The Resort at Paws Up USA
The Resort at Paws Up
60040 Paws Up Road, Greenough, MT 59823
Date of Creation
June 5, 2005
Hotel General Manager
Steve Hurst is originally from Montana and has over 15 years ofresort experience. In his prior roles include General Manager at The Salishan Spa & Golf Resort, a luxury property in the Oregon wine country. He was also the General Manager of the Heathman Hotel and in several Senior Management positions at the Allison Hotel, also a luxury hotel in Oregon wine country. At the Allison Hotel, also a luxury property in the Oregon wine country.
5 – Star Luxury Resort
The Resort at Paws Up’s development strategy is to continue to grow our brand within and beyond our 37,000 ranch. This year, we have purchased a private island on Salmon Lake, 20 minutes from the property for the ultimate exclusive lake experience for ourguests. Future projects include adding one guided adventure experience per year and to expand our accommodations in our luxury home and luxury camping categories.
The Resort at Paws Up
History & Story
You’ve heard about the Big Sky. You’ve seen its beauty on the big screen. Paws Up is a Montana resort that offers an up-close and personal Montana experience coupled with pure luxury. Surrounded by endless forests, intersected by 10 miles of the Blackfoot River and nestled under the most amazing starlit sky you’ve ever seen, Paws Up is a 37,000-acre canvas of picture-perfect Montana that you won’t experience at any other Montana resort.
Wilderness Adventure Center (renovation completed Winter 2016), River Camp (dining pavillion renovation opening May 2018), Fitness Center & Yoga Studio (renovation opening Summer 2018)
Date added extensions
North Bank Luxury Camp (opened June 2017)
Main Strengths, Special Touch
37,000 acre working ranch with luxury homes and luxury camping, 10 miles of the Blackfoot River, expansive private land and mountain views for all of our guests to experience while they have access to 40 plus activities.
Greenough, MT is 35 miles east of Missoula, MT bordering the Bob Marshall wilderness national forest. The resort resides 2.5 hours south of Glacier National Park.
Key sites/activities in the area
Our 37,000 acres of resort property, 100 miles of trails, 10 miles of the Blackfoot River and 1.5 million acres of the nearby Bob Marshall Wilderness Area combine to make for the ultimate outdoor playground for adults and kids alike. Saddle up for a definitive Montana horseback riding adventure, take your best shot at a world-class sporting clays course or experience Montana fly-fishing with an expert guide. Or kick up some dust on an ATV tour. Nearby championship golf may challenge you next. And, if that doesn’t satisfy your adventure appetite, there’s also boating, hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, paintball, rafting, rappelling, swimming and more.
• Offering excursions to Garnet Ghost Town, one of Montana’s best preserved mining towns from the early 1900’s
• Meriwether Lewis journaled about our Lookout Rock, an iconic view site on our property, while discovering the West.
• In addition to more than 300 head of resident elk, you’ll also see a couple hundred stunning Black Angus cows roaming the rolling pastures of the Ranch.
• Home to the only threebed room/two bathroom luxury camping tent in North America
The Resort at Paws Up features a pristine Rocky Mountain environment most kids will only see on TV. Supervised, age-appropriate activities include everything from hiking and horseback riding to fishing and mountain biking, as well as nature education, wildlife appreciation and wrangler activities. Our Kids Corps of Discovery Program ranges from ages 3-12 with half day and full day participation options with age appropriate activities. 24 hour babysitting services are available for children of all ages.
