The Jefferson, Washington, DC USA
The Jefferson, Washington, DC
1200 16th Street, NW, Washington, DC 20036,
Date of Creation
Hotel General Manager
David Bueno joined The Jefferson in 2011 as Director of Food & Beverage and became General Manager in April 2017.
The Jefferson holds a Forbes 4-Star hotel rating and a 5-Star restaurant rating, is a member of Preferred Hotels & Resorts’ Legend collection.
The Jefferson’s goal is to provide unparalleled personal service to our customers and has become the most awarded hotel in Washington. We will continue our on-going training of our staff in providing such service.
The Jefferson, Washington, DC
History & Story
The Jefferson opened in 1923 as a luxury apartment building desgined by French American architect Jules Henri de Sibour, and became a hotel in 1955. The combined creative forces of some of the world’s finest architectural, design and construction firms brought Washington, DC’s venerable and beloved hotel into the 21st century with a makeover that is both distinctly European and Washingtonian style and features an abundance of rich, historical influences of the hotel’s namesake : Thomas Jefferson. In 2009, The Jefferson re-emerged as Washington, DC’s finest small historic hotel and is the most awarded hotel in the city.
March 1, 2007 to August 31, 2009 the hotel was closed for major renovations with Forest Perkins as the lead design an architect to restore this beautiful Beaux Arts building.
Date added extensions
In 1985, an annex was added to the hotel that features three floors of guest rooms totaling 12 rooms ; Quill Bar & Lounge, three intimate cabinet meeting rooms, restrooms, and elevators to annex guest rooms.
Main Strengths, Special Touch
The Jefferson is built on providing unparallelled personal service. Our commitment to annual rooms and engineering projects ensure guest rooms and hotel maintains its pristene condition. Our award-winning Food and Beverage program is unmatched in the city, and we are the most-awarded hotel in DC, the most consecutive years. We take delight in the details.
Just four blocks north of the White House, The Jefferson enjoys a central downtown location at the corner of 16th & M Streets, Northwest. We have easy access to Capitol Hill, Dupont Circle, Penn Quarter or Georgetown and within walking distance of our famed museums, monuments and memorials. Three area airports : Washington Reagan, Dulles International and Baltimore/Washington serve our capital city as well as the Metro providing easy access to Washington sites or visits to Maryland and Virginia or Union Station for Amtrak services.
Key sites/activities in the area
The United States Capitol and Capitol Hill, the White House, Lincoln Memorial, Washington Monument, National Air and Space Museum, National Gallery of Art, National Museum of American History, National Museum of Natural History, National Museum of African American History and Culture, Arlington National Cemetery, and Mount Vernon are the most visited sites in our nation’s capital and convenient from The Jefferson.
Easy access to the drive markets of Williamsburg and Virginia Beach, VA, Philadelphia, PA or New York.
Classic cocktails and signature drinks with house-infused liquors served at the only glass bar. The hotel was named for our third president and our 30 month restoration (March 1, 2007-August 31, 2009) embraced Thomas Jefferson’s passions and pursuits.
Our Resident Author’s program gives you a sneak peek at some of our guests whose signed copies of their book are found in our Book Room.
We provide children’ s amenities, based upon age : from bath toys, to chocolate dipped pretzels, to flavored popcorn or a special amenity selection from our little red wagon (most appropriate up to age 7).
A child’s section is also maintained in our Book Room where our younger guests may take a book to read while in house.
• Number of suites: 19 total – 14 Deluxe One Bedroom Suites, 3 Executive Suites, 2 Speciality Suites
• Deluxe Suites range from 630-690 square feet (58.5-64.1 meters) and afford city views and a choice of gold or platinum color palettes. The suite is furnished with a king bed while a separate, spacious parlor area has a pull-out sofa and a large writing desk with data and electrical connections.
• Executive Suites at 760 square feet (70 meters) are ideal for those who wish to host intimate meetings in their room. These suites offer an elegant gold palette and are furnished with a king bed, while the separate, spacious parlor area has a pull-out sofa and small dining table. The parlor also has a large writing desk with data and electrical connections easily accessible on the side panel.
• Number of Luxury rooms: 2 major luxury suites: Martha Jefferson Suite and Thomas Jefferson Suite
• Martha Jefferson Suite at 1100 square feet (102.19 meters) is located on our top floor affords city and skylight views accented by three Juliet balconies which open to allow fresh air. Tiffany-inspired blue accents the suite and the living room features a gas fireplace, an intimate dining room for up to four, and the bedroom with canopied king bed, 1.5 bathrooms.
• Thomas Jefferson Suite at 1900 square feet (579.12 meters) is also located on our top floor and overlooks the White House and Washington Monument from one of its five Juliet balconies. It has a king-size bed; 1.5 bathrooms, dining and living area, private kitchen, separate study and connects to a Deluxe King guest room and is adjacent to another Deluxe Suite.
