InterContinental Hotels Group
PROFILE & PHILOSOPHY
IHG – InterContinental Hotels Group is a global company with 12 hotel brands. With over 5,000 hotels and nearly 744,000 rooms in nearly 100 countries around the world, we know hospitality. Our vision is to become one of the great companies in the world by creating Great Hotels Guests Love. We will deliver this through our portfolio of preferred brands, our talented people and best-in-class delivery systems. At the heart of our culture is a commitment to act responsibly in everything we do.
IHG – INTERCONTINENTAL HOTELS TODAY
At InterContinental® Hotels & Resorts we believe international travel should always be alluring. We are dedicated to those who appreciate and enjoy The InterContinental Life – the glamour and exhilaration of fascinating places, mixed with our international know-how and local cultural wisdom.
As the world’s first international luxury travel hotel brand, we have been pioneering new international destinations for decades. Each of our hotels is a destination in its own right with a distinctive style and ambience, from historic buildings to city landmarks and immersive resorts in every corner of the globe.
HISTORY IN TEN DATES
- 2015: IHG acquires US based Kimpton® Hotels & Restaurants. Alongside IHG’s Hotel Indigo brand, the deal creates the world’s largest boutique hotel business.
- 2013: Priority Club Rewards, launched in 1983 and the industry’s largest and oldest loyalty programme, is relaunched as IHG® Rewards Club.
- 2012: IHG unveils HUALUXE® Hotels and Resorts, the first upscale international hotel brand designed specifically for the Chinese traveller.
- 2007: IHG announces a $1 billion relaunch of the Holiday Inn Brand Family, comprising Holiday Inn and Holiday Inn Express. Holiday Inn Resort® is launched in 2008, offering the perfect destination for family fun.
- 2004: IHG launches its new boutique hotel brand, Hotel Indigo®, with each property designed to reflect the local culture and history of the surrounding area.
- 2003: On 1 October, 2002, Six Continents PLC announces the separation of its hotels and soft drinks businesses (to be called InterContinental Hotels Group PLC) from the retail business (to be called Mitchells & Butlers PLC).This is completed on 15 April 2003 and IHG becomes a standalone company.
- 1995: Extended-stay hotel brand, Candlewood Suites®, is founded and becomes the first hotel brand to offer free guest laundry. IHG acquires it in 2003.
- 1994: Bass buys the Browns restaurant and Harvester chains, and develops its O’Neill’s and All Bar One brands.
- 1991: Bass launches limited service brand, Holiday Inn Express®.
- 1989: After legislation passes limiting the number of tied pubs major brewers can own, Bass significantly cuts its pub estate and increases investment in an international hotel business
- 1983: The Crowne Plaza® brand launches with a focus on business travellers.
- 1960: Bass becomes one of the largest brewers and pub owners in the UK through acquisitions of well-known regional brewing companies, including Mitchells & Butlers in 1961, and a merger with Charringtons in 1967.
- 1952: Businessman Kemmons Wilson opens the first Holiday Inn® hotel in Memphis, Tennessee. He had the idea while on a family trip to Washington D.C., where he saw the need for comfortable and affordable places for families to stay. Bass acquires the international part of the business in 1988 and the North American division in 1990.
- 1949: The first InterContinental hotel opens in Belem, Brazil. The InterContinental® Hotels & Resorts brand expands to become the world’s first truly international luxury hotel brand and Bass acquires it in 1998
- 1777: Our story begins when William Bass opens a brewery in Burton-on-Trent, UK.
The business later transforms from domestic brewer into global hospitality company.
TRAVELLER MADE HOTEL PARTNERS
+44 (0) 1895 512000
MORE IHG – INTERCONTINENTAL HOTELS GROUP ORIENTATION
As the world’s first international luxury hotel brand, InterContinental Hotels & Resorts has been pioneering travel across the globe for more than 70 years. We’re proud to share both international know-how and local cultural wisdom with our guests at every one of our hotels — from historic buildings to city landmarks and immersive resorts.
Club InterContinental combines personal service and exclusive privileges to make your stay extra special. For world-class service and unique details, book Club InterContinental
• 2017: The Atlanta Journal-Constitution named IHG in their ‘2017 Top Workplaces in Atlanta’ list
• 2017: IHG awarded ‘Top Employers United Kingdom 2017’ and ‘Top Employers China 2017’ certification by the Top Employers Institute
• 2017: IHG won a Gold award for ‘Best Management of Investor and Analyst Relations’ and Bronze for ‘Best FTSE 100 corporate website’ in Communicate Magazine’s Corporate & Financial Awards, which showcase excellence in all aspects of city and financial communications
• 2017: IHG named as one of ‘India’s Best Companies to Work For’ by the Great Place to Work® Institute
• 2017: IHG received a Silver award for ‘Best Corporate Website’ at the 2017 Digital Impact Awards
• 2017: IHG received a perfect score of 100 on the Human Rights Campaign’s Corporate Equality Index for the third consecutive year
• 2017: IHG ranked #1 Graduate Employer in the Hospitality, Leisure and Tourism sector and third overall out of the ‘Top 100 Graduate Employers’ by The Job Crowd
• 2017: InterContinental Hotels & Resorts, Hotel Indigo, Crowne Plaza Hotels & Resorts, Holiday Inn Hotels & Resorts and Holiday Inn Express all listed as ‘Top 10 Most Influential Hotel Brands’ in their respective segments by Meadin
• 2017: InterContinental Hotels & Resorts named ‘World’s Leading Hotel Brand’ for the eleventh time by the 2017 World Travel Awards
• 2017: IHG crowned industry leader for sustainability in the 2017 S&P Dow Jones Sustainability Indices, which are the gold standard for recognising sustainability performance
• 2016: IHG named ‘Britain’s most admired company in the leisure and hotels sector’ by Management Today
• 2016: IHG received Universum’s ‘China’s Most Attractive Employers Award’
• 2016: IHG awarded ‘Top Employers United Kingdom 2016’ and ‘Top Employers China 2016’ certification by the Top Employers Institute
• 2016: IHG certified as one of the 2016 Best Companies to Work for in Singapore and India by the Great Place to Work® Institute
• 2016: IHG listed as one of the ‘Top 10 Most Innovative Companies in Fitness’ in Fast Company’s 2016 Most Innovative Companies issue for the creation of our EVEN Hotels brand
• 2016: IHG awarded ‘ALIS Merger & Acquisition of the Year 2015’ at the Americas Lodging Investment Summit in January 2016 for the acquisition of Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants in 2015
• 2016: The Atlanta Journal-Constitution named IHG in their ‘2016 Top Workplaces in Atlanta’ list
• 2016: IHG CEO Richard Solomons named one of Glassdoor’s 25 Highest Rated CEOs in the UK as part of its annual Employees’ Choice Awards
• 2016: Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants listed in Fortune Magazine’s ‘Best 100 companies to work for’ list
• 2016: InterContinental Hotels & Resorts named ‘World’s Leading Hotel Brand’ by the World Travel Awards
• 2016: IHG Rewards Club won four Freddie Awards, including ‘Best Customer Service’ and ‘Best Redemption Ability’
• 2016: The Flyer Travel Awards named HUALUXE Hotels & Resorts ‘Best New Hotel Brand in China’