Sonora Resort Canada
4580 Cowley Crescent Richmond, V7B 18B, British Columbia
Date of Creation
Hotel General Manager
Kait Ross, General Manager.
5-star luxury Relais & Châteaux property in B.C.’s pristine wilderness.
History & Story
Sonora has a reputation for excellence, deeply rooted in the unique character of our pristine property and in the charm of our world class team. Sonora was established in the early 1980’s before being purchased by H.Y Louie in 2002. In 2009 we joined Relais and Châteaux where our culture of service, stewardship and family values thrives.
In 2008, Scientific Architecture designed 8 new lodges for luxury accommodation, Island Currents Spa, Innes Conference Centre and expansion of the main lodge.
Main Strengths, Special Touch
Guests experience the getaway of a lifetime at Sonora Resort, where uncompromising eco-adventure meets luxurious accommodations, unparalleled service and 5-star facilities.
Sonora Resort is located in British Columbia, Canada within the Discovery Islands in the Great Bear Rainforest at the mouth of Bute Inlet.
Key sites/activities in the area
Enjoy breathtaking ocean and rainforest views, exceptional West Coast cuisine, luxurious spa treatments and guided adventure tours in an ancient rainforest archipelago filled with eagles, whales, bears and more.
Sonora is just a short, 50-minute flight from Vancouver or 1 hour and 15-minute boat cruise from Campbell River.
We have age appropriate activities and a children’s playground for little ones to enjoy.
• 10 multi-room suites that have a common area and fireplace to settle into and enjoy the ocean view.
• 9/10 luxury suites are located in 2 private villas which are nestled in their own private locations. Each has a great room, wrap around deck, mini grand piano, multiple hot tubs and are filled with sumptuous luxury.
• 78 guest rooms in 12 themed B.C. lodges offer spacious rooms with incredibly comfortable Queen or King sized beds, luxurious linens, goose down duvets and L’Occitane amenities.
88 rooms in total
Restaurants & Bars
• Tyee Dining Room is a sumptuous sensory experience. With its position, facing the sea, a wilderness panorama frames every moment. On the plate is a feast for the eyes and palate. Accommodation rates include all gourmet meals, liquor and wine, beer, juice and soft drinks.
• Executive Chef Justine Smith’s focus and philosophies in the kitchen are centered around using the whole product, showcasing natural flavors and taking advantage of all the wonderfully diverse ingredients to be found on the beautiful West Coast of British Columbia.
• Sonora’s wine cellar has something spectacular for every occasion. Our Sommelier’s prestigious selection is sure to delight.
Island Currents Spa
Experience renewal and rejuvenation admidst the raw, natural beauty of the Discovery Islands and restore yourself with a self guided circuit of steam, Swiss shower and mineral pools. We have 31 hot tubs on property, a guest fitness facility and Hatha yoga classes. We’re proud to offer scientifically advanced skincare treatments and products from luxury brand Valmont of Switzerland.
Corporate & Celebration Events
Sonora Resort is the ideal venue for festive gatherings, special event and corporate meetings. Whether your group is small or your conference large, it can provide the perfect mix of world-class business facilities and outdoor adventure for your corporate retreat.
The Innes Conference Center has 9 flexible meeting spaces that are equipped with screens and projectors, five internet-ready workstation, and a wrap around patio. The top floor of our 2,500-square-foot cedar Longhouse is perfect for keynotes and presentations and the Sonora pavilion, spanning 7,200 sq. ft., can be used for large conferences, wine tastings, social events and galas.
Extra Notable Features
Outdoor amenities are a backyard paradise. Guests can enjoy a large swimming pool with an unabstructed view of the ocean, 2 fly fishing ponds, Florence Lake water sports, 9 hole putting green, hiking and biking trails for all levels and a cozy outdoor fire area.
Indoor amenities set the stage for a limitless playground. Relax and enjoy our indoor tennis court, 12-seat movie theatre, games room, fitness facility, virtual golf simulators and stunning conservatory.
Hotel and restaurant Awards
2019 – Conde Nast Johansens Award Finalist
2019 – Wine Spectator Award of Excellence.
2019 – Bronze, Vancouver Island and Coastal Islands 2019 Vancouver International Wine Festival for Wine Program Excellence.
2019 – Trip Advisor Travellers’ Choice Awards.
2018 – #4 Top Resort in Canada, Conde Nast Traveler Reader’s Choice Awards.
2016 – Conde Nast Traveller UK Gold List
Number of employees