academy
• 18 hole Championship Golf Course on the property
• Summer outdoor cinema; Yoga Classes; Cooking classes; Tour through the village of Vidago in the Manschester Bus from 1936
Hotel and restaurant Awards
• Condé Nast Traveller Awards – Best International Spa
• Traveller’s Choise byTrip Advisor
World Luxury Hotel Awards – Best Luxury Spa Hotel in the World
• Most Prestigious Wedding Venue Award – “Most Prestigious Wedding Venue”
• Portugal Trade Awards – Best Independent Hotel
• Condé Nast Johansens Awards – « Best New or Back on the Scene Hotel »
• Traveler’s Choise by Trip Advisor
• World Luxury Spa Awards 2014 – « Best Luxury Destination Spa »
• 7 Star Global Luxury Awards – Best Luxury
Number of employees