Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa
Carretera Federal Cancún-Tulum KM51,
Playa del Carmen, Q. Roo 77710,
Date of creation
General Manager | Cluster Manager Mexico
Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa
5-stars Boutique Hotel
Until further notice during 2019
BELMOND MAROMA RESORT & SPA
History and Story
Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa – History and Background
In 1976 architect Jose Luis Moreno took a flight that would change his life. As he looked down he saw breathtakingly beautiful white sand and turquoise water on the edge of a coconut plantation surrounded by lush jungle. Moreno fell in love with what was then an unnamed bay, and bought the land from the plantation owner. In 1980 he met Sally Shaw, a visiting writer from Chicago, and invited her to his beach. After six months of romance the couple decided to stay together forever. When Hurricane Gilbert destroyed their original one room getaway in 1988, Moreno designed a new home. Moreno worked with a family of Maya masons, true believers of the Sacred Geometry, to align the white stucco buildings with energy fields. This same family continued to work with Moreno on the new villas and spa when the couple decided to turn their home into the first luxury boutique hotel in the area. The Maroma Hotel, as it was known at the time, officially opened on Valentines Day 1995. In 2002 the Morenos sold a majority stake to what was then Orient-Express Hotels and the Maroma became part of the Belmond family.
Main strengths, special touch
Intimate location | Beachfront resort | Mexican atmosphere | Best beach in the world | Internationally reknowed spa | 63 rooms and suites aligned to the ocean | personal touch
- Located in the Riviera Maya of Mexico
- 30 minutes from Cancun International Airport
- 20 minutes from Playa del Carmen
- Nearby boho-chic Tulum
- On-site Marina with snorkeling and diving activities. Padi certifications available
- Mayan arqueological sites nearby (Tulum, Chichen Itza)
- Cenotes, natural reserves and some other expeditions nearby
- Guests can find every morning at breakfast, a lady preparing handmade tortillas for our guests
- Every night at dusk, 1000 candles are lit, one by one, to make the environtment even more romantic
- At Kinan Spa, in some seasons, if you stand in the center, you can see the full moon in one side and the sun setting in the other. This is a perfect balance as itw as built based in the Sacred Mayan Geometry
The Game Center is open daily (except on Sundays) from 9 :00 – 5 :00 pm where children from 4 to 12 years old are welcome to explore their creativity and play in organized activities.
There are also some other activities for teenagers and adults like Bike Tour every morning from 9 :30 am to 10 :30 am.
• NUMBER OF SUITES: 33
Junior and Master Suites offer spacious living room, separate bathtub and shower, a terrace with hammock as an outdoor living offering garden/ocean views. Maximum occupancy for Master Suites and Oceanfront Suites is three adults or two adults and one child 13 or older or two adults and two children under 12. For Deluxe Rooms, maximum occupancy is two guests; adults or children.
Ocean View Junior Suites (9) – 450sq.ft. (42sq.mt.) Unwind to the shimmering ocean views from this suite. King size or twin beds subject to availability.
Garden View Master Suites (3) – 678sq.ft. (63sq.mt.) Set amongst the gardens and a few steps to the beach, enjoy pure bliss of nature. King size bed only.
Ocean View Master Suites (12) – 678sq.ft. (63sq.mt.) This suite affords amazing views of the ocean and gardens. King size or twin beds subject to availability. Can connect to Garden Room.
Oceanfront One-bedroom Suites (9) – 1,916sq.ft. (178sq.mt.) An ultra-luxurious option to enjoy a getaway in Mexico. These suites feature: king size beds, a plunge pool, a double sink and double shower. Some suites boast an a/c fitness room, making them perfect for love birds. Other suites instead, feature a separate room that can accommodate two twin-size beds, the perfect choice for a family of four.
• NUMBER OF LUXURY ROOMS: 30
Deluxe Garden View Room (14) – 325sq.ft. (30sq.mt.) Situated near the pools and surrounded by lush tropical foliage. King size or twin beds subject to availability. Can connect to Ocean View Master Suite.
Deluxe Ocean View Room (16) – 325sq.ft. (30sq.mt.) Located near the beach with stunning views of the Caribbean from the terrace. King size bed in every room.
• NUMBER OF ROOMS, (KEYS) IN ALL: 63
Restaurants & bars
• El Sol Restaurant Contemporary Mexican cuisine. Diners can pair flavors with the best wine labels from the award-winning Wine Cellar. (Dinner 7- 11pm)
•El Restaurante For breakfast and lunch, savor regional Mexican cuisine. At dinner, El Restaurante combines Mexican flavors with a Mediterranean flair. (Breakfast 7-11am; Lunch 11:30am-5pm; Dinner 6-10:30pm)
• Freddy’s Tequila and Ceviche Bar This beachfront bar offers the largest collection of tequila and mezcal in the region. (9am – 11pm)
• A Dining Plan available at time of booking
• Kinan Spa offers treatments based on ancient Mayan healing techniques, yoga, pilates, wellness and complimentary workshops.
• Fitness Center, open 24 hours
• Three outdoor pools, one exclusively for adults.
• Two tennis courts, complimentary
• Bike tour, for adults only, complimentary
• On-site Marina with complimentary use of Kayaks and Hobie cats. Also snorkeling and scuba diving with PADI certification (fee applies).
• Cilantro Juice Bar at Kinan Spa, offering an enticing juice menu and healthy snacks
Corporate and celebration events
• Located on palm-fringed shores and beside lush jungle, the resort’s gardens and soft sand beach are made for magical moments. Whether professional gatherings or destination weddings, Belmond has all the ingredients to make a lasting impression.
• Al fresco venues with inspiring scenarios for intimate weddings or incentive travel with capacity up to 250 guests.
• A private and well-equipped conference room for board meetings
Extra Notable Features
• Indulgent gastronomic experiences including cooking lessons, dinners on the beach, tequila tastings, and more.
• For children, a game center with organized activities, spa treatment and food menu available.
Hotel and restaurant(s) Awards
• Five-Star Hotel, second consecutive year. (2016 and 2017)
• Wellness resort and Tropical Getaway, Travel+Leisure México
• #3 Top Resorts in Mexico – Brides Magazine
• #18 Top Resorts in Eastern Mexico: Condé Nast’s Readers’ Choice Awards 2017
• Best of Award of Excellence, Wine Spectator 2015-2017
• Five-Star Hotel, Forbes Travel Guide
• Best Hotel with Spa Experience, Travel+Leisure
• #4 Top 10 Honeymoon Resorts in Mexico, Brides Magazine
• Readers’ Choice Awards: #3 Top Resorts in Eastern Mexico, Condé Nast
• The 50 Best Resorts in the World, Condé Nast
Number of employees