Montage Laguna Beach,
Montage Laguna Beach
30801 Coast Highway , Laguna Beach,
Date of Creation
February 22, 2003
Hotel General Manager
Rick Riess, Managing Director
Rick Riess, managing director of Montage Laguna Beach, oversees all operations for the 248-room resort. A veteran hospitality executive with more than 35 years of experience, he joined Montage from Sea Island, where he was managing director. Previously, Mr. Riess was president and CEO of Plumpjack Group, where he oversaw resorts, wineries, restaurants, retail and real estate development; chief operating officer and founding partner of Auberge Resorts; and regional vice president for Grand Bay Hotels and Resorts’ Western Division. He began his career at Hyatt Hotels Corporation, where he spent 18 years in management positions.
5-star Luxury Brand: Preferred Hotels & Resorts Legend
To create an artistic collection of distinctive luxury hotels, resorts and residences in stunning settings that offer comfortable elegance, a unique sense of place, impeccable hospitality and inspired memorable culinary, spa and lifestyle experiences.
MONTAGE LAGUNA BEACH
History & Story
The site of Montage Laguna Beach boasts a colorful history, complete with a pirate, buried treasure, a potential railroad, Hollywood movies, celebrities, and trailers.
In 1818, legend says that French pirate Hippolyte Bouchard moored offshore and buried gold and jewels on our shore for safekeeping and never returned. In 1878, the Goff bothers, Franklin, Hubbard, Henry, and Leon settled in Aliso Canyon; Franklin homesteaded what is now Lagunita, Blue Lagoon, Aliso Canyon to Camel Point, and Montage Laguna Beach, and was given A U.S. Government Grant in 1883. That same year, it was rumored that the Santa Fe Railroad planned to obtain an easement along the Laguna coast for the purpose of extending their tracks from Santa Ana to San Diego. A New York financial firm purchased our site from Franklin for $25,000 in order to build a modern hotel, depot, and wharf here. In the interim, however, the Irvine Ranch trustees deeded right-of-way inland to the railroad, thus eliminating any chance of the railroad passing through Laguna. The area became a popular campground known as Goff Island Trailer Camp. In 1939, the first trailerites settled here and the area was renamed Treasure Island Trailer Park after the movie of the same name which was filmed here. In 1954, a portion of the movie “The Long, Long Trailer,” starring Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, was filmed at Treasure Island. The Treasure Island Trailer Park and beaches were a private, gated enclave for over 60 years until Montage opened on February 22, 2003.
Main Strengths, Special Touch
Only luxury resort in Orange County with 100% ocean view rooms. Beach in walking distance, artistic community, fine dining.
Laguna Beach, Newport Beach, Dana Point, Irvine,
Key sites/activities in the area
Pageant of the Masters Festival, Sawdust Festival,Art-A-Fair Festival, Catalina Island, Disneyland, Hiking, Bike Riding, Surfing, Golfing, Whale Watching, Snorkeling, Kayaking.
In 1954, a portion of the movie “The Long, Long Trailer,” starring Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, was filmed at Treasure Island.
Popular MTV Show “ Laguna Beach” was filmed here and “OC” TV Show was filmed in the Laguna Beach and the area. Laguna Beach is the home of Pageants of the Master and Sawdust Festival.
Guests 5-12 years of age will love the blend of adventure and creativity they’ll experience in Paintbox, our activities-based children’s program. Children will enjoy thematically planned days that tie together arts and crafts, games and creative activities both indoors and out at the pool, beach, tide pool and events lawns. Paintbox activities are offered each day of the week in half-day and full-day sessions.
For hourly care of little ones, Paintbox Petite is available for the 2-5-year-old children of our in-house guests as well as visiting area residents.
Number of suites: 60
• (1) Two Bedroom Catalina Suite ( Presidential Suite)
The Catalina is a 2,800-square-foot beachside palace with a Craftsman-style two-sided fireplace, a dining table that seats eight, kitchen, dressing area with a dry vanity, his and her bathrooms with intricate marble flooring, a deep-soak tub and separate showers. Keeping the Pacific views at the forefront of every gathering, the expansive parlor offers floor-to-ceiling glass doors that open onto a 700 square-foot balcony that spans the entire length of the suite.
• (1) Two Bedroom Founders Suite
Founders Suite is 2,700 square-feet quietly located towards the south end of the resort; this spacious two bedroom Laguna Beach suite offers dramatic, unobstructed views of the Pacific. It features a large, light-filled living room and adjoining kitchen. Complete with a parlor, dining area and very large patio, this suite provides multiple gathering places, allowing everyone to enjoy the ultimate relaxing vacation at our ocean side retreat.
• (1) One Bedroom Sunset
Aptly named, this spacious suite dazzles guests each night with expansive sunset views. The Sunset Suite offers more than 1,400 square feet of enjoyable space and includes a parlor, fireplace dining area and a very large patio. A perfect haven for families, the suite at our resort in Laguna Beach can be connected to more rooms to create a three-bedroom retreat that sleeps eight.
• (4) One Bedroom Aliso Suites Tucked away and tranquil, Aliso Suites are the ideal choice for those who seek a quiet and comfortable home-away-from-home at our Orange County hotel. Very spacious at 1,200 square feet, these suites offer wonderful possibilities for entertaining with a large living room and dining area. Each bedroom includes a large walk-in closet and parlor. The suite connects to a 2nd bedroom.
Bungalow Suites: Secluded and closest to the ocean, these beach bungalow-style suites present a special way to enjoy the breathtaking panoramas of Aliso Beach. With the ambiance of a private beach house, each Laguna Beach bungalow suite has a fireplace in the living area, separated from the bedroom by double French doors. One Bedroom Suites are 1,000 square feet and the connecting rooms are 500 square feet with 2 queen beds each. Multiple suites/rooms may be joined allowing up to a four-room configuration, perfect for large families or special reunions.
