The Peninsula Chicago
The Peninsula Chicago
108 East Superior Street
Chicago IL 60633 – United States
Since its grand opening in 2001, The Peninsula Chicago has been awarded numerous accolades including prestigious Forbes Five Star and the AAA Five Diamond awards for the last 18 consecutive years. Trip Advisor named The Peninsula Chicago the #1 Top Luxury Hotel in the U.S. in their “2019 Travelers’ Choice Awards” and U.S. News & World Report ranked The Peninsula Chicago #1 Hotel in Chicago and #2 in the United States in their “Best Hotels 2019” rankings. In 2020, for the second year in a row, The Peninsula Hotels was named the first and only hotel brand to achieve Forbes Five-Star status across all of its properties. The Peninsula Chicago is the city’s most luxurious and sophisticated hotel, offering guests Far Eastern graciousness together with Midwestern hospitality.
THE PENINSULA CHICAGO
History & Story
The Peninsula Chicago is the five-star hotel that brought traditional Asian service to a city already renowned for the warmth of its hospitality. The hotel has become an integral part of Chicago life and is considered the top choice for everything from accommodation to celebrations and corporate events. For this, the hotel credits its strong links to both the local community and international heritage.
This year, The Peninsula Chicago is honored to be recognized as part of the ‘2017 Travel + Leisure World’s Best Awards.’ Each year, the readers of Travel + Leisure, the largest travel magazine brand in the United States, vote for their favorites in all things travel in their ‘World’s Best Awards’ survey. The hotel is delighted that the readers have voted The Peninsula Chicago as the ‘Best Hotel in Chicago’ for 2017.
• Bespoke BMW house car, based on availability, for transport within several miles of the hotel.
• Peninsula Academy Programs, offering unique, cultural and educational experiences.
• 3-hour chauffeur-driven exploration experience of the city in a MINI Cooper S Clubman for guests staying in a suite.
Set in the heart of the “Magnificent Mile,” The Peninsula Chicago is ideally situated for visitors to experience all that the city has to offer. On the doorstep of Chicago’s premier business and shopping district, the hotel is located in the center of the city’s most exclusive shops and steps from the historic Water Tower. Chicago is a city of world-class status and unsurpassed beauty, drawing visitors from around the nation and the globe. Located on the shores of Lake Michigan in the heart of the Midwest, Chicago is home to internationally acclaimed cultural attractions, theatres, renowned architecture, incredible shopping and restaurants, great jazz and blues clubs and much more.
• The Peninsula Chicago was the first Peninsula Hotel to create Peter Bear, a costumed bear who wears the classic Peter Bear uniform.
• The staff is made up of 37 nationalities.
• Nearly 1500 guests attended The Peninsula Chicago’s 10th Anniversary Party.
• Guests of the hotel consume over 14,000 pounds of bacon, and over 40,000 pounds of chicken annually.
• The Peninsula Chicago is the first of The Peninsula Hotels and the only hotel in the city of Chicago with a skating rink overlooking Michigan Avenue.
• The Peninsula Suite features a private 2,000 square foot terrace with spectacular skyline views.
Children’s & Family corner
Family friendly programs and events as well as a variety of children’s offers and amenities create unforgettable experiences and special memories for The Peninsula’s most precious VIPs. The hotel has designed a series of programming that encourages family participation, allowing guests to discover iconic features of the hotel and explore local Chicago attractions throughout their stay.
– The Camp Peninsula family package offers special rates, teepee set up inside the guest room, plush logs, rocks and flames to build a camp fire and camping themed treats (i.e. S’more flavored treats).
– Peninsula Academy invites children to explore culture, lifestyle, cuisine and history through individualized classes, tours and activities. The Little Baker’s Class allows children to spend several hours with The Peninsula’s pastry team creating and decorating treats; Chicago by Air and Water includes a private helicopter ride over Chicago, a Sea Dog boat cruise on Lake Michigan and more.
– Available to all guests of the hotel, Keys To The City offers unique perks to some of Chicago’s best and most popular attractions. Offers tailored to children include complimentary 4D experience at the Shedd Aquarium, early VIP access to the Field Museum, special pricing for Chicago Helicopter experience and a Sun & Stars ticket to the 360 CHICAGO observation deck.
