Sandy Lane Barbados
St. James, BB 24024
Date of Creation
Hotel General Manager
AAA Five-Diamond Rated
Forbes Travel Guide Five-Star Rated
Leading Hotels Of The World
To continually train and uplift our team members and continue the enhancements to the property as we strive to be the premier luxury resort in the world.
History & Story
Originally built in 1961 on the site of an old sugar plantation, Sandy Lane firmly established itself as the premier address in the Caribbean and hosted many celebrities, business personalities, and royalty. In 1970, Sandy Lane Hotel and Golf Club was acquired by Trusthouse Forte, which operated the property until 1996, when it was acquired by Dermot Desmond and Partners and J.P. Mc Manus and completely rebuilt and expanded in 1998, re-opening in March 2001.
In 2008, the resort underwent several substantial and exciting refurbishment projects.
Main Strengths, Special Touch
Sandy Lane has it all: a perfect location overlooking the Caribbean Sea on a tranquil coral sand beach, shaded by mature mahogany trees ; the timeless and classic elegance of the Palladian buildings mirrored in the spacious comfort of the 113 hotel rooms and suites, a stunning private villa, exceptional golf, gourmet dining, an outstanding spa, superb sports facilities and finally, an exceptional level of warm Barbadian hospitality.
Sandy Lane is located on the western coast of the island of Barbados and sits on 1,000 feet of white, coral-sand beach beside the sparkling waters of the Caribbean Sea. The resort is approximately a 35-minute drive from the Grantley Adams International Airport.
Key sites/activities in the area
St. Nicholas Abbey
A catamaran cruise
Mount Gay Rum Tour
The hotel has a staff to the guest ration of 5 to 1.
The Treehouse Club is Sandy Lane’s dedicated children’s facility providing supervised activities for children between the ages of 3–12 years and is open between the hours of 10:00am to 5:00pm and 6:00pm to 8:00pm. The qualified and dedicated team provides art and crafts, drama, sports and games. Located on the lower level of the Treehouse Club, is The Den, especially for teenagers. Young adults ages 13 and older can enjoy their own lounge with pool tables, electronic and board games, air hockey, foosball, a jukebox and computer stations.
• Number of suites: 17
05 ONE-BEDROOM DOLPHIN SUITES
These one-bedroom suites afford a stunning view of the Caribbean Sea. These suites are 1,443 sq. ft.in size and are enhanced by a 25′ x 11.6′ patio. They include a large living room, dining area, master bedroom with double vanity, bidet, WC, separate shower, tub, walk-in closet and a separate powder room with WC and vanity.
03 TWO BEDROOM LUXURY DOLPHIN SUITES
These two bedroom ocean view suites are 1,575 sq.ft. in size. They include a living room and dining area. The master bedroom has a walk-in closet, double vanity, bidet, WC, separate shower and tub. There is also a separate powder room with WC, shower and vanity. The second guest bedroom has twin beds with its own private balcony.
06 TWO BEDROOM LUXURY ORCHID SUITES
These two bedroom garden view suites are 1,575 sq.ft.in size with a 25’ x 8’ patio for total relaxation. They include an elegant living room and dining area, along with a double vanity, bidet, WC, separate shower and tub in the master bedroom. The second bedroom has its own private balcony and separate tub and vanity in the bathroom.
02 PENTHOUSE SUITES
These two bedroom penthouses are set amidst beautifully manicured gardens. They are 3,971 sq.ft. in size and consist of a large foyer, living and dining area, kitchen, a master bedroom with double vanity, bidet, WC, separate shower and whirlpool tub, walk-in closets and a separate powder room with its own WC, shower and vanity and a 2nd bedroom 779 sqft in size.
The Sandy Lane Suite measures approximately 7,360 sq.ft and boasts four elegantly appointed en-suite bedrooms, private elevator, a spacious open-plan design and direct access to the beach. An infinity pool on the edge of the terrace sets the scene to watch perfect sunsets. The Suite features a kitchen, a bar at the entrance to the living room, an open-air dining area, a TV area and a studio/office.
• Number of Luxury rooms: 96
26 ORCHID ROOMS
These garden view rooms are 779 sq.ft. The bathrooms are spacious and cover an area, which is 21.10’ in length and 14.2’ wide. These marble bathrooms have a double vanity, separate tub and shower area, with WC and bidet.
10 OCEAN ROOMS
These spacious ocean view rooms are 707 sq.ft.in size. They are centrally located. These rooms include double vanity, bidet, WC, separate shower and tub.
60 LUXURY OCEAN ROOMS
These luxury ocean rooms are 867 sq.ft in size and all have spectacular views of the sea and sunsets. These rooms include a double vanity, bidet, WC, separate shower, tub and a lady’s make-up area.
The Villa at Sandy Lane – This 5-bedroom Villa is nestled in lush gardens on the grounds of the hotel. The Villa is just over 7,300 sq.ft in size and sleeps up to 14 persons.
• Number of rooms, (keys) in all: 113
• The Spa at Sandy Lane is 47,000 sq. ft. and features 14 VIP treatment rooms, relaxation and meditation rooms, panoramic sauna, experience showers, Rhassoul, a hydrotherapy pool and fitness facilities.
• A 2,500 sq. ft. the gym includes an exercise studio, meditation room, and fitness assessment room.
• A free-form 7,500-square-foot swimming pool in the garden patio setting.
Corporate & Celebration Events
• Executive conferences and board meetings are welcome at Sandy Lane. There are three meeting rooms and a host of other venues for elegant functions.
Extra Notable Features
• Sandy Lane features three golf courses: The Old Nine, The Country Club, and The Green Monkey.
• The tennis club includes 2 paddle courts and 8 championship tennis courts with 2 different playing surfaces.
• Sandy Lane offers a full range of water sports including water skiing, towable rides, kayaking, Hobie Cat sailing, and snorkeling.
Hotel and Restaurant Awards
• Forbes Travel Guide Global Star Ratings 2016
Forbes Travel Guide Five Star Award Winner
• AAA/CAA Five Diamond Ratings 2016
AAA/CAA Five DiamondAward Winner
• Conde Nast Golf Digest Editors’ Choice Award
Best Resort of The Americas 2016
• Conde Nast Readers’ TravelAwards
Top 20 best hotels in the Americas & the Caribbean 2016
• Entered into Trip Advisor’s Certificate of Excellence Hall of Fame 2015.
• AAA/CAA Five Diamond Ratings 2015 – AAA/CAA Five Diamond Award Winner
• Travel &Leisure – 500 The World’s Best Hotels 2015 – #1 Hotel in Barbados
• Trip Advisor – Travellers’ Choice 2015 – Top 25 hotels in the Caribbean
• AAA/CAA Five Diamond Ratings 2014 – AAA/CAA Five Diamond Award Winner
• Conde Nast Readers’ Choice List – Readers’ Travel Awards 2014
• LA Travel’s 10 Best North American Hotels & Resorts for 2014
• ‘Top Golf Resort’ by Andrew Harper
Number of employees
Approximately 680 persons