Villa Principe LeopoldoSwitzerland
Villa Principe Leopoldo
Via Montalbano 5, 6900 Lugano
Ticino Hotels Group
Date of Creation
Hotel General Manager
5 star Relais & Châteaux
VILLA PRINCIPE LEOPOLDO
History & Story
A former princely residence to the Hohenzollern, Villa Principe Leopoldo reigns majestically over Lugano. The Hohenzollern were an eminent German noble family which ruled over Prussia from 1701 and all of Germany as Kaiser after 1871.
In 1926, the cavalry general Friederich Leopold, commissioned a summer residence Villa Principe Leopoldo. The villa was witness to world changing history as it served as the family residence. Illustrious figures from the illustrious noble European families sojourned at the villa until Leopold’s death in 1931.
After the villa changed hands two times, it was established as a club. In 1986, it was definitively turned into a hotel. Villa Principe Leopoldo, with its postmodern architectural style, stands tall on top of Lugano’s Collina d’Oro (golden hill).
The villa is formed like a natural arena. The mountains form a circular stage with their reflection in the blue of the lake and the sparkling lights of the banks of the city of Lugano. In the years following the hotel’s opening in 1986, world renowned celebrities returned. Opera singers, actors and famous American singers were frequent guests. The long guest list was completed with members of royal families and important leaders from finance, politics and industry.
The same is true today as important stars and sports personalities frequent the villa during their stays in and around Lugano. Their appreciation is double fold because of Villa Principe Leopoldo’s discreet attention to privacy.
Main Strengths, Special Touch
Unique terrace overlooking Lugano’s Gulf; – excellence of the gastronomic offer.
Close to the city center but in a very quiet and residential high-end area.
“Collina d’Oro”, exclusive residential area of Lugano’s surroundings.
Key sites/activities in the area
• Exclusive and luxury Shopping in Lugano city center especially the well Known Via Nassa,
• Excursion with Funicolare to Monte Bré and San Salvatore,
• Boat trips on the lake with visit of the little picturesque villages,
• Trekking pathways (Tamaro Montain with the church of arch. Botta),
• UNESCO site: the castle in Bellinzona.
• more than 25 years cooperation between Chef de cuisine and 2 Maitres d’Hotel and Sommerlier,
• Hotel vineyard with the production of the red wine “Rosso del Principe”,
• Unique Selection in the Wine Cellar of “unavailable” renowned wines and spirits (Cognacs, Armagnacs, Single Malts).
Kids play area in the garden close to the Villa.
Number of rooms in all: 37 rooms
• 7 x Deluxe Junior Suites: These double bedrooms overlook the gardens. Located on the two floors below the Villa’s main terrace, these bedrooms have a surface of about 45 sq meters (about 485 sqft). Large bathroom with tub and shower.
• 26 x Deluxe One Bedroom Suite: Located on the two floors below the Villa’s main terrace , these rooms have a surface of about 60sq metres (about 650 sqft). They consists in a night area and a sitting corner, and all have a large terrace. The bathroom and toilet are separate. On request there’s the possibility of adding an extra bed.
• 2 x Princess Garden Suite: These corner Suites enjoy a fine view of the garden. Located on the two floors below the Villa’s main terrace, the Garden Suites have a surface of about 75 sq meters (about 810 sqft) with direct access into the living room, overlooking the garden, from which one passes into the bedroom with terrace, bathroom with Jacuzzi and separate toilet and shower.
Upon request, it is possible to have a connecting Deluxe room.
• 2 x Signature Lake Suite: Both spacious and bright, these Suites enjoy a breathtaking view on Lake Lugano. Located on the floor below the main terrace of the Villa, these rooms have a surface of about 130 sq metres (about 1.350 sqft). They consist in a bedroom, connected through the entrance hallway with a living room, terrace overlooking the lake, bathroom with steam shower and two separate toilets (one for the living room and one for the bedroom). Upon request, it is possible to add a third bed.
Restaurants & Bars
• Ristorante Principe Leopoldo
Gastronomic, modern cuisine with classical and Mediterranean influences.
• Bar Principe
Warm charming atmosphere with live piano bar every night and a bistrot menu.
• Chef’s name
• Outdoor swimming pool,
• Boutique Luxury Spa for exclusive beauty treatments and Private SPA Suite with Jacuzzi, Sauna and Turkish bath,
• Fitness centre with qualified personal trainer,
• 2 tennis courts (open air).
Corporate & Celebration Events
• 250 guests for cocktail receptions,
• 160 guests for banquets,
• 200 guests for conferences.
Extra Notable Features
• Electric bikes rental,
• Maserati rental,
• Golf club fees,
Personal trainer for Pilates, Yoga lesson and Fit Walking in the Hill around the Hotel.
Hotel & Restaurants Awards
16/20 points of Gault et Millau guide.
16/20 points of Gault et Millau guide
Number of employees