New York, USA
20 East 76th Street
NY 10021, United States
Privately Owned by Denihan Hospitality Group, The Surrey was created in 2009. It is headed by Brooke Barrett and Patrick Denihan, CEOs.
The Surrey is a member of Relais & Châteaux
Built in 1926 as a residence hotel, the original Surrey was home to many of New York’s most eccentric celebrities over the years: JFK, Bette Davis, Claudette Colbert. Famous faces who recognized the allure of exceptional, discreet service.
In re-creating The Surrey, we collaborated with acclaimed interior designer Lauren Rottet and paid special attention to maintaining the integrity of this history while modernizing what has become New York’s most intimate address. The renovation program in 2009 cost $65 million.
• New York City’s only Relais & Chateaux hotel
• A collection of 31 original artworks by modern masters such as Chuck Close, Jimmie Martin, Claes Oldenburg and many more
• Seasonal Private Roof Garden
• Michelin star restaurant Café Boulud
• Bar Pleiades
• Award-winning Cornelia Spa
• Penthouse and Presidential Suites.
Location, Key sites and activities
Located in the Upper East Side of Manhattan, New York City, you can find nearby:
• Museum Mile, Madison Avenue designer shopping, Central Park, world class dining.
• Fifteen minutes from Times Square and other Midtown Manhattan highlights.
• 64 Deluxe Salon with King bed or two Queen beds
• 86 Grand Deluxe Salon
• 7 Ultra Deluxe Salon with King bed or two Queen beds
• 12 Grand Deluxe Suite
• 18 Ultra Deluxe Suite
• 1 Penthouse
• 1 Presidential
Restaurant(s), Bars & Stars
• Café Boulud – Awarded one Michelin star and 3-star review in The New York Times
Inspired by Relais & Chateaux Grand Chef Daniel Boulud’s unique twist on time-honored French cuisine prepared with fine seasonal American ingredients, Café Boulud celebrates New York’s café society with award-winning results. Led by Executive Chef Gavin Kaysen, the restaurant’s menu reflects Boulud’s four culinary muses: La Tradition, classic French cuisine; La Saison, seasonal delicacies; Le Potager, the vegetable garden; and Le Voyage, the flavors of world cuisines. Both an exquisite fine dining destination and a neighborhood treasure, Café Boulud is not to be missed.
• Bar Pleiades
Named for the beloved French restaurant frequented by Manhattan’s art world elite of the 1970s and 80s, Bar Pleiades combines the elegantly attentive service of a fine hotel bar with the distinctive cocktail menu of a talented mixologist. Bartender Darryl Chan has earned a reputation for working with seasonal market ingredients and house-brewed accents. While classic in spirit, his signature cocktails take their direction from the renowned Café Boulud just next door. The bar and lounge décor – inspired by both fashion icon Coco Chanel and the elegant lines of a 1930s Art Deco bar cart – features black and white lacquer finishes, French doors and quilted walls, inviting seclusion in intimate niches. Settle into a banquette and simply relax.
• Cornelia Spa
Award winning spa, it is an intimate space nestled on the second floor of The Surrey. With five treatment rooms, each with a private bathroom, Cornelia Spa provides a secluded retreat for hotel guests and local New Yorkers alike. The décor, an extension of the hotel’s beige and white palette designed by Lauren Rottet, provides a tranquil respite with subtle hints of Cornelia’s signature orange. The Cornelia brand delivers a thoughtful spa experience enhanced by signature elements including all natural botanical tastings to complement a carefully curated treatment menu. Intimacy and classic sophistication, cornerstones of Cornelia and The Surrey, are perfectly paired to create a timeless and stylish culture exclusively considered for you.
Hotel & restaurant(s) awards
• 2015 Conde Nast Traveler: Reader’s Choice – #1 Hotel in New York City
• 2015 Hotel Excellence Awards - Best Concierge
• 2015 US News and World Report – Top 20 Hotels in New York City
• 2014 – The Surrey ranked #1 in New York City, #6 in The United States and #59 in the World by Conde Nast Traveler Magazine, Reader’s Choice Awards.
• 2013 – One Michelin star-awarded Café Boulud.
• 2013 – Travel + Leisure’s Top 500 Hotels in the World
• 2013 – Cornelia Spa at The Surrey featured on the Departures Top 100 List.
Number of employees