Anse de Grand Cul de Sac
97133 St Barthélemy
French West Indies
+590 590 52 90 00
Privately owned – Owner Mr David Bonderman
Date of Creation
Hotel opened in 1986 – Le Guanahani celebrated its 30th anniversary in 2016
Martein van Wagenberg is Managing Director of Le Guanahani. He is responsible for all resort operations at the seaside property. Guided by the philosophy that “a hotel’s reputation for providing an exceptional guest experience starts with the employees,” Van Wagenberg draws on more than a quarter century of experience in hospitality, with particular expertise in the Caribbean. He arrived at Le Guanahani following nine years at Rosewood Hotels & Resorts, managing Rosewood Little Dix Bay in Virgin Gorda, BVI, and Las Ventanas al Paraiso in Los Cabos, BCS Mexico.
5-star Luxury hotel – LHW
Development of the Wellness aspect
History & Story
St. Barth raised its profile as a tourism destination in the 1970’s and Le Guanahani quickly caught on when it opened its doors in 1986, establishing itself as a haven of casual luxury, comfort and elegance. An authentic reflection of St. Barth, the hotel has evolved into the island’s finest destination for active travelers, families, wellness-minded guests, and more, providing an unsurpassed array of leisure activities.
-2012-2016: Full Renovation of the property. In January 2016, after a four-year and $40-million renovation, Hotel Guanahani & Spa, St. Barth’s only full-service boutique hotel, reopened as Le Guanahani. Le Guanahani’s Managing Director Martein van Wagenberg joined forces with top creatives from Luis Pons Design Lab and David M. Schwarz Architects to reinvigorate the property’s layout and interiors to heighten the property’s exclusive and residential feel as a casually elegant private retreat. Le Guanahani’s new look encompasses a captivating tropical landscape on the private 18-acre peninsula property. The redesign was inspired by the functionality and essence of the iconic Panama hat, and each element, from the guest cottages and dining areas to the room keys and website are designed to welcome, delight and make one feel at home while embodying the property’s art de vivre ambiance.
Date added extensions
- April 2016: Le Guanahani Elevates Spa Experience with My Blend Facial Treatment
Main strengths, special touch
Le Guanahani is the only hotel on the island of St. Barth to offer a comprehensive spectrum of resort services and amenities. The hotel offers two generously sized swimming pools, two distinct beaches, an array of watersports, tennis courts and natural hiking paths, as well as complimentary children’s programs, a fitness center, a spa and a host of wellness activities.
Located on the north east part of the island of St Barts, in between the Grand Cul de Sac blue lagon and open Ocean. It is about 10 min away from St Jean Airport and 15 min away from Gustavia.
Key Sites/activities in the area
Watersports activities in the lagoon: Kayak, Paddle, Snorkeling, Windsurf, Jet Ski or Kitesurf (Grand Cul-de-Sac is a premier spot for kite-surfing).
-Cook Your Catch: One of the hotel’s most unique programs includes an outing with a local fisherman followed by a dinner featuring the guest’s chef-prepared catch of the day.
- Blue & Green: Le Guanahani obtained the Green Globe certification in 2016.
- On Reserve: Le Guanahani is located within the protected reserves of Grand Cul-de-Sac, Marigot Bay and Maréchal Beach, three of the five zones that comprise the island’s 2,500-acre Réserve Naturelle marine park.
Le Guanahani offers a world of fun and entertainment for kids of all ages. The resort’s Kid’s Club is open daily from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Participation is complimentary for children between ages three and twelve years. Lunch is offered at Indigo when accompanied by a counselor. Activities are adapted on a daily basis according to the ages, preferences and number of children attending. Counselors speak French and English. Babysitting services can be arranged through the concierge with 24-hour notice.
Le Guanahani offers 67 keys in total : 30 rooms, 27 suites and 10 unique signature suites. All accommodations offer a private terrace, ceiling fans, air-conditioning, in-room safe, telephone, stocked mini-bar, LCD flat-screen TV, iPod dock, Video On Demand, high-speed wireless Internet access and bathroom with honey-tumbled tile shower and Clarins amenities.
