One&Only Palmilla Mexico
Carr Transpeninsular Kilometro,
23400 San Jose Del Cabo,
Kerzner International Limited
Kerzner International & ICD (Investment Cooperation of Dubai)
Date of Creation
Hotel General Manager
Mr. Robert Logan
Jean-Gabriel joins us at a very opportune moment in our journey as we embark on an accelerated growth and expansion plan to take Kerzner to new places around the world, from Mexico and beyond
History & Story
Commanding the premier locale in all of Baja California, One&Only Palmilla is situated on land that enjoys a rich and storied history dating back millions of years, when volcanic movement and earthquakes split a 1,100-mile-long finger of land off mainland Mexico. Los Cabos (Spanish for ”The Capes”) survived merchants, explorers and pirates to later welcome celebrated authors and biologists intrigued by the rich marine life in the Sea of Cortez.
The resort itself was built in 1956 as a 15-room luxury hideaway by Don Abelardo Rodriguez, son of the President of Mexico. Accessible only by yacht or private plane, its earliest guests included Hollywood celebrities like John Wayne, Lucille Ball, the former United States President Dwight D. Eisenhower is also among the past guests; all attracted by the privacy of the resort as well as the region’s deep-sea fishing.
Following the construction of the Transpeninsular Highway in 1970, the resort became increasingly popular and grew to 50 rooms by 1984. In 1991, the Palmilla Golf Club opened, and in 1996, the property was again expanded to 115 rooms. The glamorous flavour and ambience of the original resort were carefully preserved in One&Only Palmilla, which opened in February 2004 following a $90 million refurbishment.
Further to a hurricane, the resort re-opened, completely renew, in April 2015 revise to “The resort underwent full renovations and re-opened in April 2015 with a completely new design.
Date added extensions
Villa One-December 2015.
Main Strengths, Special Touch
• Pelican Beach, one of the few swimmable beaches in the area
• All ocean front rooms and suites
• 24-hour butler service
Set amongst the stunning natural geography of the Baja Peninsula alongside the Sea of Cortez, One&Only Palmilla affords extraordinary views of the Los Cabos landscape and beachfront access to one of the few swimmable beaches in the entire region.
Key sites/activities in the area
Golf, yachting, deep-sea fishing, whales watching, sport fishing, windsurfing, snorkelling, diving, kayaking, and surfing, Hummer Safari, hot air ballooning, sand dunes by ATV.
• We light more than 1200 candles and fire pits around the property every night; two people from the Maintenance Team are responsible for this task which starts every day before sunset and takes about an hour or two to light all of them.
• We have a fabulous Celebrations Specialists that makes sure to WOW our guest come to celebrate a special occasion.
• All the pastries and bread are in made in house by our Pastry Department and Executive Pastry Chef Steve Lindsay.
Complimentary KidsOnly Club : from 4 to 12 years old.
Teens: from 12 to 16 years old.
Babysitting available at charge.
• Number of standard rooms: 61: Ocean Front Room (15), Ocean Front Premier Room (30), Ocean Front Palmilla Junior Suite (16)
• Number of suites: 91: Ocean View Terrace Junior Suites (12), Ocean Front Junior Suite (59), Ocean Front Junior Suite with Plunge Pool (7), Ocean Front Pool Casita Junior Suite (13)
• Number of One-Bedroom Luxury rooms: 20: Ocean Front One Bedroom Suite (3), Ocean Front One Bedroom Premier Suite (2), Ocean Front One-Bedroom Grand Suite (11), Ocean Front One-Bedroom Grand Suite with Plunge Pool (1), Ocean Front One-Bedroom Pool Casita Suite (2), Ocean Front One-Bedroom One&Only Pool Casita Suite (1)
• Number of Villas: 2: Villa One (1) & Villa Cortez (1); both are 4-bedrooms
• Number of rooms (keys) in all: 174
Restaurants & Bars
• Seared by Chef Jean-Georges Vongerichten
• Agua by Larbi Dahrouch
Season driven authentic Mexican food.