– The Peninsula Sky Rink, Chicago’s only hotel skating rink, opens its doors each November for both guests and locals to enjoy. Adjacent to the hotel’s Shanghai Terrace restaurant and four stories above Michigan Avenue, with views of Chicago’s iconic John Hancock building and the “Magnificent Mile,” the skating rink is open daily (based on availability) starting the weekend before Thanksgiving through January. Guests are encouraged to contribute a US$ 10 donation for children and US$ 20 for adults with 100% of the proceeds being donated to two Chicago children’s charities: Ann & Robert H. Lurie’s Children’s Hospital and Hephzibah Children’s Association.
The Peninsula Chicago has 339 luxurious and spacious guestrooms and suites furnished in a
magnificent classical style, including the 3,000 sq. ft. Peninsula Suite with its own 2,000 sq. ft. private terrace and Jacuzzi. Each guest room and suite is equipped with a state-of-the-art electronic system that allows guests to control guest room features with the touch of a button.
Redefining luxury and enhancing every guest’s stay with ease, elegance and the ultimate in personalization, guest rooms and suites are able to transform into any one of 11 languages at the touch of a button, complimentary long-distance and international VOIP calls and WiFi.
All guestrooms and suites at The Peninsula Chicago offer the following amenities:
• Marble bathrooms with separate shower and soaking tub, television, and hands-free telephone and radio, mood lighting and spa music
• Executive desk with printer scanner and fax
• Window-side dining table for two
• Complimentary wireless and high-speed Internet access
• Complimentary VOIP phone calls
• Tablet technology offering 11 languages
• Bedside charging for all smart phones
• Custom Pratesi linens
• Complimentary 24-hour use of the fitness facilities at The Peninsula Spa
• 55” and 65” televisions with sound bar in guest rooms and suites respectively
• Nutrition Center featuring Nespresso machine, exclusive Bernardaud china an complimentary coffee & tea
• In-room safe
• Complimentary daily newspaper and access to Press Reader for 4,000+ digital international publications
• Individual thermostat controls
• Extra-plush bathrobes
• Guest laundry and dry cleaning with same-day service
Bespoke BMW house car, based on availability, for transport within several miles of the hotel
• Guest laundry and dry cleaning
• 24-hour Room Service
• Airport transfer/car hire
• Valet parking
• 24-hour Concierge
• Child-friendly amenities, programs and activities
• Pet amenity and menu
• 24-hour access to fitness facility
• Peninsula Academy program, offering unique, cultural and educational experiences
• Guests who stay in a suite are invited to explore the city with a three-hour chauffeur-driven experience in a MINI Cooper S Clubman, based on availability
• Keys To The City program offers guests added benefits and exclusive access to Chicago’s best attractions
Restaurants & Bars
The Lobby: With magnificent sunlight streaming through 20-foot floor-to-ceiling windows, The Lobby is an impressive dining destination, featuring all-day dining of contemporary American cuisine with an approachable dinner menu and a spectacular Sunday Brunch. On Friday and Saturday evenings, guests can indulge in the decadent chocolate buffet “Chocolate at The Pen.” For a truly traditional teatime, The Lobby serves Afternoon Tea, featuring extraordinary and rare teas from around the world and exquisite savory and sweet accompaniments. Live music provides the perfect backdrop on weekends while guests enjoy delicious culinary creations. The restaurant continues to receive rave reviews.
Shanghai Terrace: Step into the seductive setting of Shanghai Terrace and savor distinctive Asian cuisine prepared by Chef de Cuisine Elmo Han. Consistently honored with the AAA Four Diamond Award, Shanghai Terrace features a menu of traditional Shanghainese and Cantonese dishes, with a modern twist. The Private Dining Room can accommodate parties up to 30 diners. Guests can enjoy outdoor dining on The Terrace during summer months.
The Terrace is a favorite spot for Chicagoans and visitors to soak up the summer sun and warm night breezes while overlooking the Magnificent Mile. Located adjacent to Shanghai Terrace restaurant, the outdoor rooftop lounge is the perfect place to savor an Asian-inspired lunch, dinner or enjoy small bites and cocktails.