-Ocean Bay Room
-Ocean Bay Pool Room
-Ocean Cove Room
-Ocean Cove Junior Suite
-Garden View one-bedroom suite with or without private pool
-Ocean View one-bedroom suite with or without private pool
10 Signature Suites: Ten one-of-a-kind signature suites are located throughout the property. The residentially styled two- and three-bedroom suites offer unmatched privacy and spaciousness, unique amenities, and a choice of garden and ocean view settings.
Restaurants & bars
- Indigo for Breakfast: The hotel’s main restaurant overlooks the pool and the beach of Grand Cul-de-Sac. The restaurant proposes an extensive full American breakfast buffet throughout the morning.
- Indigo on the beach for lunch: Situated between Le Guanahani’s two palm-studded beaches, Indigo on the Beach is the essence of barefoot elegance and the most picturesque spot for toasting the sunset. In this relaxed atmosphere, surrounded by postcard-perfect views of the sea, guests enjoy light fare from Indigo and refreshing hand-crafted cocktails.
- Bartolomeo: Situated in the heart of the hotel’s lush tropical gardens, Bartolomeo offers bistronomic cuisine. Showcasing the island’s best ingredients and bold Caribbean and Mediterranean spices, the menu is enhanced daily with the freshest seasonal market produce.
- Beach Bar: Centrally located near Grand Cul-de-Sac and Indigo, The Beach Bar is the place to meet and celebrate the moment with a late-afternoon cocktail
• Experience unforgettable serenity at Spa My Blend by Clarins. Nestled amongst exotic tropical gardens, the spa offers rejuvenation, customized treatments and an array of amenities including an adults-only swimming pool, steam room, private outdoor showers, relaxation areas and a spa boutique. The spa’s extensive menu of services is delivered by qualified specialists using the finest products from Clarins. Le Guanahani is one of only eight hotels in the world to offer My Blend, the first skincare brand to incorporate lifestyle factors such as climate, sleep, diet and stress into the development of its formulas.
• Wellness session: We offer a variety of private sessions with a fitness coach (Pilates, Yoga, Zumba, Acqua Fitness)
Corporate and celebration events
• Private Event: Le Guanahani provides an amazing stage for photo and fashion shoots, product launches, cocktail receptions and other private gatherings. Located between Marigot Bay and Grand Cul-de-Sac, the hotel’s Coconut Grove provides a stunning beachside location for special events for up to 120 persons. In addition, the hotel’s restaurants may be reserved for private events based on availability. The beachfront setting of Indigo accommodates up to 120 persons, while the elegant garden setting of Bartolomeo accommodates up to 50 persons.
• Incentives/Meetings: To enhance group stays, Le Guanahani offers a variety of customized private dining options across a number of distinct venues, from elegant welcome receptions and gala dinners to casual beach barbeques and picnics.The hotel also features a 538-square foot conference room that accommodates up to 25 people in a boardroom-style set-up and 40 people theatre-style. Offering a quiet location, the room is air-conditioned and suffused with natural light.
Extra Notable Features
• Cook your catch program: Le Guanahani is the only hotel on the island offering a deep-sea Atlantic fishing excursion in combination with a chef-prepared dinner. Guests head out on a morning fishing trip with an experienced, seventh-generation local fisherman and, when they return to the hotel, the day’s catch is prepared according to their preference—as ceviche, sashimi, tartare, tataki or simply grilled—as part of a three-course tasting menu lunch or a five-course tasting menu dinner.
Hotel & Restaurant Awards
• Condé Nast Traveler: Readers’ Choice Awards: Best Resorts in the Caribbean
• CNN: World’s Most Beautiful Beachfront Hotels
• Condé Nast Traveler: Readers’ Choice Awards: Best Resorts in the Caribbean
• Forbes Four-Star Award
• Bridal Guide: Spa Favorite
• World Travel Magazine: Luxury 50
Number of employees