Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh – The Caledonian United Kingdom
Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh – The Caledonian
1 Princes Street
Edinburgh EH12AB, UK
Caledonian Operating Company – Privately Owned
Date of Creation
Hotel General Manager
Ms Dale MacPhee
5* Luxury Hotel
WALDORF ASTORIA EDINBURGH – THE CALEDONIAN
History & Story
Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh – The Caledonian once was and still is the epitome of style and elegance. Following an extensive refurbishment in all areas of the hotel, Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh offers a total of 241 newly and luxuriously renovated bedrooms and suites, many with spectacular views overlooking the Edinburgh Castle. In-room amenities include Nespresso coffee machines, Salvatore Ferragamo bathroom amenities, luxurious bathrobes and slippers as well as and specialised Waldorf Astoria 300 thread-count linen.
The former railway station hotel, dating back to 1903, stands proudly at the West End of Princes Street, which is an the ideal location to discover the majestic capital City of Edinburgh.
Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh – The Caledonian represents a dedication to excellence that combines elegance with luxurious amenities and service that is world renowned.
Renovated in 2012, following a £24 million refurbishment programme, after which the hotel joined the luxury brand of Waldorf Astoria Hotels and Resorts. Design team was Fox Linton.
Main Strengths, Special Touch
• the only Waldorf Astoria Hotel in the UK,
• set within Edinburgh’s picturesque World Heritage Site,
• original railway station hotel, built in 1903 and fully refurbished in September 2012, following a £24 million renovation,
• abundance of listed features and character within the property,
• 68 stunning caslte view bedrooms,
• UK’s first and only Guerlain Spa.
Watch this video about the Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh
Located on the iconic Princes Street, in the heart of Scotland’s capital city, Edinburgh.
Key sites/activities in the area
• sightseeing at Edinburgh Castle
• tour of the Royal Yacht Britannia
• golf in Edinburgh or the surrounding St Andrews and Gleneagles
• In 1953 Gene Kelly stayed at the hotel and could not resist taking a few impromptu steps down the grand staircase.
• Grace Kelly stayed at the property in 1976 and sampled a Caledonian Pale Ale and rather enjoyed it.
• Children can enjoy their very own VIP amenities including Loch Ness Monsters.
• Children’s menus are offered throughout the hotel.
• Activity books for children are available for all ages in all public areas.
• 241 stunning bedrooms, 68 of which have breathtaking views overlooking the Edinburgh Castle.
• All rooms feature Nespresso coffee machines, Salvatore Ferragamo bathroom amenities and 300 thread-count unique Waldorf Astoria linen.
Restaurants & Bars
• Grazing by Mark Greenaway
Relax, unwind and of course eat in the casual and welcoming environment created by award-winning chef Mark Greenaway. The menu, which reflects the laidback ‘grazing’ concept, showcases a mix of traditional, modern and sharing plates. Always incorporating locally sourced ingredients with unique concept dishes created by Mark.
Chef Mark Greenaway is an ambassador for Scotland Food and Drink. His commitment and drive place him in the very top tier of Scottish chefs. Mark’s first cookbook, ‘Perceptions’, received the ‘Best in the World’ award at The Gourmand Cookbook Awards in 2017.
Grazing by Mark Greenaway is situated on the ground floor of the hotel with access from Peacock Alley and Rutland Street.
For more information or to make a reservation please call +44(0)131 222 8857 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Peacock Alley
Formerly the station concourse and ticket office, Peacock Alley represents the historic heart of the hotel and is imbued with the timeless style and sophistication of this famous former railway hotel. Located within the impressive lobby lounge, this is the place to see and be seen.
Meet for an indulgent afternoon tea, or host an informal business gathering in a private and professional setting. Sip signature cocktails and unwind at the end of a busy day.
• The Caley Bar
Experience casual elegance and trendy sophistication at The Caley Bar. Inspired by the orient express, this Edinburgh destination bar offers a historic tribute to the luxury hotel’s Victorian past.
Savour pre-dinner drinks, discover and taste over 100 whiskies, from hidden gems to well-known brands. Sip on class and signature cocktails, or dine with family, friends and colleagues from the light bar menu
The exclusive Guerlain Spa is the only one of its kind in the UK. It features a 12-meter indoor swimming pool, sauna, steam room, jacuzzi, cardio gym and fitness centre as well as 5 Guerlain treatment rooms. Personal training programs can be designed for short and long stay guests.
Hotel & Restaurants Awards
Scottish Hotel Awards 2019 – People of Excellence: Alexandre Vanacker
Scottish Hotel Awards 2019 – People of Excellence: Events Team
Scottish Hotel Awards 2019 – Fine Dining Restaurant Hotel of the year
Scottish Hotel Awards 2019 – Large Wedding Hotel of the year
Scottish Hotel Awards 2018 – City Hotel of the Year
Scottish Hotel Awards 2018 – People of Excellence: Duty/Operations Manager of the Year [Franck Bruyere]
Scottish Hotel Awards 2018 – People of Excellence: Hotel Executive Chef of the Year [Ryan MacFarlane]
Scottish Hotel Awards 2018 – Highly Commended: Fine Dining Hotel of the Year
Hotels.com Awards 2018 – Loved by Guests award
Luxury Travel Guide Awards 2018 – Luxury City Hotel Edinburgh
World Luxury Hotel Awards 2017 – Regional Winner Luxury Spa H
Number of employees