• Ocean Surf View Suites: Our most popular choice in suites, premier Ocean Surf Suites offer guests quiet locations with dramatic, unobstructed views of Aliso or Victoria Beach, as well as the best views of our Orange County resort. At 900-1,000 square feet, these suites provide separate living and bedroom areas, a pull-out sofa bed, walk-in closets, dual vanities and oversized marble bathrooms with a deep soak tub. The suites connect to 2nd bedroom with1 king bed or 2 queen beds.
• Ocean Coastal View Suites: These one-bedroom suites offer spectacular views of the tidal pools and the waves splashing the coves, with separate living and bedroom areas. At 900-1,000 square feet, these suites provide a pull-out sofa bed, walk-in closets, dual vanities and oversized marble bathrooms with a deep soak tub. The suites connect to 2nd bedroom with1 king bed or 2 queen beds.
• Ocean Horizon View Suites: These one-bedroom suites offer lush garden/partial ocean views with separate living and bedroom areas. With 900-1,000 square feet of space, these suites at our resort in Laguna Beach provide a pull-out sofa bed, walk-in closets, dual vanities and oversized marble bathrooms with a deep soak tub.The suites connect to 2nd bedroom with 2 queen beds.
Number of Luxury rooms: 190
• Ocean Surf King /Ocean Surf Queen Queen:These rooms are 500 square feet and offer premier, expansive views of the ocean waves splashing into the shoreline and beaches below, our ocean surf king or queen/queen rooms are our most popular at our Laguna Beach hotel. Located on the upper floors of the resort, you’ll enjoy panoramic views of Aliso or Victoria Beach.
• Ocean Coastal King /Ocean Coastal Queen Queen:These rooms are 500 square feet offering spectacular views of tidal pools and waves splashing the coves, these king or queen/queen ocean coastal guestrooms showcase the natural beauty of the Laguna coast.
• Ocean Horizon King /Ocean Horizon Queen Queen:From your private balcony or patio of these accommodations, you’ll enjoy lush garden views and partial views of the ocean as it touches the horizon. These rooms are also 500 square feet.
Number of rooms, (keys) in all: 250
Restaurants & Bars
• Studio Restaurant:
The cuisine of Studio is Modern French with California influences.Chef Craig Strong draws inspiration from a breadth of cultures to create succulent dishes that pay homage to the bountiful fruits and vegetables of our region. Because of his strong relationships with local organic farmers, Chef Strong has exceptional access to the finest seasonal and artisanal products, making them the star attractions of his ever-changing menus.
• The Loft Restaurant:
The Loft, a favorite of guests and locals alike, is the resort’s comfortable all-day dining restaurant. Situated on the fourth floor, this popular Orange County restaurant features stunning panoramic views – the perfect backdrop for enjoying creative American cuisine.As Chef de Cuisine for The Loft, Michael Campbell leads a winning team of chefs, sommeliers, servers and fromagiers. He brings an excellent eye for the culinary arts and an unrelenting commitment to the integrity and seasonality of every ingredient.
• Mosaic Bar & Grille:
While soaking in the sun, guests can enjoy poolside dining at Mosaic Bar and Grille. Located near the Mosaic Pool, the restaurant offers California-inspired beach fare with choices of salads, grilled sandwiches or fresh daily seafood.
• Lobby Loung:
As the resort’s centerpiece, the Lobby Lounge is a comfortable setting complete with panoramic views of the Pacific Ocean with Craftsman-inspired decor featuring rich hues and plush wood furnishings. Indoor and outdoor seating allow guests to sit back, relax and soak in the true California beach experience. This Laguna Beach lounge offers specialty cocktails and beers, wine by the glass and magical live entertainment by David Allen Baker and Steve Siu.
• 20,000 square foot spa: Eucalyptus steam rooms, dry redwood saunas, ocean air whirlpools, fireplace lounges, state of the art fitness center, movement studio and lap pool featuring stunning views of the Pacific.
• Life Fitness strength training and free weight area
• Kim Vo hair salon
• Complimentary morning Thalassic Beach Walk
Corporate & Celebration Events
• Grand Ballroom 7,500 square feet and accommodate Theatre/Reception style up to 800 guests, it can do 500 guests with round tables that can sit 10 guests each. The Grand Ballroom can be broken down into Grand I, Grand II and Grand III each 2,500 square feet.
• Gallery Ballroom 3,200 square feet and can accommodate Theatre/Reception style up to 400 guests, it can do 240 guests with round tables that can sit 10 guests each. The Gallery Ballroom can be broken down into Gallery I and Gallery II each 1,600 square feet.
• Outdoor Meeting Space will be our Pacific Lawn, Ocean Lawn, Seaview Lawn that offer 4,500-5,300 square feet each.
Extra Notable Features
• Strum Seaside:
Montage Laguna Beach’s Coastal Chords program in partnership with Taylor Guitars provides music-loving guests with the opportunity to play Taylor Koa GS Mini guitars throughout the duration of their stay.Join us this summer for Coastal Chords Sunsets where guests can play alongside or simply enjoy the acoustic sounds of professional musicians against the setting sun. Complimentary water with other beverages for purchase will be available. Performance dates, times and locations may vary.
Hotel and restaurant Awards
• Forbes Travel Guide Five Star Rating
• AAA Five Diamond Award
• Condé Nast Traveler Readers’ Choice Award “Top 100 Hotels & Resorts in the World”
• Wine Spectator Grand Award
2015 – 2014
• Forbes Travel Guide Five Star Rating
• US News & World Report “Best Hotels in the USA”
• Condé Nast Traveler “The World’s Best Places to Stay: Gold List”
• AAA Five Diamond Award
Number of employees