Family oriented facilities and activities
Facility Trough & Pomp- restaurants for families with delicious Montana style food served- Modern American cuisine- indoor and outdoor seating available, large group tables
Activity- River rafting- raft or float down the magnificent Black Foot River, amazing views, fun waves, exciting splashes
Activity- Trail Ride- enjoy a trail ride with our horses and equestrian team any time of day, horses for all ages and riding ability, enjoy a trail along the Black Foot River, or through the lush green forest- all year round
Activity- Chuckwagon Dinner experience- dinner onthe banks of the blackfoot, food prepared over an open flame, cowboy poetry, live music, horse drawn carraige rides, learn how to rope and brand
Activity- Go-kart Track- for kids ages 6 and up, take a ride around the Greenough 500, ½ mile outdoor go-kart track
Activity- Ropes course- challenge yourself as a family on our 3 level aerial skyline adventure ropes course- test your balance, strength and mind from our ropes course for all levels of participants and finish it off with a 40 foot free fall
Dog sledding- Join our local Montana Mushers with their adorble pack of Alaskan Huskies, for children ages 3 and up, enjoy a 1 hour trip tkaing in the dogs, mushers, and of course the amazing views
Ice skating & snow tubing- ice skating an tubing in a Montana winter wonderland- kids of all ages can skate and tubers at least 36 inches tall can take to the powder covered hills
Photography session- Resort photographer Stuart Thurkil will join your family on your daily activities and document your memories as you go or schedule a professional photoshoot with the beautiful Montana scenery as your perfect backdrop
Kids Corps of Discovery Camp – kids camp for ages 3-12 where children are divided up by age groups, learning about the west & enjoying local historics activities such as sifting for gold.
• Number of Luxury Camping Tents: 36
• Number of Luxury Homes: 28
Restaurants & Bars
• Pomp, Chef Sunny Jin, fine dining refined rustic ranch cuisine, all inclusive for dinner, alcoholic beverage soutside of the meal plan are a la carte
• Trough, Chef Sunny Jin, casual dining featuring a ranch table and a la carte with a western flair, all inclusive for breakfast and lunch, alcoholic beverages outside of the meal plan are a la carte
• Tank, Chef Sunny Jin, bar, dining during breakfast, lunch, and dinneri s all inclusive, all alcoholic beverages outside of the meal plan are a la carte
• Camp Dining, Chef Sunny Jin, each camp site features a dining pavillion with its own personal chef providing refined rustic ranch cuisine for breakfast and dinner
• Spa Town (full service spa treatmentfacility)
• 24 hour fitness center
• Yoga studio
• Grizzly Man fitness trail
• 100 miles of hiking, biking, and riding trails
Corporate & Celebration Events
• The Bull Barn, up to 200 people, link : https://www.pawsup.com/storage/pdf/groups/bull-barn.pdf
• The Saddle Club, up to 400 people, link : https://www.pawsup.com/storage/pdf/groups/saddle_floorplan.pdf
• Lewis & Clark Reception Barn and Auditorium, up to 200 people, https://www.pawsup.com/storage/pdf/groups/reception_floorplan.pdf
• The Cook Shack, up to 150 people, link: https://www.pawsup.com/storage/pdf/groups/cookshack_floorplan.pdf
• The Bunkhouse, up to 24 people
• 2019 Winter Adventure Journal, link : https://www.pawsup.com/storage/pdf/activities/2019-winter-adventure-journal.pdf
• Winterfest Event, link : http://www.travellermade.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/2019-winterfest-the-resort-at-paws-up.pdf
• Montana Master Grillers Event, link : http://www.travellermade.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/2019-montana-master-grillers-postcard.pdf
• Spring Break Travel Programming, link : http://www.travellermade.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Spring-Break-2019-Program-Brochure.pdf
• Springtime Experience Brochure, link : https://www.pawsup.com/storage/pdf/2019-paws-up-spring-guide.pdf
• Wedding Brochure, link : https://www.pawsup.com/storage/pdf/groups/montana-weddings.pdf
Extra Notable Features
• Private cooking classes
• White water rafting excursions
• Wilderness Workshops (visiting artists classes for guests)
• Private island lake house
• Chuck wagon dinners
• Hot air balloon and helicoptor rides
• Culinary event weekends
• Cattle drives
Hotel and restaurant Awards
Wine Spectator Award of Excellence 2014
Number of employees