Race Course, Oracabessa,
Date of Creation
1989 – Owner Chris Blackwell sells Island Records and founds the Island Outpost group of boutique hotels
Boutique 5-star luxury
History & Story
Fleming discovers that 15 acres of tropical overbrush, formerly a donkey racetrack, is for sale in the small, buzzy banana port town of Oracabessa Bay, Jamaica. Fleming telegraphs the local realtor, “PRAY PAUSE NOT. IAN”. Fleming sketches his dream villa on desk blotter, naming it, GoldenEye. He returns to dream up his super agent 007, James Bond.
Date added extensions
2007 – Having already added 25 acres to the original 15-acre estate over a period of 30 years, Blackwell announces plans to add cottages and huts to the mix of villas that make up GoldenEye.
2010 – Major renovations
2016 – GoldenEye introduces the Beach Huts. Blackwell fell in love with the beach hut concept on a trip across Jamaica back in the 1980s. Now, he’s built a hamlet of huts. All are designed so you feel one step away from sleeping under the stars.
Main Strengths, Special Touch
Privacy, laid-back luxury, hip, relaxing, not posh, the real Jamaica
St. Mary Jamaica
Key sites/activities in the area
Turtle release program, James Bond Beach, Firefly Estate, Ian Fleming private aviation, Oracabessa town, Ocho Rios town, Blue Hole, Dunn’s River Falls, Oracabessa Foundation & Fish Sanctuary
Bob Marley owned the property for some time.
Sting wrote Every Breath You Take on property
All 14 James Bond novels were written on property.
There are chiildren’s activities
• Number of suites:
17 One Bedroom Beach Huts
4 Tall One Bedroom Beach Huts
3 One Bedroom Beach Huts with open-air Dune Room
2 Two Bedroom Beach Huts
8 One Bedroom Lagoon Cottages
1 One Bedroom Lagoon Villa
1 Two Bedroom Lagoon Villa
4 Two Bedroom Beach Villas
5 One Bedroom Beach Villa
1 One Bedroom Lagoon Hut
1 One Bedroom Ocean Front Villa
1 Three Bedroom Ocean Front Villa
1 Five Bedroom Fleming Villa
Total – 49 Accommodations with 62 bedrooms
Number of Luxury rooms: 49
Number of rooms, (keys) in all: 49
Restaurants & Bars
• The Gazebo (fine dining) – Built in an airy, tree-house style, the newly designed Gazebo (with lounge and restaurant) serves up dishes with an international flavor. Overlooking both Low Cay Beach and the Lagoon, the Gazebo is the sexy, open-air spot to enjoy cocktails while watching fiery Caribbean sunsets. Dishes range from grilled lobster tail to seasoned rack of lamb, complemented with an international wine list.
• Bizot Bar (main restaurant) – On the western arm of Low Cay Beach, Bizot Bar is the spot for stylish low-key dining. Located just steps from the sea and our fresh-water swimming pool, Bizot Bar serves breakfast and lunch that includes fresh salads, yummy burgers and tasty pastas, as well as famously authentic Jamaican specialties.
• Shabeen (rum bar) – Next to the pool by Beach Huts and Snorkeler’s Cove, Shabeen is the super relaxed spot for cocktails and drinks. Grab a Red Stripe and wander upstairs to the rooftop lounge and take in a panoramic view of the sea.
• Bamboo Bar (beach bar) – Very simple, very special this is our super laidback rum bar right on rustic Button Beach. With sand underfoot, enjoy the smoky flavors of Jamaican Jerk BBQ along with grilled fish straight from the sea. As soon as their boats pull in, local fisherman brings by their freshest catch.
• yoga, kids yoga, tennis, par fitness course
• 3 –swimming pools – fresh-water swimming pools at the Bizot Bar and at Shabeen. The GoldenEye saltwater splash pool at the very tip where Low Cay Beach extends to the sea
Extra Notable Features
• swimming, snorkeling, paddle boarding, kayaking, sunfish sailboats, Hobie cats, glass-bottom boat excursions, deep sea fishing.
• tours of Firefly (the house that Noel Coward built)
• plant a tree for USD$1,000 which is donated to the Oracabessa Foundation
Hotel & Restaurants Awards
2018 Tablet Hotel Awards People’s Choice
2018 Conde Nast Traveler Gold List
2018 Tatler 101 Best Hotels in the World
Condé Nast Traveller’s Gold List 2017
Travel and Leisure, World’s Best Awards, The Best Resort Hotels in the Caribbean, Bermuda, and the Bahamas, 2016
Fleming Villa: 2016 World’s Leading Luxury Hotel Villa by the World Travel Awards
Top Resorts in the Caribbean, 2016 Reader’s Choice awards – Conde Nast Traveler
Trip Advisor, Certificate of Excellence Award 2015
Trip Advisor, Certificate of Excellence Hall of Fame Award 2015
World Travel Awards (WTA), Caribbean’s Leading Boutique Resort 2015
World Travel Awards (WTA), Fleming Villa Caribbean’s Leading Villa 2015
World Travel Awards (WTA), Fleming Villa World’s Leading Villa 2015
Travel Weekly Magellan Awards Gold Winner, 2015
Trip Advisor, Certificate of Excellence Award 2013, 2014
World Travel Awards (WTA), Caribbean’s Leading Boutique Resort 2013, 2014,
World Travel Awards (WTA), Fleming Villa Caribbean’s Leading Villa, 2014
World Travel Awards (WTA), Fleming Villa World’s Leading Villa 2014
A Hotel Life Awards, Hotel most likely to change your life, 2014
Number of employees