Breakfast, salad, organic Mexican food.
• Suviche by Chef Jean-Georges and Chef Yoshiaki Akaike
Ceviches and sushi.
• Pelican Beach Grill
Casual lunches, cervezas, coconut water.
• Agua Bar
By the pool, Mexican food, tropical beverages.
• One&Only Lounge
Live music, low-slung couches, cocktails.
Meal plans available for purchase: Full – breakfast, lunch & dinner; Modified – breakfast & dinner
• Spa with 13 private Villas
• Fitness Center with Technogym, Yoga garden
• OBO Salon by Jonathan and George
• Pedi:Mani:Cure by Bastien Gonzalez
• Barber and Blade
• 2 Infinity edge pools : 1 family friendly (Agua Pool) and 1 adult only (Vista Pool)
• Swimmable beach with complimentary non-motorized water sports (kayak, snorkel, stand up paddle board)
Corporate & Celebration Events
• Wedding planner
• Bahia Ballroom: 267sqm, 200 guests
• Peninsula Boardroom: 28sqm
Extra Notable Features
• Golf: 27-hole Jack Nicklaus designed golf course
• One&Only yacht
• Whale watching
• Complimentary wellness programs (daily yoga and fitness program; ongoing wellness and yoga retreats)
• Herb garden for private dinners and cooking lessons
• Own historical chapel
Hotel and restaurant Awards
• ULTRA Awards (US): Best Hotel in Mexico
• ULTRA Awards (US): Best Spa
• Social Hotel Awards, Hotels Magazine (US): Best Use of Digital Video
• Jetsetter Best Of The Best Awards: awarded Best for Romance award
• Condé Nast Traveler’s Reader’s Choice Awards: ranked#6 in Best Resorts in Mexico (Pacific Coast)
• Andrew Harper’s 2015 Reader’s Choice Awards: listed 14th under the Top 20 Top Beach Resorts category
• Travel+Leisure (US): ranked #1 World’s Best in Mexico
• Travel+Leisure (US): ranked #17 in Top 100 Hotels
• Jetsetter.com (US): named Best for Romance
• TripAdvisor: granted the Certificate of Excellence Hall of Fame after receiving the Certificate of Excellence for 5 years in a row
• Condé Nast Traveler (US): named in the Gold List 2015
• Travel+Leisure: ranked #3 in the ‘World’s Most Romantic Hotels’ category
• U.S. News & World Report Best Hotels of 2015: ranked #2 in the Best Hotels in Baja category
• U.S. News & World Report Best Hotels of 2015: ranked #8 in the Best Mexico Hotels category
• U.S. News & World Report Best Hotels of 2015: earned the Gold Badge Winner as Best Hotels in Mexico award
• Orbitz Worldwide 2015: won the Best In Stay Elite Award
• AAA Five Diamond Award: the most coveted designation within North America’s hospitality industry
• Travel + Leisure, 100 World’s Best Hotels: Voted #35 in Best Resort in the World
• Condé Nast Traveler, Platinum Circle: made the list every year for the past 5 years running
• Condé Nast Traveler, The Gold List: 97.2 Readers’ Choice Rating in Best Hotels in Mexico
• Travel + Leisure, T+L 500: 92.25 Readers’ Choice Rating in Best Hotels in Mexico2014
• Condé Nast Traveler’s Reader’s Choice awards (US): overall Top 100 Hotels & Resorts in the World One&Only Palmilla (#22)
• Condé Nast Traveler’s Reader’s Choice awards (US): #1 of Top 10 Resorts in Baja
• Expedia Insiders Select 2013: One&Only Palmilla Resort #1
• Condé Nast Traveler, Top 270 Spas: Awarded #8 in Top 25 Spas in Mexico and Central America
• Condé Nast Traveler, January 2013: The Gold List – One of the top hotel/resorts in the Americas region: Mexico with a rating of 96.3
• Travel + Leisure, January 2013: T+L 500 World’s Best Hotels – One of the Top Resorts in the Mexico category: in the Los Cabos region with a rating of 91.14
Number of employees