• Number of rooms, (keys) in all: 99
Restaurants & Bars
• Greenhouse – the perfect spot for a casual meal, colorful conversation and an atmosphere unlike anywhere else in the city. Enjoy an impeccable breakfast, lunch or weekend brunch under our historic skylight. Breakfast : Monday-Friday 7 :00am-10:30am; Lunch : Monday-Friday 11 :30am-1 :00pm ; Brunch Saturday-Sunday 7 :00am-1 :45pm
• Quill – our upscale lounge and cocktail bar, we offer an inspired mix of classic and signature cocktails, a dynamic wine list and elevated bar menu. Relax and unwind on our patio or enjoy our in-house pianist Open daily for lunch, lite bites, and cocktails. Tuesday through Saturday beginning at 9:00pm. Monday-Friday : 10:00-12:00am; Lunch Saturday-Sunday 11 :00am-12:00am
• Plume – Washington ‘s only Forbes Five-Star and Michelin Star rated restaurant Executive Chef Ralf Schlegel and his team provide a memorable, unique dining experiences with a Prix Fixe or Tasting Menu with a Classic or Premium Wine Experience available Tuesday through Saturdays with seatings 5 :30pm-9 :00pm
• The Petite Spa offers an intimate, enlightening experience, with each visit custom-crafted to your desire. Fragrant botanicals, ancient spa traditions, and the latest wellness techniques, and all treatments are by appointment only. Couples massages are available, prenatal massages ; personal escort to the Spa and post-treatment includes a light refreshment served.
• Fitness Center is located on the Basement level and is available 24-hours a day with your guest room key.
• Alternative options that are complimentary : University Club (one block) or Mint (two blocks)
Corporate & Celebration Events
• National Cherry Blossom Festival – March/April
• Memorial Day Concert
• Fourth of July Program and Fireworks – A Capitol Fourth concert on the mall
• Washington Nationals – summer baseball experience
• The Whart on the Southwest Waterfront (new October 2017) – it is home to the nation’s longest continually operating open air fish market, houseboats and a vibrant riverfront community offering panoramic views, ample recreational activities and easy access to DC’s most beloved monuments and memorials
• The Washington Harbour in Georgetown with great restaurants, outdoor activities and shopping
Extra Notable Features
• Key sports town with the Washington Capitals, the Nationals, the Wizards, DC United, the Mystics and the Redskins
• Golf options include : Raspberry Farms Gold & Hunt Club (45 minutes) ; Reston National (45 minutes), University of Maryland Golf Course (30 minutes)
• Movie Theaters : Angelika Pop-Up at Union Market (independent and foreign films) 550 Penn Street, NE ; The Avalon Theatre, 5612 Connecticut Avenue, NW (opened 1923) and only non-profit movie theater in DC, E Street Cinema (Penn Quarter, 555 11th Street, NW) and West End Cinema 2301 M Street, NW
• Yoga District – U Street Corridor – 1910 14th St, NW or Epic Yoga DC at 1323 Connecticut Avenue, NW
Hotel and restaurant Awards
• Condé Nast Traveler, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015- Gold List: Favorite Hotels in the World*
• Travel + Leisure, 2017- #1 The Best Hotels in Washington, DC
• US News and World Report, 2017 – #3 Best Hotel in the U.S.
• US News and World Report, 2016 – #2 Best Hotel in the U.S.
• Michelin Guide, 2017, 2016 – Plume awarded One Star
• Forbes Travel Guide, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014 – Plume was awarded the Five-Star restaurant rating while The Jefferson was awarded a Four-Star Hotel rating. Plume is one of only 32 restaurants in the country with a Forbes 5 Star, and the only one in Washington, DC.*
• Condé Nast Traveler, 2016, 2015- Readers’ Choice Awards, #1 Hotel in Washington, DCTrip Advisor, 2016, 2015 – Travelers Choice Top 25 Hotels in the U.S.*
• Travel + Leisure, 2016- #3 The Best Hotels in Washington, DC
• Historic Hotels of America, 2015- Best Historic Restaurant in Conjunction with a Historic Hotel – Plume
• Historic Hotels of America, 2015- Best Historic Hotel (75-200 Guest rooms)
• Wine Spectator, 2015-Best of Award of Excellence for Plume
• Travel + Leisure, 2015- Top 10 World’s Best-Small City Hotel
• TripAdvisor, 2015 – Certificate of Excellence for both Plume and The Jefferson Hotel
• Robb Report, 2015 – The World’s Top 100 Hotels
• US News and World Report, 2015 – Top 10 Best Hotels in the US
• Trip Advisor, 2015 – Travelers Choice Top 25 Hotels in the U.S.
Number of employees