Casa de Sierra Nevada, A Belmond Hotel, San Miguel de Allende Mexico
Casa de Sierra Nevada, A Belmond Hotel, San Miguel de Allende
Hospicio 35, Centro, San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico
Date of Creation
Hotel General Manager
Eric González. He began his journey in the industry in 1997 as Concierge at the Marriott Mexico City Airport Hotel, and over the last ten years, he has served as Director of Room Operations and Task Force in Mexico, United States, Puerto Rico, El Salvador and, recently, at El Encanto, in Santa Barbara, California; and Cap Juluca, located in Anguilla, both Belmond hotels. This background has made him an expert in luxury hospitality, but his reputation has been strongly marked by his passion and excellent management of customer service and customer care, based on outstanding communication skills, ability to listen and ingenuity to develop creative solutions that generate satisfaction. He is a skilled leader who sets clear expectations and motivates teams to deliver stellar service.
Four-Stars by Forbes Travel Guide.
CASA DE SIERRA NEVADA, A BELMOND HOTEL, SAN MIGUEL DE ALLENDE
History & Story
Composed of six colonial mansions, including the former 16th-century residence of the archbishop, our hotel’s rich history blends seamlessly with the vibrant present In 1959, around the time the Beat Generation writers Jack Kerouac and Allen Ginsberg were downing tequilas in San Miguel de Allende’s La Cucaracha bar, the Palomino family were turning a former 16th-century convent into a comfortable inn. Three minutes’ walk from La Parroquia – the city’s soaring, neo-Gothic parish church – the convent’s unadorned façade shielded the internal courtyard gardens from the heat and dust.
Over the ensuing years, the property passed through a selection of different owners and expanded into adjacent buildings. In 1997, it extended into the nearby historic Casa del Parque building, which had served as a fort in the 17th and 18th centuries, and Casa Principal, former residence of the
Archbishop of San Miguel de Allende. In 2006, Belmond took the reins and embarked on a programme of sensitive refurbishment to preserve and enhance the property’s 400-year-old history.
Each mansion, or casa, houses individually fashioned guestrooms and suites, many with outdoor courtyards or small gardens. Every design detail is a one-off, from hand-carved furniture and antique tapestries to colorful Talavera tiles. Delightful local touches abound – such as the handpainted mural in Andanza restaurant, or the Blue Bar’s oversized Mezcal table crafted from a reclaimed farmhouse door. Striking contemporary art, reflecting the city’s strong creative spirit, greets you at every turn.
Fully renovated, 2018.
Main Strengths, Special Touch
Privileged location in Hospicio, one of the main streets in San Miguel de Allende. The hotel is private, intimate and small property with only 37 rooms and suites, which are divided in 6 different houses of the 18th century, decorated with modern features. Some suites offer private plunge pool, some other private terraces, impressive vistas to the city. Swimming pool, cooking classes at their own Sazón cooking school, art workshops with resident artist Luis Arias and Laja Spa, to unwind.
Hospicio Street, 35. One of the main streets of the city. Only two blocks away from the Parrish.
Key sites/activities in the area
Art workshops, Tours around San Miguel de Allende, Cooking classes, Horseback riding, ATVS and Biking, Hot Springs, Vist to Vineyards.
• Number of suites: 23
• Number of Luxury rooms: 14
• Number of rooms, (keys) in all: 37
Restaurants & Bars
• Andanza, Mexican contemporary cuisine- Executive Chef, Jonathan Santiago
• Restaurante del Parque, traditional flavors of Mexico.
• Blue Bar, with an extensive selection of wines and spirits, and a exquisitely inviting ambience, this San Miguel Bar is the perfect spot to unwind.
• Laja Spa, we promote natural healing through our range of holistic beauty therapies. Step inside our airy, colonial-style treatment rooms for pampering that will leave you relaxed and radiant.
• Fitness studio
• Swimming pool located in Casa Palma
Corporate & Celebration Events
• Meeting room up to 50 people
• Jardin del Parque, weddings reception up to 150 guests
Extra Notable Features
• Art workshops led by our own resident artist, José Luis Arias
• Cooking classes at Sazón, Cookery School
• Sunset Experience – wine tasting and tapas at sunset atop, to enjoy the impressive vistas of the city
• Diverse of activities to discover San Miguel de Allende
• Private wellness classes such as Yoga and meditation
Number of employees