Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise Canada
Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise
111 Lake Louise Drive, Lake Louise, Alberta, T0L 1E0
Fairmont Hotels & Resorts
Date of Creation
1890 – first chalet; 1912 – Paynter Wing (exists today)
Hotel General Manager
Gregor Resch – beginning his career with the Fairmont brand in 1997, Gregor has had extensive experience at managing hotels and the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise is the 5th Fairmont property that he has worked for.
4 Star Hotel
Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise strives to be the premier luxury destination for outdoor adventurists and those seeking health and wellness in one of the most beautiful locations in the world.
FAIRMONT CHATEAU LAKE LOUISE
History & Story
The original Lake Louise Chalet was built on the shores of Lake Louise in 1890, 8 years after Tom Wilson (surveyor for Canadian Pacific Railway) first set eyes on our emerald lake. Van Horne (GM of the CPR) envisioned a ‘hotel for the outdoor adventurer and alpinist’. During the Spring of 1893, a second Chalet was constructed after the first one burnt down. The hotel then went through two further fires and four architects. The main building you see today (Paynter Wing, including the Victoria Ballroom) dates back to 1912. Lake Louise is renowned as the birthplace of Canadian mountaineering – between 1899 and 1954 generations of these Swiss mountaineers taught thousands of visitors and locals to climb and later to ski.
Since 2013 Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise has renovated guest rooms, the front lobby, public spaces and restaurants.
Date added extensions
1925 – Barott Wing; 1988 – Glacier Wing & New Lobby; 2004 – Mount Temple Wing
Main Strengths, Special Touch
– Fantastic views of Lake Louise
– Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise mountain heritage guide program (guided hikes, interpretative tours all year round)
– Plenty of outdoor activities – sleigh rides, ice skating, snow shoeing (all winter only) camp fires, guided hikes and canoeing (Summer only).
– Dramatic location right on the lakeshore of Lake Louise.
– Approximately 5 minutes’ drive to the village of Lake Louise where there is a liquor store, grocery store, bakery, sandwich shop and tourist information center.
– 45 minutes West of Banff; 2 hours North West of Calgary International Airport.
– 10-15 minutes’ drive to the ski area via free hotel shuttle bus.
Key sites/activities in the area
In addition to Lake Louise there are also a number of other lakes in the surrounding area including Moraine Lake (not open in winter), Emerald Lake and Peyto Lake. Throughout the summer there are is a large and diverse number of hiking trails in the immediate area, including the Lake Agnes and Plain of Six Glaciers Teahouses and, if you are feeling up to it, the summit of Mount Fairview. Mount Temple is another very well-known peak and is actually the highest in the Lake Louise area. In the winter the closed road to Moraine Lake is quite often used for snowshoeing. In summer months travel the Icefields Parkway to the Columbia Icefields and Glacier Skywalk activity.
– Lake Louise is Canada’s highest community at 1540m (5033ft) above sea level
– Lake Louise is named after Princess Louise Caroline Alberta, the fourth daughter of Queen Victoria.
– Average annual snowfall – 5.08 meters (about 30 feet)
– The colour of Lake Louise is due to tiny mineral deposits of glacial silt or rock flower, carried down from the Lower Victoria Glacier.
Throughout the year there is a wide range of programs through our Resort Activities’ Kids Camp. These include:
Summer: Campout, Pajama Party, Into the Wild, Campfire & Games, Photo Scavenger Hunt, Art in the Mountains, Horses and Ponies, Play Time/Video Games, Outdoor Fun & Games, Children’s Nature Stroll, Evening Campfire, Movie Night, Trivia & Bingo Night.
Winter: Cookie Decorating, Campfire & Games, Pajama Party, Photo Scavenger Hunt, Kid’s Craft Time, Art in the Mountains, Play Time/Video Games, Frosted Fun, Evening Campfire & Movie Night.
Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise features a wide variety of accommodation options, ranging from the standard Fairmont room category to the ultimate luxury suites fit for Royalty. Experience Fairmont Gold, a ‘hotel within a hotel’, featuring private check-in, private concierge, private lounge, daily complimentary breakfast and evening canapés.
• Number of suites:
6 Signature Suites (5 of these are on Fairmont Gold)
51 Junior Suites (15 of these are on Fairmont Gold)
29 One Bedroom Suites (3 of these are on Fairmont Gold)
9 Two Bedroom Suites
•Number of Luxury rooms:
139 Deluxe Rooms
• Number of rooms, (keys) in all:
Total Number of Rooms – 552
Restaurants & Bars
• Lago Italian Kitchen – authentic Italian, open concept kitchen. Open in Summer only.
• Fairview Dining Room – Four Diamond dining room featuring the best in Canadian Cuisine.
• Walliser Stube – Classic cheese Swiss fondue restaurant (well known for the Chateaubriand), floor to ceiling wine library.
• Poppy Brasserie – Breakfast, seasonal lunch/dinner, mix of familiar favourites and new taste sensations
• Lakeview Lounge – Enjoy appetizers, light meals, martinis or cocktails while taking in the postcard perfect views of Lake Louise.
• Alpine Social – Our newest venue. Hearty comfort food – artisan, locally grown, alpine-inspired.
• Chateau Deli – Sandwiches, soup, salads, and sweet treats, to go or stay. 24 hours
• In Room Dining – 24 hours
• Fairmont Spa – 8 treatment rooms. Authentically local treatments – Mountain Hot Stone Massage, Lake Louise Soothing Lavender Dream and Hiker’s Foot Therapy.
• Fitness Centre & Pool – Swimming pool heated to 30 degrees C, Hot tub and Steam Room. Free weights as well as a selection of fitness machines.
Corporate & Celebration Events
• Meeting facilities at The Chateau include 36,000 square feet of flexible, inspiring event space featuring our Mount Temple Wing which has been designed to accommodate the technology needs of modern business, while paying tribute to the rich heritage and protected wildlife of magnificent Banff National Park.
• Enveloped by soaring mountain peaks, the majestic Victoria Glacier and a glistening emerald lake, the natural beauty of this destination permeates every nook of the historic Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise resort. Repeatedly named on the prestigious Conde Nast Traveler “Gold List” for hospitality excellence, The Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise is committed to making your marriage proposal or wedding celebration perfect in every way. Our in-house catering team will help design the ultimate custom wedding experience.
Extra Notable Features
Just 10 minutes away via complimentary Fairmont shuttle, spectacular scenery awaits at the Lake Louise Ski Resort with uniquely beautiful terrain that is both vast and varied. With over 4200 skiable acres, Lake Louise has one of the largest ski areas in North America. The unique layout allows families and groups of varying abilities to ski together with beginner, intermediate and expert runs down from every chair. Beginners and intermediate skiers have access to an abundance of gentle slopes and long cruising runs. Experts can explore endless chutes, glades, gullies and remote bowls in some of the Rockies’ most challenging terrain.
Hotel and restaurant Awards
• Green Key Eco Rating: 5 Green Keys – Hotel Association of Canada
• Green Eco Meeting Program: 4 Green Keys – Hotel Association of Canada
• Green Leaders Rating: Silver member – TripAdvisor
• Best Honeymoons: The Top 10 Resorts in the Mainland U.S. & Canada – Brides Magazine
• Best Resort Hotels in Canada – Travel & Leisure
• Gold List – Condé Nast Traveler
• Readers Choice Awards – Condé Nast Traveler (2015)
• T&L 500 The World’s Best Hotels – Travel and Leisure (2015)
• Gold List – Condé Nast Traveler (2014)
• Top 10 resort in Canada (#2 in Alberta) – Travel & Leisure (2014)
• World’s Best Awards – Best Hotel in Region – US News & World Report (2014)
Number of employees