1 Kayenta Road Canyon Point, UTAH 84741
Date of Creation
Hotel General Manager
Mr. Julien Surget
5-star Luxury resort
History & Story
The unique story of how Amangiri came to be is a true testimonial to its owners’ perseverance and passion for creating something very special in the Utah high desert. The resort is situated on approximately 600 acres of spectacular land that was originally federally protected parklands. The Owners embarked on a complicated land-swap which required Congressional approval and signature of the President of the United States and, perhaps for the first time ever, a private resort was built on what was originally federally protected parklands.
Main Strengths, Special Touch
Designed to weather like the surrounding natural stone, the resort is built around the main swimming pool which embraces a natural 160-million-year-old rock escarpment.
Amangiri (peaceful mountain) is located on 600 acres in Canyon Point, Southern Utah. The resort is tucked into a protected valley with sweeping views towards the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument. Built around a central swimming pool with spectacular views, the resort blends into its dramatic surrounds of deep canyons and towering plateaus. Amangiri’s Aman Spa features a floatation therapy pavilion, a water pavilion with sauna, steam room, cold plunge pool and step pool, a fitness centre and a yoga pavilion.
Key sites/activities in the area
The striking desert landscape around Amangiri offers a host of outdoor activities such as:
– Lake Powell, provides access to some of the most amazing scenery on the Colorado Plateau.
– Hiking & Via Ferrata: a number of on-site hiking trails start from the resort, leading to picturesque viewpoints and other sites of interest.
– Horse Riding: experiencing the pristine desert tundra on horse is an iconic American Southwest adventure.
– Colorado River: the peaceful stretch of river is perfect for scenic float trips.
– Air Tours: either by helicopter or in a fixed wing aircraft, experience a unique vantage point from which to view magnificent landscapes.
– Slot Canyons: sculpted over millions of years by wind and water, slot canyons represent one of region’s most unique sandstone formations with their curving, multi-coloured walls.
– National Parks: Amangiri’s location in the Grand Circle region of the Colorado Plateau is within easy reach of the highest concentration of National Parks in the US.
An archaeological dig in the 90’s discovered numerous artefacts that served as evidence of the area being inhabited by prehistoric and Native American tribes; the hotel’s concrete structure was designed to weather like the surrounding rocks.
There are some popular children’s activities such as the Amangiri scavenger hunt, the family climb and rappel or petroglyph and ancient culture exploration.
Each of the 34 suites at Amangiri have individual characters and views to make them different from one another.
• 14 Mesa View Suites – 93 sqm
• 13 Desert View Suites – 93 sqm
• 1 Terrace Suite – 107 sqm
• 2 Mesa Pool Suites – 146 sqm
• 2 Desert Pool Suites – 150 sqm
• 1 Girijaala Suite – 347 sqm
• 1 Amangiri Suite – 348 sqm
• 1 Mesa Home – 576 sqm
Restaurants & Bars
• Dining: Open for breakfast, lunch, dinner, the Dining Room features floor to ceiling glass doors which open onto the outdoor dining terrace overlooking the swimming pool. A focal point of the Dining Room is the open kitchen with its wood-fired oven imparting a unique flavour and rustic authenticity to Amangiri’s cuisine. Executive Chef, Shon Foster, changes the menu frequently, focusing on locally sourced seasonal produce.
• Private Dining Room and Wine Cellar: Located opposite the open kitchen is the Private Dining Room and the Wine Cellar. The felt-clad Private Dining Room with large wooden table and open fireplace seats up to ten people. Ideal for private gatherings, the large wooden doors can remain open so guests can experience the open kitchen or they can be closed for privacy. Next to the Private Dining Room is a walk-in Wine Cellar. The floor-to-ceiling walnut cabinets house a selection of wines and a built-in, state of the art wine dispenser.
• The Aman Spa: The 2,322m2 (25,000ft2) Aman Spa at Amangiri is a destination in its own right, providing a serene setting for relaxation and rejuvenation. The holistic spa menu draws on Navajo healing traditions, with spa journeys designed to restore hozho, Navajo for ‘beauty, harmony, balance and health’.
• The Swimming Pool: Amangiri’s world renowned pool is set within a sunken courtyard framed by the Pavilion and rock escarpment. The pool wraps around the rock to finish with a hot tub that sits at the base of a rock wall.
Corporate & Celebration Events
Amangiri offers a venue to suit every occasion, whether intimate or on a grand scale. These range from spaces within the resort, such as the Private Dining Room, to the incredible natural settings outside. A dedicated team oversees every detail, including recommendations for photographers and other event professionals. The venues include the Chinle Site, the Fireside Pavilion, the Saddle landing, the Raven’s Nest and the Desert Lounge, all offering incredible settings.
Extra Notable Features
• Amangiri is the first resort in North America to offer its guests on property Via Ferrata trails.
Hotel & Restaurants Awards
• Grace Ormond, The Top 100 Wedding Destinations to Celebrate Love
• Conde Nast Traveler, Gold List 2017
• Harper’s Bazaar Travel Guide 2017, 150 World’s Greatest Hotels
• Conde Nast Traveller – Readers Travel Awards, Top Resorts in the West
• Organic Spa Magazine, 2016 TOP 10 ORGANIC SPA MEDIA AWARD
• Andrew Harper, Reader’s Choice Awards 2016, Top 20 United States Hideaways
• Andrew Harper, Reader’s Choice Awards 2016, Best Family Resorts
• Andrew Harper, Reader’s Choice Awards 2016, Best Spa Resorts
• U.S. News & World Report Best Hotels rankings, Best Hotels in the USA – Golden Badge Winner