604 Brazos Street
Austin, TX 78701-3212
Hyatt Hotels & Resorts
Hyatt Hotel Corporation
Date of Creation
Hotel General Manager
A 15-year Hyatt veteran, having worked at 8 different properties, Mason serves on the board of directors for Preservation Austin, an institution founded in 1953 to protect the diverse architectural and cultural heritage of the greater Austin community.
Luxury Historic Boutique Downtown Hotel
History & Story
Built in 1886 by Cattle Baron Colonel Jesse Driskill as a showcase of legendary Texas hospitality, The Driskill has since stood as an important social hub and iconic piece of Texas history.
Restored to its original opulence, The Driskill sets the standard for elegance in Austin. The grand foyer boasts beautiful stained glass and original inlaid marble floors. Oil paintings depicting politicians and socialites hang against the walls, lit by glow from nearby sconces. Ornate armchairs peek out from dark corners, and brocaded chairs pull up to dark wood tables and desks displaying antique telephones. A grand staircase leads toward the upper lobby and bar area, and branches off up to the mezzanine.
This nostalgic Austin gem is located in the heart of the famed Sixth Street Entertainment District. Supporting Austin’s title as the Live Music Capital of the World, The Driskill offers the sounds of local musicians six nights each week.
2014: 1886 Cafe & Bakery will reopen, highlighting our house made hearty breads, delicate croissants, and decadent desserts. Spring 2015: hotel will have completed a full soft surface room refresh.
Date added extensions
1886: The grand opening of The Driskill.
1930: Expansion of the hotel fully completed with added guestrooms and meeting space.
Main Strengths, Special Touch
With rich history, elegant amenities, and unparalleled service, The Driskill offers a unique experience of true Texas hospitality. The hotel’s food, locally sourced from Texas farms, is thoughtfully crafted, serving up a range of dishes from decadently indulgent traditional Southern fare to fresh and healthy New American cuisine.
The Driskill is located just steps from over 200 live music venues in the heart of Downtown Austin’s Sixth Street Entertainment District. The hotel is truly the epicenter of the city and is walking distance to cultural landmarks as well as a multitude of dining options and local artisanal shops.
Key sites/activities in the area
• Over 200 music venues such as Austin Music Hall, La Zona Rosa, Elephant Room, Long Center for Preforming arts, and Continental Club
• Lady Bird Lake, Hike and Bike Trail, and the Congress Bridge Bat Colony
• Texas Capitol, LBJ Presidential Library, Bob Bullock Museum, and the Paramount Theatre
• In 1934 President Lyndon Baines Johnson met his future wife, Lady Bird, for their first date in The Driskill dining room for breakfast at a small table in the back of the room, now known as the most romantic table in Austin. Later that day, he proposed and they were married shortly thereafter!
The Driskill’s guestrooms are appointed with a blend of Historic elegance and contemporary « Austin Edge » with warm, comfortable earth tones and custom modern furnishings to offer a complete Texas lodging experience. Each upscale guestroom is appointed with luxurious bedding, unique artwork, flat screen plasma televisions, complimentary wireless internet, ceiling fans, imported personal care amenities, and plush terry and linen.
• 189 unique guestrooms:
• Vintage (king, queen, or two queens) located throughout the hotel
• Cityscape (king or queen) located in the Historic Tower boasting city views of downtown
• Senate (king) oversized rooms with a comfortable seating area
• Historic Balcony (king) oversized room with a balcony overlooking Sixth Street
• Victorian Junior Suite (king or queen) oversized room with with a comfortable seating area and tall ceilings
• Bridal Suites: Yellow Rose Bridal, Renaissance Bridal, Heritage Bridal, & Primrose Bridal (king) significantly oversized rooms featuring romantic touches
• Executive Suites: The Brazos & The Govenors (king) living/dining room with separate bedroom and an oversized balcony
• Presidential Suites: The Lyndon Baines Johnson & The Cattle Baron Presidential Suites
Restaurants & Bars
• The Driskill Grill
Featuring locally farmed produce, our chef creates a new and adventurous menu daily. Renowned as the most romantic restaurant in Austin, The Driskill Grill is fine dining at its best.
• 1886 Café & Bakery
Our in-house bakery features hand made pasteries and hearty fresh baked breads that play the perfect compliment to our casual fare. Enjoy a wide assortment of healthy selections or let yourself indulge in decadent desserts.
• The Driskill Bar
Enjoy craft cocktails in the iconic Driskill Bar while listening to live music from local Austin musicians.
• The Driskill offers a wide selection of massage services performed by registered, in-house massage therapists. The massage services include traditional Swedish massage, as well as sports massage, deep-tissue massage and barefoot Shiatsu massage. Please contact the concierge to schedule an appointment.
• The 24-hour Driskill Fitness Studio offers equipment that rivals premier fitness centers and allows guests to continue their normal exercise routines uninterrupted while at The Driskill. The cardiovascular machinery includes treadmills, elliptical trainers, recumbent bicycles and stair-steppers. The studio also contains two private steam rooms, showers, and dressing rooms.
Corporate & Celebration Events
The Driskill is the perfect place to host conventions, executive meetings, corporate retreats or special milestone celebrations. The Driskill’s meeting facilities are ideally situated to fulfill any business or event needs with more than 1,700 square meters of meeting space.
With the hotel’s rich history, every room tells a story. Each function room at The Driskill lends privacy and class to your event or meeting, and the experienced staff is poised to assist with state-of-the-art, audio-visual equipment and computer capabilities.
Through restorations, The Driskill continues to pay homage to its historic roots and invites every guest and meeting planner to experience the pride of Austin.
Extra Notable Features
• The Driskill’s Pampered Pet Program: pets are provided with a custom Driskill pet bed, designer dishes and mats, souvenir pet toys and a full supply of doggie business bags. For some culinary delight, the hotels cooks up custom treats from its 1886 Café and Bakery served with bottled spring water. Pet owners are provided with Driskill logo leashes and even given a map of Austin with designated pet-friendly areas.
Hotel & Restaurants Awards
The Driskill Hotel
• Travel + Leisure – 500 World’s Best Hotels | 2014
• AAA Four-Diamond Award – Hotels | 2014 (Since 2000)
The Driskill Bar & Grill
• AAA Four-Diamond Award, Restaurants| 2014 (Since 2002)
• OpenTable – Diner’s Choice Award | 2014 (Since 2012)
• Zagat – Top 5 Most Romantic Restaurants | 2014
• Esquire TV – Best Bars in the US | 2014
2013 – 2012
The Driskill Hotel
• Private Clubs – THE LIST | 2013
• US News & World Report – Top 10 Hotels in Texas | 2013
• Condé Nast Traveler – Top 25 Hotels in the Southwest | 2012
• The Knot – Best of Weddings | 2013
The Grill, The Bar, and 1886 Cafe & Bakery
• Wine Spectator – “Best of” Winner | 2013, 2012
• Food & Wine Magazine – Best Hotel Bars | 2012
• TripAdvisor – Certificate of Excellence | 2013
Number of employees