Trout Point Lodge Canada
Trout Point Lodge
189 Trout Point Road, East Kemptville, Nova Scotia, B5A 5X9
Date of Creation
Hotel General Manager
As General Manager, Sophia is responsible for all aspects of Trout Point Lodge’s operations, and for ensuring the highest levels of guest satisfaction. Prior to her role at Trout Point Lodge, Sophia occupied various positions at the world-renowned Schloss Fuschl Resort & Spa in Salzburg, Austria. Sophia also has work experience in luxury retreats in British Columbia, Canada and in Western Australia.
5-star Luxury Wilderness Resort, Atlantic Canada’s only member of the Small Luxury Hotels of the World collection
We intend to reinforce our position as Atlantic Canada’s premier luxury wilderness resort through a continuing focus on three elements – five-star luxury accommodations and amenities, elevated hyper-local cuisine and gastronomy, and unforgettable curated wilderness experiences in our pristine wilderness home. There is no property anywhere in Atlantic Canada offering such a unique value proposition.
TROUT POINT LODGE
History & Story
Trout Point Lodge opened its doors in 2000 on a pristine 100-acre site adjoining the Tobeatic Wilderness Area in Southwest Nova Scotia. The Main Lodge is an architectural masterpiece constructed of massive spruce logs, with fireplaces constructed from locally quarried granite and sandstone. There is a unique collection of handmade furniture, including beds, tables and chairs, that were reclaimed and hand-made locally from indigenous timber cleared during the construction of the Lodge. No two pieces are the same!
Unique outdoor experiences, the highest levels of luxurious accommodation and amenities, and elevated and refined dining are the hallmarks of a Trout Point Lodge experience.
Date added extensions
Renovations and improvements are done every year, and within the past three years we have upgraded several ensuite bathrooms, replaced and upgraded our wood-fired sauna, added a new deck outdoor seating area, and remodelled our Great Room sitting areas and patio area.
We have also engaged with a local craftsman to design and make local furniture for our new suites, in keeping with the rustic style of the Lodge
Main Strengths, Special Touch
With only 13 guest suites, Trout Point Lodge offers an extraordinary level of personal service and attention unachievable in larger properties. Guests are greeted by name and we gladly cater to special requests, all with the aim of making guests feel at home, welcomed, cared for, and pampered. This might include a special something at dinner for those celebrating special occasions, or a bespoke gourmet picnic for those wishing to spend time alone on our pristine wilderness setting.
East Kemptville in Nova Scotia, Canada. Approx three hours from Halifax, two hours from Lunenberg and one hour from Digby.
Key sites/activities in the area
Trout Point Lodge was the world’s first certified Starlight Hotel, as accredited by the UNESCO-backed Starlight Foundation. We sit amidst some of the darkest skies in North America. Stargazing is a must-do activity for guests. Our Staff Astronomer brings the night skies alive through expert commentary and the use of advance telescopic equipment. Many guests tell us this is a highlight of their stay! Other popular activities include forest bathing, hiking, guided kayaks, guided canoes, guided SUP, yoga, nature walks, geology walks, culinary classes, wine appreciation workshops, and fly fishing excursions.
1. We are the world’s first Starlight Hotel and have some of North America’s darkest skies. Our staff astronomer conducts nightly stargazing excursions where the heavens come alive. It’s a highlight experience at Trout Point Lodge!
2. All our log & twig furniture is handmade from wood reclaimed from the forest when the lodge was built. No two pieces are the same.
3. Our wilderness surroundings are home to more than 200 species of birds (our team spotted 75 identified species just this season!), plus an amazing assortment of wildlife.
We welcome children above 14 years of age. No age restrictions for buy-outs.
• Number of suites: 14
• Number of Luxury rooms: 14
• Number of rooms, (keys) in all: 13
Trout Point Lodge is a quintessential luxury wilderness lodge nestled in the Tobeatic Wilderness Area right in the heart of a UNESCO Biosphere. Our Main Lodge contains nine guest suites. Beaver Hall has three quiet and private suites for those who prefer an extra degree of solitude and privacy, and our Lakeside Cottage is a self-contained 2-bedroom cottage perfect for couples or small groups.
Our Granite Suite in the Main Lodge is our flagship suite with in-room fireplace, large bathroom with double shower and separate claw-foot tub, handmade canopy queen bed and furniture, private reading room, and private outdoor patio with forest and river views.
There are 3 Fireplace Junior Suites on property, each with in-room fireplace, private balcony and handmade queen bed and furniture, and ensuite bath. There are two Fireplace Junior Suites in the Main Lodge and one Fireplace Junior Suite in Beaver Hall.
Treehouse Junior Suites are located on the top floor of the Main Lodge with lovely high views of the Tusket River, each with a wood-burning stove, handmade queen bed and furniture, and ensuite bath.
Deluxe Junior Suites are perfect for friends and family, with two queen or double beds, handmade furniture and ensuite bath.
We also have two King Suites for those who prefer a larger bed, both with a balcony and handmade furniture, and ensuite bath.
Located downstream from the Main Lodge on scenic East Meadow Lake, Black Bear Cottage has 2 bedrooms, a lovely wood-burning fireplace, TV with DVD player, direct dial telephone, WiFi, fully equipped kitchen, outdoor BBQ, ample decks, fire pit and comfortable living areas.
Restaurants & Bars
Hyper-local, refined cuisine is the hallmark of Chef Andreas Preuss’ Trout Point Lodge culinary team. We feature a gourmet four-course dinner menu that changes every day and focuses on the freshest, locally available seasonal ingredients from our local partner farms and suppliers, and from Trout Point Lodge’s own vegetable and herb gardens. For a two-night or two-week stay, you will never eat the same thing twice!
A variety of lunch options are on offer including packed gourmet lunches for those heading outdoors into nature, gourmet picnic baskets and a la carte lunch options served in our garden or on our terrace overlooking the Tusket River.
Breakfast is included in all suite rates and features fresh and diverse hot and cold items, breads and pastries baked in-house. Half or Full board plans are available on request.
• Our wood-fired hot tub and outdoor barrel sauna by the Tusket River are highlights of every stay at Trout Point Lodge. Perfect for soothing tired muscles after a wonderful day of hiking of kayaking.
• In-room massage services are offered by our Staff Registered Massage Therapist, and include 60 or 90 minute therapeutic options, deep-tissue massage options and much more.
• Forest Bathing is a highlight of a stay at Trout Point Lodge. Originating in Japan, it is a meditative and contemplative forest experience focusing on all five senses in as deliberate and unhurried way. Highly recommended as a relaxation technique and stress reliever.
• Yoga is offered on our stargazing platform (weather permitting) or in Beaver Hall.
Corporate & Celebration Events
• We offer private events and weddings for 28 -34 guests. A three-day buyout is required for weddings.
• Corporate meetings and retreats are very popular those who want to experience something different from a typical city hotel meeting room. We offer private formal meeting space, casual space for informal meeting arrangements, and the right amount of R&R and fun customized into every event
Extra Notable Features
Our award-winning culinary classes are part of Canadian Signature Experiences. Topics vary daily and includes Acadian cuisine, seafood cooking, pasta making, dessert-making and more. Reservations required.
Hotel and restaurant Awards
Wine Spectator’s Award of Excellence since 2009.
Restaurant Association Nova Scotia – Environmental Hero 2018
Five Star Alliance – World’s Best Restaurant 2016 & 2014
Number of employees