Pierrot Gourmet: A European-style café and wine bar with alfresco dining in the summer. Pierrot Gourmet is the perfect spot for light fare. The menu, created Chef de Cuisine Norman Hargrove, includes freshly baked pastries, signature sourdough tartines, rotisserie chicken and salads, plus unique coffees and an extensive selection of wines by the glass.
Z Bar: Set above Chicago’s iconic Michigan Avenue, Z Bar presents beautiful city views, an array of globally-inspired cocktails, boldly-flavored food and the latest tunes from around the world.
Room Service: Available 24-hours daily, for those who desire an exceptional dining experience in the privacy of one’s room
• State-of-the-art fitness facility
• Eight serene treatment rooms and suites
• Half-Olympic-length indoor swimming pool
• Studio for stretching, exercise classes and yoga
• Manicure and pedicure room
• Relaxation area with fireplace
• Outdoor sun deck, serving health-conscious spa cuisine
• Full amenity locker rooms
• Personal Training sessions available
• Eucalyptus steam rooms
• Swimming lessons available
• Group Fitness classes
• Holistic massage therapies
• Signature body therapies
• Skin care therapies
• Manicure and pedicure services
The 15,000 square foot Peninsula Spa is Chicago’s most talked about spa and fitness center. Its floor to-ceiling windows ensure spectacular views. Guests can indulge in a wide range of relaxing and rejuvenating beauty therapies, inventive spa cuisine, the latest exercise equipment, a variety of fitness classes, and a relaxing pool (25 meter) and sun deck. Access to The Peninsula Spa is complimentary to all hotel guests. Membership to The Spa is also available.
Corporate and celebration events
The Peninsula Chicago offers over 12,800 sq. ft. of versatile meeting and event space, providing the flexibility for every type of event from intimate meetings to lavish galas. Gorgeous interiors with dramatic views and gracious, attentive service have earned make The Peninsula the premier venue for meetings and events amongst local and international industry leaders. To ensure a flawless experience, no detail is overlooked from the hotel’s on-site team of expert conference planners to an extensive range of state-of-the-art audio and visual equipment.
Hotel & Restaurants Awards
• As of 2020, The Peninsula Chicago has received the Forbes Travel Guide’s Five-Star Hotel Award every year since it’s opening, totaling 18 consecutive years.
• The Peninsula Chicago received the Automobile Association of America’s Five Diamond Award for 2020 for the 18th consecutive year.
• In 2019 U.S. News & World Report named The Peninsula Chicago “#1 Best Hotel in Chicago” and “#2 Best Hotel in the United States”
• Forbes Travel Guide named Z Bar in its “Verified List for 2019’s World’s Best Hotel Bars”
• Forbes Travel Guide included The Peninsula Chicago on its’ “Verified List for the World’s Best Rooms 2019”
• In 2019 The Peninsula Chicago ranked #1 Top Luxury Hotel in the US in TripAdvisor’s 2019 Travel Awards as well as #25 Top Luxury Hotel in the world.
• The Peninsula Chicago was listed in Conde Nast Traveler’s ‘Gold List’ for 2019 under “Best Hotels and Resorts in the U.S. and Canada”.
2017 Travel + Leisure World’s Best Awards : Best Hotel in Chicago
• The Lobby received a one-star rating by the Michelin Guide (November)
• Named Number One Best Business Hotel in Chicago and Number Five in The US by the Business Travel Awards by Conde Nast Traveler readers (October).
• Named Number Four Top Large City Hotel in the Continental US by Travel + Leisure magazine’s World’s Best Awards.
• Five-Star Hotel Award by Forbes Travel Guide’s for 2013
• Received the Automobile Association of America’s Five-Diamond Award (January)
• The Lobby awarded a perfect 4-Star review by Chicago magazine (September).
• The Lobby received a 3-Star rating, “Excellent” from Chicago Tribune (July).
• Shanghai Terrace voted “#1 Chinese Restaurant in Chicago” by Zagat Survey (June).
• Named Number Two Hotel in the Midwest region by the readers of Conde Nast Traveler (October)
Number of employees